Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slither

Train Attendant
When riding the TE from San Antonio to L. A. , is there a perferred side of the train to sit on? Also, how close are you getting to the Mexican border? Might be making that trip in the near future, so just being curious. Thanks for your input in advance.

Upon leaving El Paso, you should be on the left for the Mexican border. At first, it will just be across the freeway and the Rio Grande, but there are good views because the town on the other side is on a nice hillside. If it is dark, it is quite notable that there are a lot fewer streetlights and lights on in the houses.

Then you will cross the Rio Grande into New Mexico, and there is a hillside on the left. There are usually some immigration vehicles parked there, just waiting for anyone that might walk by:

1-dectrip_18.jpg

After you pass by the hill, you might think you are done with the border, but don't give up yet, not even if it is dark out! Around the corner appears one last glimpse. This is the closest one yet! I have never been to Mexico, and to me this is a fascinating glimpse into a different kind of life.

1-dectrip_19.jpg

1-dectrip_20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some images from the SL/TE from a couple of trips LA to Temple, TX and back. We also did the TE from LA to CHI a couple of months ago...I like the route through eastern Arizona and Western Texas. The south side of the train gives the view of Mexico as you briefly travel 30 feet or so from the fence.
Beautiful photos! What kind of camera are you using? Sharp as a tack! You must have a long lens, too, as the photos of Mexico make you feel you are "right there."

Thanks for the info and photos. If things work out we might try to do a round trip from CHI to L A.

Here's some images from the SL/TE from a couple of trips LA to Temple, TX and back. We also did the TE from LA to CHI a couple of months ago...I like the route through eastern Arizona and Western Texas. The south side of the train gives the view of Mexico as you briefly travel 30 feet or so from the fence.
Beautiful photos! What kind of camera are you using? Sharp as a tack! You must have a long lens, too, as the photos of Mexico make you feel you are "right there."
The camera is a Canon 30D (8 megapixel) DSLR with a 17-55 f/2.8 zoom. Regarding Mexico, the train is pretty much "right there"! The tracks are only 30 feet or so from the fence.

I have heard of kids on the other side of the fence throwing rocks at the train as it passed by the border. No rocks as we passed through a couple of days ago though; just a Mexican man giving us the one-fingered salute as we passed by. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back