Texting Woman Survives Train Impact

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nshvlcat

Service Attendant
While walking and texting, a FL woman survived an impact with a CSX train. She walked around the crossing gates (which were down) and into the path of the train. She was clipped, tossed into the air, and suffered a compound fracture to her right arm and injury to her right leg.

Train traffic was delayed a few hours.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1426074948.713596.jpg
Is it too horrible of me that I'm really laughing at that?

(Might forward that image to my colleague who teaches a class on evolution....)

This results in a scientific conundrum:

Darwin was wrong - The fittest do not survive because the idiots should be eliminated from the human race by this time. All that scientific mumbo jumbo is now down the drain.

OR

Darwin was right. The idiots are the fittest and those with brains will soon become extinct.

Do the theories of evolution do not account for luck?

FWIW

Herbert Spencer coined the phrase 'survival of the fittest' in 1864 in his book - Principles of Biology.

Though Darwin did add Spencer's phrase to the 5th edition of his book - On The Origin Of Species.

Well, she made a darn good effort at skimming herself out of the gene pool, better luck next time.

Darwin was wrong - The fittest do not survive because the idiots should be eliminated from the human race by this time. All that scientific mumbo jumbo is now down the drain.

OR

Darwin was right. The idiots are the fittest and those with brains will soon become extinct.
Maybe the idiots manage to successfully breed more before they get wiped out. Being "fit" is of no value if you don't leave copies of your genes behind....

How did the crew even know to stop?

Really?

I'd stay away from railroad tracks too if I were you...

How did the crew even know to stop?

Really?

I'd stay away from railroad tracks too if I were you...
The articles all said that the woman walked AROUND the gates and INTO the passing train. Not that the train hit her as it approached.

Forgive me for parsing the words as they were written, but it sounds like she could have been just dumb enough to have walked INTO a MOVING train.

OR

Have you seen the movie "Idiocracy"? That movie scarred me for life! I can really see that being a plausible future for the US the more I inetract with millenials these days.

Have you seen the movie "Idiocracy"? That movie scarred me for life! I can really see that being a plausible future for the US the more I inetract with millenials these days.
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”-Socrates

Indeed, "fittest" is only judged retrospectively by who had the most descendants.

It also depends on when you look. I'm sure there were some dinosaur lineages which appeared to be very fit, biologically speaking, just before they were completely wiped out by the asteroid. Environmental change can cause "fitness" to change very suddenly. (One reason climate change is so risky. Humans look really fit right now, but if we screw the climate up, we could all become completely unfit -- for the new environment -- very quickly.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back