Thank You

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Britdave

I asked for your help on this site about 5 months ago - the assistance was tremendous (Viewliner, Amfleet & Bill haithcoat?? to name but a few). As Brits and our first experience with Amtrak we were overwhelmed. Did Chicago to Albuqerque then on to LA in sleeper then up and down the Californian coast in coach. Was an experience we will never forget - the observation lounge is such a simple idea I can't believe how we have overlooked it this side of the pond. The staff in the diner were amazing and you beat our trains in 9 out of 10 categories (the 10th being punctuality).

It took us about 15 hours from LA to our hotel in San Fran so I can understand why it is not a business option but as tourist travel is largely underestimated in the UK (I will do my best to change this on a small scale).

A wonderful holiday we will never forget.... San Luis Obispo is ......wow

Thanks again

Britdave, so good to hear back from you. Glad everything worked out so well. Yes, that upper-level sightseeing adds much to the trip. And just being on the second deck, even in your coach seat(aside from the lounge car), adds a lot to the trip.

Thanks for getting back to us.

If you need future help riding the rails in the US, keep this post in mind, and we will help as much as we can.

Britdave said:
It took us about 15 hours from LA to our hotel in San Fran so I can understand why it is not a business option...
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip! :)

Yes, you must have taken Amtrak's scenic route from LA to SF (the Coast Starlight train). It is a beautiful ride, but isn't popular with the business travelers. It is known nationally for running late all the time, and is often called the StarLate.

Amtrak runs another train route further inland from Los Angeles to San Francisco (San Joaquin route) which makes the trip in about 8 1/2 hours and is much more popular with business travelers because it runs on time most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back