Thanks a lot UP!!!!!!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While we are at it the numbers for CSX and NS are as follows:

NS LD Trains under control: 5

NS LD Trains over 1:00 late: 0

CSX LD Trains under control: 7

CSX LD Trains over 1:00 late: 0
UP had the worst record for a very long time -- but after the most recent lawsuit, UP cleaned up its record. CN has a dreadful record but (like UP) it got better since the most recent Amtrak complaint at the STB.

CP seems to have a consistently bad record, but there aren't that many trains which spend time on CP (basically it's just the Empire Builder and the Adirondack) and they both spend a lot of time on other railroads, so I find it hard to rate.

BNSF has had a good record since Matt Rose became CEO.

NS has had a good record even longer.

CSX used to have a mixed record -- now I think it has the worst record. CSX seems to have assumed the mantle of "openly hostile to passenger trains" from UP.

With regard to CP versus BNSF on the Empire Builder, last December I was on a very late eastbound Empire Builder. We lost 6 hours right out of the gate due to mudslides between Seattle and Everett. They were deadheading the consist from Seattle to Everett, but a new mudslide happened after they dispatched the train from Seattle and it had to hold at about Edmonds for the tracks to be cleared and inspected. We lost another 2 hours in Stevens Pass because of downed trees. So we were 8 hours late into Spokane. All that was "Act of God" stuff, not BNSF's fault, and BNSF gets kudos from me because from Spokane all the way to Minneapolis/St. Paul we didn't lost any more time, despite being wildly out of slot. I don't recall us ever being put into the hole for a meet while on BNSF.

Then we got on the CP. We lost another 4 hours between MSP and CHI because CP put us in the hole for everything!

Last edited by a moderator:
CN treats VIA terribly though. In my experience this winter.

I agree with CSX being the worst, at least in my experience. Although the latest I've been on an Amtrak train in years and years was this summer on the Builder. Granted... It's an usual case but it's still BNSF track.

Four hours and fifteen minutes late through Agency, Iowa. I'm surprised the train only lost thirteen minutes between Omaha and Creston, Iowa, and a mere two minutes between Osceola and Ottumwa, Iowa. Usually more time is lost between those locations. The only spot to worry about losing time now is around Galesburg, I think. After that the Zephyr usually makes up some time before reaching Chicago. Although, I suppose that doesn't matter now if you're getting on a bus at Galesburg.

All's well that ends well. Talked with Guest Rewards and got our reservation switched to the CL. That actually works out better in some ways though as we are staying with a buddy of mine who lives near Martinsville.

And now we're sitting just outside the freight yard in Denver......because we can't get ahold of the dispatcher in order to obtain permission to move. CAN'T GET AHOLD OF THE DISPATCHER?????? :angry: :angry: :angry: What in the name of Sam Hill is this garbage UP is pulling?? :angry:
Well there's your problem. Sam Hill was with the Great Northern :D
James Hill was with the Great Northern. Was Sam his younger brother?

And now we are waiting for #3. We had to wait for #5 and now waiting for #3. And we are at least 35 minutes from Princeton. And #3 left Princeton maybe 15 minutes ago. So it's sit and wait time again. Oh well.

And NOW :lol: we are so late there is some doubt they will hold the CL for us. And no I won't quit riding Amtrak nor do I hold Amtrak responsible for any of this. Just now in Princeton and hoping for no more delays.

I am on 6, sitting on a blankety-blank siding, waiting for a UP track gang to clear the track. In a thunderstorm no less. They said it would be just a few short minutes...... 2 1/2 hours ago!!!!!!! We were already an hour and a half late out of Fraser thanks to more UP BS. We are sure to be almost 4 hours late into Denver.....not good when you are supposed to catch the Cardinal that leaves Chicago 3 1/2 hours after 6 gets in. :angry: :angry: :angry:
Sorry you stuck on 6. I hopefully I see you guys now that I am 4/3 in the diner - :)

Well, at least they are letting you know. When I was on a hugely late Empire Builder in December, we got no news at all of the situation with connections while onboard. We were told, individually, in Passenger Services in Chicago at 4am after we arrived.

Also, they didn't entrain Passenger Services folks at MSP with arrangements, like they've done before when I was on very late Builders. Passengers were badgering the poor conductor, and Amtrak operations hadn't told him anything.

Good luck with your connections. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got on the horn just aftet the good news thru Guest Rewards and snagged the last bedroom on tomorrow's CL. Again not like I wanted but that's the way she goes. Hope they put us up in a fancy place. :lol: And I am very grateful they told us.

At passenger services now. Lots of upset people because we were assured they'd hold the CL for us. In fact the AGR agent received an email to that effect. It' s a mess with only two people at the desk at Passenger Services. And those two seemed to be surprised that the CL wasn't held either. They seemed to be caught off-guard.

At passenger services now. Lots of upset people because we were assured they'd hold the CL for us. In fact the AGR agent received an email to that effect. It' s a mess with only two people at the desk at Passenger Services. And those two seemed to be surprised that the CL wasn't held either. They seemed to be caught off-guard.
CHI being CHI, one more time again. :wacko:

CHI being CHI, one more time again. :wacko:
That it is. I already threw a fit yesterday; One or two a week is all I can handle. : lol: Apparently they are bussing us to the Willowbrook Holiday Inn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back