Thanksgiving NEC trains selling out

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently watched a passenger pour her large coffee directly on the seat next to her. Then she proceeded to tell everyone that they probably didn't want to sit next to her since the seat was wet and there was a leak.
On my most recent Keystone ride, the roof was leaking water straight onto the seat next to mine, and nobody decided to use Amtrak's added amenity of on-board shower so I had the adjacent seat vacant all the time. Not due to my wrongdoing though, just Amtrak and rain Gods teaming up.

Having a kid that's puked all over the place (including the interior of an airplane), calling a parent "maggoty" because of something they have little control over is a pretty crappy thing to do.
Agree 100%.

To the main thread topic...I haven't seen any special Thanksgiving timetables issued yet. It seems as though those frequently come out by November 1st, usually for the NEC, the Michigan trains, and the Cascades. Any word on whether those will happen this year?

Give it about another week or so. I would think the timetable would be out by then. At any rate, here are the commuter rail runs (and likely what will be running on them):

11/29/15
New York To Washington DC:
1057: 11:20 am - 3:25 pm (NJT)
1099: 12:40 pm - 4:25 pm (NJT)
1063: 3:30 pm - 7:05 pm (MARC)
1065: 8:21 pm - 11:49 pm (MARC)

Washington DC to New York:
1054: 9:55 am - 1:30 pm (MARC)
1056: 2:30 pm - 6:05 pm (MARC)
1058: 6:05 pm - 9:53 pm (NJT)
1082: 7:03 pm - 10:58 pm (NJT)

One thing about the Northeast Corridor....going back in history to the PRR days......they were famous for heroically attempting to accommodate all who desired to ride, by running whatever it took to accomplish that goal. They would not give up, until everyone got where they were going. True "mass transportation".

That said...I imagine the NEC carries more passengers nowadays, then the PRR ever did, even during WWII holiday periods, due to a much larger population today...

It is generally accepted that PRR did not carry as many persons Wilmington - WASH in the WW-2 as Amtrak and MARC now carry. That is part of the problem that will nly be mitigated when PHL - WASH is all 4 track.

FWIW, Amtrak has posted Thanksgiving week timetables on its website for the NEC, Empire Service, and Keystone Corridor. No real surprises at first glance.

Via Facebook:

The official Thanksgiving Operating Plan for the NEC is out. Just like last year we will borrow two train sets from MARC & NJT.
8 car NJT sets (MU sets):
NYP-WAS as trains 1057 and 1099
WAS-NYP as trains 1058 and 1082
6 car MARC sets (with an HHP8 & an Amfleet Cafe):
WAS-NYP as trains 1054 and 1056
NYP-WAS as trains 1063 and 1065

For the record 384 QCY to CHI and 385 CHI to QCY have been been added on Wed and Sun.

FWIW, Amtrak has posted Thanksgiving week timetables on its website for the NEC, Empire Service, and Keystone Corridor. No real surprises at first glance.
The link for the NEC pdf is broken, at least for me.
Working for me.

They've added a Michigan timetable as well. 10 extra trains. Seems similar to last year.
Some AUers already know this, but I maintain an archive of Amtrak timetables in PDF format since 2009. I have the Holidays & Specials, too.

Via Facebook:

The official Thanksgiving Operating Plan for the NEC is out. Just like last year we will borrow two train sets from MARC & NJT.
What NJT and MARC equipment will they be using? I would guess not the bilevels, or will it be a rare chance to ride bilevels from NYC to WAS?

Via Facebook:

What NJT and MARC equipment will they be using? I would guess not the bilevels, or will it be a rare chance to ride bilevels from NYC to WAS?
Same as every year.... (also mentioned in the quoted post)... Arrow III multiple units and MARC single level cars.

Well considering they don't use the NJT MLV, I'd rephrase that to who in their right mind would want to ride in a set of Arrow III's from NYP-WAS... Answer, no one. The general public doesn't know that they'll be riding in commuter cars. It states in the Turkey Day TT that some equipment may be "borrowed" but many people don't look at that TT. They go to Amtrak.com and book their ticket and find out the day they ride that their on Commuter equipment.

Only if they're really not paying attention:

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 8.17.15 PM.png

Edit:

Carrying over from the Facebook conversation Steve and I are having, you just got fact....

CHECKED!!!

MATT-HENDRICKS-huge-hit-hockey-hit-body-check-gifs.gif

Also:

G8be2YO.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than curiousity why would anyone want to ride in an NJT multi level for 3 and a half hours?
Why would anyone want to ride Arrow III for 3 and half hours? They are cramped 2-3 seating. At least the NJT multi levels have 2-2 individual seats and are newer/brighter. If I were to be thrown on a commuter equipment for NYP-WAS run, I'd anyday take NJT multilevel over NJT Arrows.

Does this not look inviting to you as far as commuter trains go?

NJT_Bombardier_ML-Interiora.jpg

Presumably these people are trying to travel between Washington and NYC and would prefer not to walk. Using commuter equipment is hardly a new occurrence, and seems to have gone without incident in the past, so I don't really understand the consternation.

Presumably these people are trying to travel between Washington and NYC and would prefer not to walk.
I will note that it is very hard to walk from Washington to NYC. New Jersey has a nasty habit of building roads with no sidewalks, and there are a number of rivers where the nearest pedestrian crossing is 50 or 100 miles inland from the NEC.If you ask Google Maps, it'll direct you across bridges without sidewalks. Even if you have the 76 hours free.

So they may not even be able to walk if they want to. :p

Only if they're really not paying attention:

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 8.17.15 PM.png

Edit:

Carrying over from the Facebook conversation Steve and I are having, you just got fact....

CHECKED!!!

MATT-HENDRICKS-huge-hit-hockey-hit-body-check-gifs.gif

Also:

G8be2YO.gif
I don't remember if last year the trains were shown as "Commuter Train Extra" or what have you. I know in the past it was shown as a "Holiday Extra". Go figure.

I was referring to the poster's comment about the multi level, not Amtrak's use of them, which we know is not the case. I wouldn't want to do the trip on the MARC cars or the Arrows, but would begrudgingly accept them as opposed to driving or taking the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back