Thanksgiving Weekend AGR shopping portal bonus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exiled in Express

Lead Service Attendant
Among today's e-spam, I received an email offering 5x AGR points for about 20 merchants through the shopping portal. Of particular interest is newegg's 10pts(was 2)/dollar and free after rebate software and shoebuy which was a generous 14pts/dollar and with the 5x is now an amazing 70 points per dollar! Still a gamble of how much effort will be necessary to make them post but there will be a lot of shoes gifted this year. :p

I got this email as well. Are you absolutely sure you get points this way? Based on what I read and what I see, I agree with your math, and I've called CS to make sure the math works this way but she nor her supervisor was sure. Are there past examples of similar promotions showing that you got points this way? Thanks.

I got this email as well. Are you absolutely sure you get points this way? Based on what I read and what I see, I agree with your math, and I've called CS to make sure the math works this way but she nor her supervisor was sure. Are there past examples of similar promotions showing that you got points this way? Thanks.
Good questions! Wondered them myself, reading the email.

I just bought a piece of light-weight rolling luggage on shoebuy.com - which was 25% off listed price (for Black Friday). I am hoping that I get 5 times the 14 points per dollar as promised. I have purchased shoes from this retailer previously and always received my points.

My usual theory with these bonuses is that I only buy things I'd buy anyway. It may sound obvious, but I have a bit of a shopping passion, so it pays to be cautious! :blink: Yesterday I was looking at a cute dollhouse kit on Home Depot. Today I got the email from AGR and Home Depot was one of the bonus merchants! So I bought the kit and if I get the extra points, great, but if not at least I still have a fun project. :)

Sorry... I asked a question that I then answered for myself by re-reading the ad.

Still a good deal on the shoe site!

So another question:

If I buy something using my AGR mastercard, how many points do I get? Still double the basic price, or does the points-per-dollar rate for that store get doubled?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Something seems too good to be true:

Logged into the AGR shopping portal, I find that MagazineLine subscription service offers 21 points per dollar. The New Yorker magazine for one year is about $70 (near or at their regular price, it seems).

So, $70 times 21 points is 1470, times 5 is 7350.

Can it be that I can order that magazine and get about three-quarters as many points as I can buy annually for approximately FOUR TIMES that amount?

I'm dying to know the answer to this before the weekend is out.
I am reading the promotion as you only get 5 times the normal "rate" for the featured retailers, of which there appear to be 12. Frankly, I think the deal I received on Shoebuy.com looks too good to be true, but I hope it is not. I could have purchased the same duffle bag at JCPenney for about $8 less, but would have paid sales tax and not been promised a boatload of points.

Thanks Penny, I saw that I had misread.

There are still good deals to be had with the selected retailers, if you find something you want.This must be AGR's version of Black Friday - or Black Weekend, I guess it is.

Sale is thru Monday, right?

Yep, the sales is on till Monday.. I am glad to see Home Depot on the list too! I am looking for a Christmas gift there, and I am going to hold off till Monday to see if they got anything for Cyber Monday!

I got the email, but I can't find it. Now I would like to order from shoebuy.com. What did it say or how do you get the 5 X points? I tried the normal way, but it did not indacate how to get the 5Xs points

Any help?

I got the email, but I can't find it. Now I would like to order from shoebuy.com. What did it say or how do you get the 5 X points? I tried the normal way, but it did not indacate how to get the 5Xs points

Any help?
I received the email that mentioned 5x points on 12 specific retailers that were listed in the email. I then clicked on the link "shop online" and I was directed to the AGR shopping site. At the top of the list of retailers was "featured retailers." Shoebuy.com was the first one on the list. There was no mention of the 5x the "regular" points, on the AGR website.

I purchased 3 items from Shoebuy yesterday and if I actually get the 5 times the "regular" 14 points per dollar, it would be a better deal that buying points at the standard rate (which I could not do now since I have reached my yearly limit). I hope I get my points.

The email I got specifically stated that the 5x points would not be reflected on the AGR points for shopping website.

Non-featured retailers in the Points for Shopping mall will earn standard rates. Point listings online do not reflect 5x point bonus promotional values.
I ordered things from Saks that I actually wanted. Will order luggage from Shoebuy later today and return if there is not more clarification around this by the last return date.

Just bought about $250 worth of stuff on Shoebuy- that should translate to about 17,500 points. Considering it cost $275 to buy 13,000 points (with the 30% bonus), then this a great deal!! It is like getting the stuff on Shoebuy for free (or even better knowing I spent $250 for several pairs of shoes and getting a one zone roomette trip for free)!! :)

When AGR ran the back to school promo in August, I had several purchases then and they all posted correctly with the proper bonus amount!! I have faith this will

be the case this time as well!!

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't really pay much attention to Black Friday this year. Just didn't have anything I really needed I guess and I had to spend more than usual on last minute holiday transportation this year. I'm still mulling over a $200 discount on Apple Macbook Pro with Retina display. Probably the deepest discount I've seen on those.

I received an iteration of this email offer this morning. On the shoebuy.com site there is also today only 25% off HOWEVER it says:

• Cannot be combined with any other offer

I'm on the verge of making a purchase BUT I wonder if this means no 5X points if one takes the 25% off. :help: :help:

I received an iteration of this email offer this morning. On the shoebuy.com site there is also today only 25% off HOWEVER it says:

• Cannot be combined with any other offer

I'm on the verge of making a purchase BUT I wonder if this means no 5X points if one takes the 25% off. :help: :help:
I am operating on the understanding that it is points OR discount, not both.

So who is responsible for these point to post? ie Who do you contact in the event you have trouble with points posting or the correct amount of points posting, AGR or the merchant? What is the proper procedure for requesting theser points? How long should you wait before you start inquiring? :help:

For what it's worth, I didn't get to take advantage of the bonuses, was out n the woods for thanksgiving week, but I have scored major points via the shopping portal, something like 60,000 points or so this year just from shopping. Points have always posted, usually within 3 weeks or so. If you are going to buy anyway, it's a great way to rack up points fast.....especially at those inflated rates!

My points for all 3 separate transactions I made with this offer posted today! That is the good news. The bad news is that I think the points totals are off slightly (less than 10%) and I will have to call in to try to have it corrected!

Bingo, got those 70 points per dollar... And saw a huge boost in my points total! Nearly fell out of my chair when I logged into my AGR account just now!

Yep !!! I did the same thing this morning. I bought my wife a purse, and a badly needed rolling duffel for myself from shoebuy and did indeed get the websites "KICKOFF" promotional discount and 70 points per dollar. I was worried I would get one but not the other, it worked out great for me. Now that 1 zone trip has just turned into a 2 zone vacation :cool:

My points from 3 of my 4 purchases posted today. I made 2 purchases on 11/23, one on 11/25 and one on 11/26. All but the 11/25 posted. The points and the first two were accurate, however, the points posted on the last transaction were 12 points short, which is not enough to motivate me to make a phone call. However, if the 4,800 points from the 11/25 transaction do not post, then I will be making a phone call.

I am a fairly happy camper. :)

Back