The Canadian, next year, I hope

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
I will probably take the Canadian across country mid-Septmeber next year. I will probably book next week. Of course I can get the basics from the website, and already have. But I want to hear any tips, suggestions, ideas from any who have taken the trip recently, from the grassroots, so to speak.

Is September a good time to travel? I had thought the crowds would be gone and the weather still ok? It is still ok in September isn't it? Where is the scenery the best?

What to do in Toronto and Vancouver? Sure I can and will check the websites, but also want to hear from "real people" not just the chamber of commerce review.

Also, anybody have any idea about its punctuality? I have heard that there is a lot of padding in the schedule.

Did you enjoy the food, the service, etc?

How long will you be in Toronto and Vancouver, and how mobile will you be?

Going out, I will fly from ATL to Toronto on either Sunday morning or Monday morning, train leaves Tuesday morning, arrives Vancouver Friday morning.

Coming back lv Vancouver Sunday afternoon, gets to Toronto Wednesday mid-day. Will fly back home Thursday morning.

So....I will be in Vancouver from Friday a.m. to Sunday late afternoon---that for sure. The time in Toronto is variable depending on whether I fly up Sunday or Monday. That kind of depends upon how much I can budget. The good news about that is that the U.S. dollar amount will be much, much less than the quoted Canadian dollar amount. Was overjoyed to realize that.

I can think of some things you could ride the Toronto Transit Commission's 3 subway lines, and check out their streetcar system. Also if you're into sports the Hockey Hall of Fame and Skydome are close to Union Station as is the CN Tower the tallest free standing structure in the world, that has the world's highest observation deck. It also has the amenities of any large city. You could even if time in Toronto permits (and it might not) ride VIA's corrodor from Toronto to Montreal on their new Renissance equipment.

In Vancouver there is a large Chinatown, the skytrain and BC Place. If I think of more I'll put it here.

Call "the Mayor of Winter Park" PAtrick Kelly. Kelly has got to be the biggest pain in my buttm but he drools over the Canadian. It seems like every other word out of his mouth is "the Candadian." :lol:

Hey Bill,

I did the Toronto to Vancouver run just a couple months back, and it was the best train ride ever (I've traveled in the US and Europe)!!

Food great, the on-board activities great (the dome-lounge cars each have an 'activity guide'). I was never bored.

Best scenery is Thursday afternoon approaching Jasper and from Jasper onwards quite excellent. But I even liked the forests/lakes of day 1 and the praries day 2. There are a couple good stops where you will have time to get out and look around.

I assume you are going by sleeper, or at the very least, a berth. Personally, I would do the berth since they are so large and comfy, and the shower in the car was always in great working condition. Why waste money on a private room? The Park Car was my favorite place to hang out, but the other dome-lounge cars were great as well.

In Toronto, go to the Toronto Islands (ten minute ferry ride) and enjoy walking along the seawall. I went TWICE. Also Queen Street West has some interesting shops and eateries, and the Eaton shopping cneter was okay as shopping centers go. I didn't bother with the CN Tower since I had seen Sears Tower in Chicago.

Vancouver is excellent: Granville Island Market is a MUST!! A nice city just to wander around in. Stanley Park is good, too.

Lastly, I highly recommend that you stop in Jasper if you have the chance. The best Rockies I've ever seen; far superior to Colorado. You can get a cheap B&B downtown and just go to lakes, mountains, whatever, for two days.

Good luck and have a great trip. Feel free to write for more info.

If possible, stay in the Royal York hotel in Toronto. It is one of the old Canadian Pacific hotels, and is connected directly to the station in Toronto.

I always try to have breakfast in the CN tower's revolving restaurant. If that is still operational, that is great on a clear day.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Yes, I will be going in a sleeper--have not decided yet what type I want. (these are the "cars I grew up with" so I am thinking it through......

Special note to Battallion: Yes, I do remember that you know somebody who goes on and on and on about the Canadian. I will try not to.......I have ridden it before, after all.

But again, keep the suggestions coming. The trip is a long way off, but I will reserve the space very soon, perhaps tonight or tomorrow.

It is official---I have now made my reservations to leave Toronto Tuesday Sept. 14 , 2004 to Vancouver. Arrive in Vancouver on Friday morning(three nights trip)

Leave Vancouver coming back to Toronto on Sunday Sept. 19. Arrive Toronto Wednesday Sept. 22 I will be in what is called a double bedroom in each direction. That is similar to a deluxe bedroom in today's terms, thugh it does not have a personal shower. Shower is down the hall on Via-Rail. For the record, older equipment had very, very showers, unlike today. This equipment has had to be rebuilt to incorporate one per car.

Some of you may recall that my birthday is on Sept. 21. This means I will turn 60 on my way back. In otherwords, the trip is guaranteed to age me one year---I will go out at 59 and come back at 60! Depressing thought....oh, well....what better way to observe one's 60th birthday than on a train, if one has to become 60 at all!

Oh, yes, Via Rail considers one a "senior" at age 60---I explaiend that I would beocme 60 DURING the trip and asked if I could qualify---they just laughed at me! (twice---I called two different times, got same response).

I almost think that if I had been 60 when the return BEGAN I would have qualified for a discount on the return,not sure.

When I took the trip 30 years ago, I went out on Canadian National(their top train was called the Super Continental) and came back on what was then-called The Canadian, on Canadian Pacific tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back