The Crescent and Atlanta

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Well now that I've moved here to Alabama, I feel the need to ride on the Crescent as I have never done that yet. As the next two weeks, I will get some time off and feel this may be my only chance for a while to ride home to Texas via New Orleans. But my delimma is, I really want to get home. Haven't been home in months, and my dad's gf who is a flight attendant has offered to let me use some stand-by passes. So its very tempting to use the free passes from ATL to DFW. So if I do this trip, I'd of course have to over night in NOL and catch the Sunset to Houston. (Another portion I haven't done) I'm thinking of booking a hostel in NOL and I've found a couple at about $20 bucks a night. Anyone familiar with hostels in NOL?? I would then stay in Houston, visiting mom and probably fly to DFW and visit the other part of the family.

Here's the fun part...I'm going to drive from Texas to Rochester, NY! Yes you heard me...drive. I've voluteered to go with my sister whose in ROC bring the car up there for her to use. From there I'd either fly back to Atlanta and drive back to Alabama or if time permits take the train back. (I'll probably have to fly stand-by as I don't have that much time to get back to work) My main concearn is parking my car. Does the ATL Amtrak offer long term parking for free or for a fee? Or I could drive to Anniston, and park there if thats free. But it does me no good if I'm flying back into ATL. BHM is also a possibility but AA does not offer as many flights there. Don't wanna get stuck! I also don't make the most money right now, so I really don't want to spend much either.

So you see my little predicaments here. No money. Want to ride the train. But want to get home too. And where to park the car of course. Oh, and does the MARTA go anywhere near the Amtrak station??

Thanks for the help!

Chris

ATL no longer offers long-term parking -- short-term only. However, there is a Super 8 Motel across the street which will let you park for $10/day on a first-come, first-serve basis. If the motel is full, they may say no. You may want to call the motel beforehand to make sure they still offer this.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I hate to say it WPK, overall thats probably a longer and more expensive alternative.

If you're flying back into ATL why not park in Econo Park and then take a cab or MARTA back into the city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am wondering how long it would take you to drive from Texas to Rochester? Would you do all the driving yourself, or share with your sister? I am interested as I will be in Texas myself in a few weeks, and am still toying with options of Amtrak, Greyhound, and car hire to get around.

SLH

Assuming straight driving with no stopping, it would take 22 hours and 52 minutes to drive from Dallas Union Station to downtown Rochester. That also assumes that one drives an average of 60 MPH.

Just a note about the very small Amtrak station in Atlanta. Why is it so small??? Because it was never meant to be a major terminal---it was built from day one to be a suburban station. So, trains on that route would pause at that station just for 2 or 3 minutes, then proceed downtown to the big stations( there were two) and do their major work there.

Thus, very little parking, very little food, very little anything.

Getting from either the airport or downtown to Amtrak is fairly easy. Board any northbound or northeast MARTA train, and at Arts Center station change to a number #23 bus. Ask the driver to call out Amtrak, he or she usually will anyway--and it is about a 5 min. bus ride from the Arts Center Station to the tiny Amtrak station.

CAREFUL: Until last Friday I would have told you that you do not need a trasnfer between the train and thie bus at Arts center. That has JUST changed. You will buy a BREEZE card. Hold onto it. You will exit the train at Arts Center Station. go upstairs bus area and give your card to the driver. See MARTA on the net for details.

Those reading this who have been to the Arts Cetner Station---this will clearly cut down on the number of people who walked in off the street(some of them even innocently) without paying.

Well I've finalized an itinerary, and I'm dissapointed to say I will not take the Crescent or City from Atlanta to Houston. I'll have to save that for another trip. I did find out that I can park my car at a few of the MARTA stations for $4 per day. I just have to drive clear to the west side of ATL up I-85 to do so. But its worth saving the 3 dollars a day.

I'll fly from ATL to DFW on standby on AA and spend two weeks in Texas. Then its a long drive to Rochester, NY. (trust me, everytime I take a roadtrip, I just think how great it would be to take a train through that part) But I am going to get a Amtrak ride in from ROC to NYP. I have a 3 hour window to make it from Penn Station to JFK. The nice thing about flying standby is being flexible with my flights. If the 280 is late I have several other flights on AA to choose from, even at LGA.

I'm bad at trip reports, but I'll try and make one this time. I'm so far behind though.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back