The Dark Knight and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Well I just saw the new Batman movie: the Dark Knight. It was a great movie!

Did anyone notice some of the scenes, but apparently Batman's underground hideout appears to be right under the Amtrak yards in Chicago......er em Gotham City. Funny we walked right passed the entrance on our last AU gathering in Chicago.

The next scene filmed showed very brief moments of some P-42 locomotives in the yard. I mean brief because the camera work was spinning around as cars were blowing up and smoke and fire were all over the place. This followed by a heritage car pulling past.

Anyone else notice this?

Did anyone notice some of the scenes, but apparently Batman's underground hideout appears to be right under the Amtrak yards in Chicago......er em Gotham City. Funny we walked right passed the entrance on our last AU gathering in Chicago.

The next scene filmed showed very brief moments of some P-42 locomotives in the yard. I mean brief because the camera work was spinning around as cars were blowing up and smoke and fire were all over the place. This followed by a heritage car pulling past.

Anyone else notice this?
Dang, now I gotta go see the movie again just to look for this! :lol:

Oh well...I could think of worse things to do with my time... :p

Well, I'm supposed to see it again today (renting a zipcar that gives me AGR points!).

I don't remember a lot of what you mention, but I do remember one scene taking place with a moving car that (IIRC) explodes while a slowly moving Horizon coach lumbers past the scene.

Don't forget that scene when Bruce Wayne and Alfred stopped in at Giordanos... ;)

Anyone else notice this?
How on earth did I miss this seeing it on the largest screen in the US? Well, I guess it's back to the theater! <grin>

Rafi

Anyone else notice this?
The old Post Office in Chicago at the corner of Canal and Van Buren was used for the filming. At the rear of the post office building closest to the river, there was a sign "Gotham City Police" The Amrak tracks are directly under the post office, so much of that area appears in the film.

another fun fact i've seen the movie 5 times now :rolleyes: and the car number on the amfleet 1 that rolls by is 94674 lol just incase u really needed to know i was going to start a topic on this very thing but looks like i got beat lol

another fun fact i've seen the movie 5 times now :rolleyes: and the car number on the amfleet 1 that rolls by is 94674 lol just incase u really needed to know i was going to start a topic on this very thing but looks like i got beat lol
There are no Amfleets with that number. All Amfleets start with either a 2, 4, or an 8 and are 5 digit numbers.

I noticed those scenes too. In addition, I saw canal street buy the entrance to the Amtrak parking garage. This was in the beginning of the movie, and it was a scene from inside a car/van en route to the robbery. I drive be there every time I decide to park and ride on Amtrak.

There are no Amfleets with that number. All Amfleets start with either a 2, 4, or an 8 and are 5 digit numbers.
oh my bad it looked like an amfleet it was a single level car looked just like all the ones on the NEC what was it then cause it deff started with a 9

Last edited by a moderator:
oh my bad it looked like an amfleet it was a single level car looked just like all the ones on the NEC what was it then cause it deff started with a 5
Did it start with a 5, or a 9?

If it started with a 5, then it could be a Horizon car, which is a single-level car. There wouldn't be a 54674, but there would be a 54574.

Technically an Amfleet can start with a 9. Remember the Cab Cars are number 96xx. Likelihood of one being in Chicago is low, but it's possible in theory.

Technically an Amfleet can start with a 9. Remember the Cab Cars are number 96xx. Likelihood of one being in Chicago is low, but it's possible in theory.
Technically no, since technically the Cab cars are Metroliner cars, not Amfleet's. They were built years before there was even an Amtrak, much less an Amfleet.

On the other hand cab cars 9646 - 9652 are currently assigned to Michigan service.

Technically no, since technically the Cab cars are Metroliner cars, not Amfleet's. They were built years before there was even an Amtrak, much less an Amfleet.

On the other hand cab cars 9646 - 9652 are currently assigned to Michigan service.
Alan we have no cabcars in service here unless you count cabbages. I have not seen a cabcar on a michigan service train since i was bout 10! although they did take some of those and take out the cab and made coaches from them, which they call michigan coaches but i think they retired them in 2002.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan we have no cabcars in service here unless you count cabbages. I have not seen a cabcar on a michigan service train since i was bout 10! although they did take some of those and take out the cab and made coaches from them, which they call michigan coaches but i think they retired them in 2002.
I didn't say that they were in service, just that they are assigned to Michigan service. Whether Amtrak actually runs them I can't say, but Arrow lists them as being assigned to the Michigan car/locomotive pool.

Potato potahto. It looks like an Amfleet for the most part, it's got the interior of an Amfleet, there are just some difference between the two (like the trucks and the fact that one has a cab in it). And according to Geoff Sarbutt all of the aforementioned Cab Cars are still working the NEC of his last reports.
9646 NEC (October 2007)

9647 Overhauled Bear DE (May 2008), collision damage, July 1993

9648 Stored, Bear DE, collision damage, April 2005 (July 2007)

9649 NEC (July 2007)

9650 NEC (April 2008)

9651 NEC (May 2008)

9652 TTCI Pueblo CO, renumbered from DOTX220 to DOTX222 (May 2007)

I've never seen a Cab Car in Michigan (in recent years), and none of them are ITCS fitted (we're lucky they're ACSES fitted).

And according to Geoff Sarbutt all of the aforementioned Cab Cars are still working the NEC of his last reports.
9646 NEC (October 2007)

9649 NEC (July 2007)

9650 NEC (April 2008)

9651 NEC (May 2008)

I've never seen a Cab Car in Michigan (in recent years), and none of them are ITCS fitted (we're lucky they're ACSES fitted).
I'm not sure where Geoff gets his info from, but 9652 was actually sold to Bombardier for use with the Turbo Train, something that even I overlooked when I listed the car numbers assigned to Michigan service.

By the way, although the cab cars are the only ones still listed as active, there were other Metroliner coaches that also saw service in Michigan and other areas too.

I'm not sure where Geoff gets his info from, but 9652 was actually sold to Bombardier for use with the Turbo Train, something that even I overlooked when I listed the car numbers assigned to Michigan service.
By the way, although the cab cars are the only ones still listed as active, there were other Metroliner coaches that also saw service in Michigan and other areas too.
Geoff's built up a small army of spotters throughout the country that help him track the items. Myself included. With some of the newer people he asks for photo evidence, but once proven reliable he trusts the information you're providing is accurate.

And according to Geoff Sarbutt all of the aforementioned Cab Cars are still working the NEC of his last reports.
9646 NEC (October 2007)

9649 NEC (July 2007)

9650 NEC (April 2008)

9651 NEC (May 2008)

If he still counted those as cabcar when they were Michigan coaches, he is still wrong cause those are long gone... either in storage or scrapped.

I finally saw it last Thursday; I have to admit that I'd forgotten about this discussion until I noticed the train going by mentioned above.

More interesting to me: in the scene where he shoots out a glass door and then rides his motorcycle through what looks like a blueish mall with shiny floors...

That was Millenium Station (previously Randolph Street Station), whence Metra Electric goes into the southern suburbs, and the South Shore goes to Indiana and (near) my hometown. I've been going there since it was a 'complete' (not under construction) but drab Randolph Street, to when it was a maze of plywood 'walls', to its present incarnation. That scene was a special treat for me. :)

Anyone else notice this?
Yep, one of the first things I noticed about that scene.lol Even caught the number of one of them. #30. I happen to see her all the time around Springfield, IL. I think I've got her on film a good three or four times.

What? You know the Dark Knights from Mount & Blade? They were taken out from the game but I think you can bring then back somebow. I heard that they were really hard to deal with, like some "rogue" Knights in game mods!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back