The Downeaster - 7/9

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan72

Lead Service Attendant
Part II - The Downeaster

I was staying at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel which is right by the T’s Green Line. I boarded about 45 minutes before my scheduled departure from North Station. When I arrived at the stop, I was a bit confused about having to above, and then cross the street into North Station. I wandered around a bit and then waiting for the boarding call. I had round trip business class tickets and was assigned to the car right in back of the P42 which would pull us up to Portland. About ten minutes before departure, we were called to board and I headed for my car. I sat on the left side which was where the single seats were located. Five other gentlemen were in the car and all of us occupied the single seats. We departed North Station and made our way to Portland with several stops along the way. I had hoped to see more oceanfront along the way, but not until Old Orchard beach which was about 20 minutes from Portland. It still was a beautiful trip passing by several rivers and inland marshes.

The train staff were very friendly and I chatted for awhile with John who was the train host. I asked him about the bus schedule into downtown and went off and grabbed a schedule and other useful information about getting around Portland. He also pointed out that I should show the bus driver by Amtrak stub and it would get me a free bus ride. We pulled into Portland on time and headed up the long covered walkway into the station area where it serves both buses and the Downeaster. After getting my bearings I headed out to wait for the bus to come by. At first, a couple of us were waiting right by the drop-off area, but quickly realized that the bus picked up along the street running along the station. The first bus that stopped by was heading for the mall, but the driver told us that the other one would be coming by in about 5 minutes which it did. I rode until downtown and got off and headed for the waterfront where I enjoyed a lobster roll at the Portland Lobster Company before going on a boat cruise of the harbor which lasted for about an hour and a half. After the cruise, I did a little bit of shopping for gifts for family back home and then took a trolley tour of the city. If any of you have any time in Portland, I would definitely recommend the boat cruise and/or the trolley – especially if you are on limited time.

At about 6:00 p.m., I decided to head up to the Metro PULSE station which is the hub of the bus system. I met up with a couple that I chatted with briefly and he explained to me that the next bus was due to leave at 6:15 and the next one would not be by until 7:20 (We depart at 7:55), so I was glad I got to the Metro PULSE when I did. About 5 minutes later the 6:15 bus came along and we headed back to the station. The driver did not accept tickets this time, but I was prepared with my $1.25 bus fare. I walked around the station and got some shots of the spare P42 and cars on standby and at about 7:40, we were called to board. I headed to business class again (although I hated to leave the couple I was chatting with at the station as we were having some great conversation). I settled down into business class and had a chance to peek into the P42 as they had the door open into the compressor area. Just before leaving, the conductor closed it off. After departing, I took a look around and realized that I was the only person in Business Class. I ordered the chicken sandwich in the snack car which was very good and chatted with the attendant for awhile. She was really nice and would peek in from time to time to make sure things were okay with me. I watched a beautiful sunset as we made our way back to Boston. After arriving at North Station, I headed to Green Line and to my hotel to pack for the day ahead.

It's really a great train and definitely worth me staying an extra night in Boston. I was out there two years ago and really regretted not taking it then. I'm glad I had a chance to do it this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back