The First Fully Rebuilt Superliner I Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
NARP's website has just put up photos of a fully rebuilt Superliner I Sleeper.

Virtually everything on the car is new: flooring, curtains, wall coverings, bathrooms, shower, upholstery, heating/air conditioning, etc.
Click Here to see a description and photos of the car, #32016.

I think it looks outstanding, another great job from Beech Grove! :D B)

WOW, that car does look GREAT. Truely first class looking. I like the darker fabrics, it gives it more of a fancy look it seems. And the cool etched Amtrak logo on the shower door, very nice!! It looks like they took a good deal of time to get that car nicely done like that, maybe someday all the superliner Is will be nicely rebuilt like that. Probably not, but hey there is hope.

That is a great looking car! Will it be scheduled on any particular route? When will it enter revenue service? Looking forward to seeing her down here hopefully!

It's amazing what a little money and hard effort from AMTRAK employees (not contractors) can do to make a 25 year old car new again. Way to go BG. Hope to see the trend continue onto more Superliners and even Viewliners in the near future. Also, remember this is not one of the interior cover ups that was being applied to many cars under Warrington and Downs. This is a complete remanufacture and will probably double the cars expected life.

Great news! I hope there are more like it coming back into service in the near future. Now if only there weren't so many derailments overtime that keep the cars that need alot of "TLC" from getting their needed attention. Heck get enough cars back in service and you can have a consist or two to use in needed places!

I agree with Amfleet, I hope that this kind of attention will continue towards the Superliners. As for the Viewliners, I think that they definitely could use this kind of attention (the color scheme works alright for the most part, but the cars still have the good old pointless arrow present in the interior), since the ones that have been "refurbished" were little, if any help to these cars.

That is a great looking car! Will it be scheduled on any particular route? When will it enter revenue service? Looking forward to seeing her down here hopefully!
From what I've read, the car won't enter revenue service until #32001 is also completed, so the Sleepers are uniform in their interior. I don't think the route has been chosen yet, but it will probably be rotated between trains that use two sleepers in their consist.

Actually, while I was in South Station the other the day the Lake Shore Limited was pulling in almost 4 hours late and I got to walk the consist. From looking through the windows I could see that the cushions in the Deluxe rooms were replaced with the blue fabric. I'm not sure what you mean about the pointless arrow being visible in the Viewliner though?

Since the rebuild is so nice they probably have to put two together in a consist so passengers don't get upset. While passengers are paying the same price for a sleeper, but are recieving an unrefrubished Superliner I model while passengers in the other car are recieving a sleeper much more luxurious and are only paying the same price.

When the table, near the windows is pulled out in a Viewliner, it shows the pointless arrow logo, which is a minimal detail.

Really, blue fabric in a deluxe room? I'm interested in your opinion on that.

As for what you said about the Superliner I refurbs being together in a consist, thats exactly how the page I linked to describes it, so you're right on money in that case. The only flaw is that its very likely a passenger will get one that hasn't been refurbished traveling in one direction, so you can't really win in that respect until more of the sleepers are completed.

Well I don't really have an opinion on the blue fabric, except that it's been spotted in several cars this summer. I ran into a Horizon coach on the Hiawatha route and Sean had a Superliner sleeper and ran into a Superliner coach with the blue fabric. I think it's a good design as the dirt won't be as noticeable. IMHO, I never liked the light blues, pinks, dark greens, etc found in Superlienr II sleepers and Viewliners. Below is a photo of this new fabric.

jss_horizon_coach_54550_interior_seats.JPG

Amfleet said:
Well I don't really have an opinion on the blue fabric, except that it's been spotted in several cars this summer. I ran into a Horizon coach on the Hiawatha route and Sean had a Superliner sleeper and ran into a Superliner coach with the blue fabric. I think it's a good design as the dirt won't be as noticeable. IMHO, I never liked the light blues, pinks, dark greens, etc found in Superlienr II sleepers and Viewliners. Below is a photo of this new fabric.
jss_horizon_coach_54550_interior_seats.JPG
Check out the crappy legroom between those seats. That about sums up my opinion on Horizon's.

Also, its the same kind of seats with the useless armrests. I think Amtrak needs to investigate a new source for coach seating.

Wow, I just looked at the leg room, its like non existant!! When I last rode in a Horizon in 97, I remember it tight and uncomfortable, but it seemed like there was a little more leg room then that, but then again I was smaller back then.

Just think sometimes these high density cars sometimes show up on the Three Rivers, Cardinal, and Lake Shore Limited . . . . how would you like have seating like that for a 20 + hour journey?!

I had a coach like that on the lakeshore once. I don't know what it was doing on a long haul and why they were putting all the through passengers in it, but there were no legrests, not much legroom, every seat was filled, it was miserable. That run almost put me off of Amtrak, until I got to that Superliner in Chicago and my heart melted for them again.

Mostly it has to do with a shortage of Amfleet II coaches for eastern trains. The Horizon coaches are getting rebuitl, some with high density 74 seats (not 80) and others with low density 60 seats equipped for LDT use. Horizon food service cars are being rebuilt also; one version will be all dinette, while the other will be half dinette and half club (2-1 business class) seating.

Superliner looks good but there is no mention of any entertainment system (which never worked on any Viewliner I've been on anyway). Is there any video or audio available?

Video was never installed on the Superliners, and for the near future won't be. Amtrak is starting to phase out the video systems on the Viewliners due to poor reliability and high costs. Superliners do however have limited Audio available.

battalion51 said:
Amtrak is starting to phase out the video systems on the Viewliners due to poor reliability and high costs. Superliners do however have limited Audio available.
Actually according to Miami Joe, that's been put on hold. After removing the monitors from a couple of cars, they were then ordered to put them back.

As recently as June, I was in a Viewliner with working monitors and movies. :)

I think the current plan is stop repairing them and just wait for them to die. That's been the case with several cars, and I imagine it'll continue that way.

Well I suppose that things could have been changed since last month, after all this is Amtrak. However, here's Joe's comments from just last month.

Miami Joe said:
Sorry to here about the V/L video. The units are supposed to be working, and I've watched my share of movies at work!! :p
We check the videos during the PM's and there is a guy to fix it. It is a very delicate system that also suffers from alot of vandalism. I guess that the perps think they can use monitors in their cars! :angry:  We caught a guy from CSX stripping the monitors in the yard, a few years ago. :angry:

Miami Joe

This rebuild really shows the potential of the Superliners and Viewliners as a high-class platform. I think the glass shower door is an extremely nice touch. Personally, I'd love to see Amtrak get the funds to rebuild most of its fleet in this scheme. After riding in the Cascade Talgos with their etched glass doors, even the Superliner IIs seem a bit outdated. The fleet would look pretty nice with the false wood paneling and dark blue seats.

Regarding the Horizon coaches, on Friday I rode Milwaukee-Chicago-Detroit on 334/352. The legroom isn't all that bad, though I do hate when seats face each other, as you're sharing the same amount of legroom with another person, so you actually get less room on those facing seats.

It's no worse than corridor seating on Amfleet Is.

I haven't seen any Horizons with blue seats yet (well, there was one car in my Hiawatha consist with blue seats, but they were the old 1980s blue, red, and orange, not the new blue). Was that Horizon one refurbished at Beech Grove, or did they just stick new seat cuhsions on old seats? Based on the photo, it looks like it was the latter, as the car had brown seats and an orange carpet. The car in the photo also lacks electrical outlets, which also suggests that they just replaced the cushions.

I saw a couple of Horizon cars in the new paint scheme, which could also mean they received a new interior (but not necessarily). It's interesting comparing the different Horizon cars. For many of my trips in the Midwest, a Horizon car in Phase III paint meant that it had an old interior, with the old red seats (which, IIRC, is different from the blue/red/orange color scheme, but my memory may be failing me on this one). Cars in Phase IV meant that they had a new interior, with solid walls instead of carpeted walls, grey seats instead of brown seats, grey carpet instead of orange carpet, green seat cushions instead of red ones, and electrical outlets.

Then, I started seeing some Phase III Horizons where they replaced the red seat cushions with green ones (but everything else stayed the same). When I took a special Horizon car set representing the Coast Starlight in January, there were Phase III and Phase IV Horizons, but none of them had refurbished interiors (such as including electrical outlets).

I know David Gunn wants the trains to have a consistent exterior color scheme, but as a passenger I'd rather they have consistent interior features.

Sorry for the long, somewhat off-topic rant. Hopefully when these cars get rebuilt in the same program that produced the beautiful Superliner sleeper, we'll get a consistent interior with features that work.

The legroom isn't all that bad, though I do hate when seats face each other, as you're sharing the same amount of legroom with another person, so you actually get less room on those facing seats.
It's no worse than corridor seating on Amfleet Is.
True, the legroom is not any different from a 74 seat Amfleet I coach. However, the armrests seem way to low to be comfortable.

Was that Horizon one refurbished at Beech Grove, or did they just stick new seat cuhsions on old seats? Based on the photo, it looks like it was the latter, as the car had brown seats and an orange carpet.
It was the latter.

I know David Gunn wants the trains to have a consistent exterior color scheme, but as a passenger I'd rather they have consistent interior features.
I think he strives for both consistent interior color schemes and features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back