The Golden Age of Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think "Golden Age" in regards to Amtrak is relative, ;) and there are areas of Amtrak that could stand improvement (a lot in some cases) I would say, based on everything I've heard and read about Amtrak in its early days, they are doing better than they did in the beginning and getting better. My own Amtrak experience really only covers the last nine years, but in that time, I see areas that have improved vastly.

I would say, based on everything I've heard and read about Amtrak in its early days, they are doing better than they did in the beginning and getting better.
I agree. The best is yet to come. Amtrak hasn't reached its peek yet.

It hasn't reached it's peak, either.

It's a good time to be a rail fan, routes are expanding, getting faster and new equipment is on the way. The Amtrak of 10 years from now will be significantly better than the Amtrak of today.

Even though we are Nostalgic about the Heritage Cars, the Domes, Diners and Lounges and First Class Service, Most of Todays Amtrak travelers never rode the Rainbow Trains, experienced the Steam Heated Cars or the lack of AC on a Hot, Humid Summer Day! As the Song says: "..these are the Good "Ole Days!.." and the Best is yet to come! ;)

Not to mention pre Amtrak (and pre commuter agency) trains on the NEC specially in mid to late 60s. What a continuing unfolding of disaster to fiasco that used to be, even though some trains did have Parlor Cars and Metroliners were doing OK, though getting their speed reduced as time went on, and the infrastructure fell into greater and greater disrepair, while Penn Station was torn down.

I've heard stories from Charlie about what a mess MARC was when it started, with wooden cars and bare bulbs. Mind you, I'd have probably taken that train once for the experience, but that would have been about it.

I will say that while I know we've got new equipment and new routes on the way, it also seems likely that we're going to face (as the article noted) at least some reduction in convenience as time goes by, in no small part due to rising load factors...but also due to how bad things really are elsewhere in terms of change fees, non-upgradable fares, etc.

To me, the "golden days of amtrak" was that very brief period (less than a year?) back around 1979 or 1980 (not sure), that some have refered to previously as Amtrak's "camelot period"---when the first Superliner's started appearing, much of the heritage fleet was converted to headend power, and the diner's were still delivering full crew created menu's and service, and on brand new china. It lasted until several routes were eliminated, and dining service was cut to preplated meals and paper plates....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back