The more modern Amtrak Stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjibear

Conductor
We all get hung up on the old demolished NYP station and many of the classic looking station from the golden age of railroading. However, what about stations built when the railroads started to decline in the 50s- through the 70s. Where are these stations located and are they being preserved or in jeopardy of being demolished? One I can think of is Charlotte NC which was built in the 1960s which is slated to be replaced. While I like the old grand stations, the newer modern stations have a certain functionality and modernism which, in my opinion, is also worthy of preservation. This is true for buildings too,

Arguably, one of the most prominent of these 1970's "new" stations about to be replaced (ironically, by one of the stations IT replaced) would be Minneapolis-St. Paul Midway Station (MSP). It is an "AmShack" in the grandest of scales, even though it never reached the traffic levels even it was designed to accommodate. I believe that "Track 2" hardly, if ever, actually gets used and the island platform looks rather lonely today.

Granted, I'm not about to complain about the return to St. Paul Union Station! Its just, MSP is still a station much more serviceable than about half of what Amtrak has on the National Scale of things. It will be an interesting bet to place on just how long the station "head house" remains after passengers become a distant memory inside its 1970's time capsule.

We all get hung up on the old demolished NYP station and many of the classic looking station from the golden age of railroading. However, what about stations built when the railroads started to decline in the 50s- through the 70s. Where are these stations located and are they being preserved or in jeopardy of being demolished? One I can think of is Charlotte NC which was built in the 1960s which is slated to be replaced. While I like the old grand stations, the newer modern stations have a certain functionality and modernism which, in my opinion, is also worthy of preservation. This is true for buildings too,
The only modern station of any distinction I can think of is Savannah, Georgia. It's actually pretty nice (I'm not a fan of most modern architecture), but, boy is it in an out-of-the way location (a half hour $30 taxi ride to the airport/rental car, a shorter $30 taxi ride downtown.)

The Jacksonville, Florida station is a step above an Amshack.

A bit older (1950) is the Toldeo Ohio station, which could be nice if they fixed up the area around the station and ran some more trains there.

I'm no Fan of "Modern" Stations either, especially Cookie Cutter Amshacks! The Developing Trend seems to be Moving in the Direction of Moving out of Amshacks into either Rehabbed Older Stations or Newly Built Intermodel Stations such as St. Louis, Ft. Worth, Martinez etc. Bloomington-Normal would be another Good Example! Things are Looking up Stationwise! :) Now all we need to do is get Cities that have Shelter Type Stations , for Example Taylor ( Old MP Station/Now the UP District Hdqs is beside the Picnic Table and Shed Roof " AmStation") and San Marcos in Texas, to either Build New Stations or Pay to Renovate Existing Older Stations! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hope that at least one example of '1970's Amtrak Station' survives..... be it Richmond Staples Mill or Jacksonville Clifford Lane or Buffalo Depew etc......

Here in the northwest, we have recently-built stations that have architecture designed to look historic, like Olympia-Lacey:

940914_10200355262979031_1485947800_n.jpg

And we have unabashedly-modern stations, like Everett:

281875_3969070780040_408596636_n.jpg

PVD is a "new" station. The current station was built in 1986. The old station - from 1898, another Union Station, is now home to a few restaurants. It is a few blocks away.

Some of the early 1950s stations have some quality to them, and (for example) Elyria, OH is actually trying to move back into its 1950s station. I'd say New Orleans in 1954 is one of the last of the worthwhile 1950s stations. Some of the Southern Railway stations of the late 1950s-1970s are better than the average because Southern was not actively trying to kill ridership, and may be worth preserving, but most of the stations of the period really aren't.

As for the Amtrak stations of the 1970s... well... they're not functional, and they aren't decorative, but for preservationists who care about such things, Midway in Minneapolis will be preserved for now, and I think that's quite sufficient. It is an appropriate building to put on the National Historic Register as an example of an Amshack. Most of the other Amshacks were in the right *locations* for train stations and therefore must be destroyed in order to build a useful train station.

The late 1950s through early 1970s stations are mostly junk. Shacks. Particularly in NY Central territory, where they were aggressively trying to destroy ridership. Like the many tin-roofed uninsulated industrial buildings of the 19th century -- mostly long-demolished -- most of these stations are quite worthy of being demolished, and were worthy of being demolished when they were built. Not everything should be preserved.

I have a bias towards preserving solidly built buildings with ornamental detail rather than buildings with structural defects and no love put into them. If you're going to preserve buildings from the 50s, I say preserve the ones which had some care and interest put into them -- and in the late 50s and 60s that mostly means the drive-in movie theaters, the drive-in restaurants, the airports, not the railroad stations.

Starting in the 1980s there are a lot of new train stations built by various municipalities in a wide variety of different styles, and *these* have value. They were built as gateways to the city, as items of civic pride, in an era where people were thinking positively about the return of rail -- and I do hope that we preserve many of those 1980s and 1990s stations when the time comes, because they have both functionality and decoration.

Trivia question to which I do not know the answer. What is the first train station building built by a municipality or municipal agency (as opposed to by Amtrak) for the benefit of Amtrak train service? It's a common thing now -- but when and where did it start?

Arguably, one of the most prominent of these 1970's "new" stations about to be replaced (ironically, by one of the stations IT replaced) would be Minneapolis-St. Paul Midway Station (MSP). It is an "AmShack" in the grandest of scales, even though it never reached the traffic levels even it was designed to accommodate. I believe that "Track 2" hardly, if ever, actually gets used and the island platform looks rather lonely today.

Granted, I'm not about to complain about the return to St. Paul Union Station! Its just, MSP is still a station much more serviceable than about half of what Amtrak has on the National Scale of things. It will be an interesting bet to place on just how long the station "head house" remains after passengers become a distant memory inside its 1970's time capsule.
I have never been to MSP but from seeing pictures on trainweb and such, I think the Miami station is very similar. It opened in 1977 and is a stub-end facility vice a run-through facility. It has three tracks and two island platforms but I have never seen a revenue train use track three.

I have never been to MSP but from seeing pictures on trainweb and such, I think the Miami station is very similar. It opened in 1977 and is a stub-end facility vice a run-through facility. It has three tracks and two island platforms but I have never seen a revenue train use track three.
Indeed, a little research has revealed that only two "300A" stations were built: MSP and MIA! So, these two stations are identical in every way when originally built.

Looking online, it would seem as if the following applied to "AmShacks" of the 1970's:

• 300A: 300+ passengers at peak times. Two stories, full-service with a "red cap" first-class lounge and commissary for train provisions. Examples built are Minneapolis-St. Paul and Miami.
  • 150B: 150-300 passengers at peak times. Single story, full-service but no lounge or commissary. An example would be Rochester, NY or the old Albany, NY.
  • 50C: 50-150 passengers at peak times. Ticket agent and baggage service. An example would be Buffalo-Depew, NY.
  • 25D: 25-50 passengers at peak times. No ticket agent. No baggage service. Only a waiting room. Example would be the AmShack (unused) at Salt Lake City, UT.

Blackwolf's Source.

What a great read that I had never noticed before on the history of AmStations. Makes me realize I need to get to the current Miami Station before they close that station. I've extensively covered Saint Paul's Midway Station. The history of Meriden, CT station that I recently visited perhaps fits this bill since it is one of the only train stations actually built under the jurisdiction of the PennCentral railroad in 1970 financed by the city of Meriden when its rerouting of State Street destroyed the previous Meriden Station.

Does Miami also have an upper level seating lounge like St. Paul?

Many stations in the south were built after 1950... in addition to the ones already named: Birmingham - L&N (almost all of which is now gone), Birmingham - Southern (now gone), Mobile (now gone), Raleigh, Greensboro (still exists but no longer used by Amtrak), Charleston, Yemassee, Petersburg/Ettrick, Quantico, and several in Florida.

Post-Amtrak stations not already mentioned are Florence, Durham, Kannapolis, Cary, Columbia, Newport News, ...

Blackwolf's Source.

What a great read that I had never noticed before on the history of AmStations. Makes me realize I need to get to the current Miami Station before they close that station. I've extensively covered Saint Paul's Midway Station. The history of Meriden, CT station that I recently visited perhaps fits this bill since it is one of the only train stations actually built under the jurisdiction of the PennCentral railroad in 1970 financed by the city of Meriden when its rerouting of State Street destroyed the previous Meriden Station.

Does Miami also have an upper level seating lounge like St. Paul?
Miami does indeed have an upper level however, it is always roped off. I don't know if there is a sitting area up there but there are offices directly above the ticket windows. My first trip from the Miami station was in 1990 with my dad and my last was in September and in all that time I can't remember the general public ever being allowed upstairs. Of course I was 5 in 1990 so my memory may not be reliable that far back.

As an architect I have seen a few post-Amtrak stations featured in the architectural media over the decades, including Solana Beach, CA (by prominent San Diego architect Rob Quigley), which takes some design cues from Quonset huts; Providence RI by SOM (one of the largest architectural firms on the world) which incorporates a shallow dome, a clock tower and a marble exterior-pretty radical ideas at the time it was designed in the late 70's; Battle Creek MI which uses a lot of internally lighted glass brick columns, and the St. Louis Gateway Transportation Center, a bit more recent.

The Bay Area also three newish major stations - Oakland/Jack London Square, Emeryville and Martinez.

Here are some pics of Battle Creek Station:

300px-Battle_creek_amtrak_station.jpg

(After a bit of reserach it looks like this station has been updated from when this picture was taken.)

and Solana Beach:

300px-SOL_Amtrak_Station.jpg

new orleans union pasenger was buit tin 1954
And it's not a bad station. It's not exactly an architectural gem, but it does emanate a certain uplifting 1950s era grandeur. It's also exteremely functional. No long labyrinth-like walks or commercial spaces drowning out the core function, which for a station should always be passengers.

Many stations in the south were built after 1950... in addition to the ones already named: Birmingham - L&N (almost all of which is now gone), Birmingham - Southern (now gone), Mobile (now gone), Raleigh, Greensboro (still exists but no longer used by Amtrak), Charleston, Yemassee, Petersburg/Ettrick, Quantico, and several in Florida.

Post-Amtrak stations not already mentioned are Florence, Durham, Kannapolis, Cary, Columbia, Newport News, ...
Greensboro, NC, reopened for Amtrak in October, 2005. See http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/57293-the-23-grandest-amtrak-stations-in-america/

jb

The only modern station of any distinction I can think of is Savannah, Georgia. It's actually pretty nice (I'm not a fan of most modern architecture), but, boy is it in an out-of-the way location (a half hour $30 taxi ride to the airport/rental car, a shorter $30 taxi ride downtown.)

A bit older (1950) is the Toldeo Ohio station, which could be nice if they fixed up the area around the station and ran some more trains there.
I agree that TOL (1950) is one of these. The lower level (track level), which was originally for baggage services, was remodeled into a beautfiul art-deco waiting area. The original waiting area on the second floor is no longer in rail service use. What they need to do is demolish most of the old unused crumbling platforms and stairwells to spruce up the area. Fortunately, the "powers-that-be" had the foresight to remodel, and not demolish the station itself.

amtk-TUT-wr-mlb.jpg

amtk-TUT-pl-mla.jpg

amtk-TUT-wb-mld.jpg

Seems to me - there's the 50's stations - like Charleston, say - built by the railroads cutting back on passenger service. (and I won't miss the old Charleston station when the new one comes on line)

There's the 70's + Amshacks (and "super Amshacks" like MSP ) and whatever Rochester is like now.

There's old classic stations like Whitefish, that survive and get remodeled from time to time.

There are some "super-classic" stations like SPUD that the locals spend big money on, sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

There's stations that work and are ugly and annoying (like NYP) or that work and are beautiful like GCT.

There's lots of old grubby stations (in my neigborhood LSE and Fargo) including more recent ones like the current Newport News.

<edit> -- and the new ones like Everett and such. And the oldies like Flagstaff, that "just work"

Good open-ended topic.

And then there are brand spanking new functional airport stations ... BWI and EWR.

NEC also has one other restored original ... Newark Penn Station, which has been restored with care.

There are four substantially replaced in place stations on the NEC in NJ used by Amtrak ... Metropark, New Brunswick, Princeton Junction and Trenton. All in excellent condition at present, all now with high level platforms. Similarly there are New Rochelle, Stamford and Bridgeport in CT.

Seems to me - there's the 50's stations - like Charleston, say - built by the railroads cutting back on passenger service. (and I won't miss the old Charleston station when the new one comes on line)
Surprise! The plan of building a new intermodal transportation center fell apart. The plan is now to enhance the existing station to become an intermodal center.

jb

Regarding Greensboro, NC -

The Amshack style station no longer used by Amtrak was actually erected by the Southern Railway about the time trains 5 & 6 were discontinued leaving the nocturnal Southern Crescent as the only passenger train still serving Greensboro in the late 1970's. Essentially it was a ticket counter and tiny waiting room in one end of a longer new building which also housed Southern Railway freight offices and a tower for the adjacent Pomona freight yard.

Once the Carolinian returned to stay in the 1990's (after a brief experimental operation of about a year in the mid-80's) and the first NCDOT Piedmont began operating, ridership growth in Greensboro made the tiny waiting room obsolete rather quickly. I think the NCDOT Rail Division's crowning accomplishment (so far) was restoring the traditional Southern Railway passenger station downtown and moving Amtrak there in 2005.

Of course the NCDOT has done a phenomenal job in the past 10-12 years with passenger stations. Old stations have been remarkably restored in Greensboro, Rocky Mount, Wilson, Selma, Fayetteville, Southern Pines, Hamlet, and High Point..... the last two (Hamlet and High Point) are particularly spectacular. New stations have been erected in Cary and Kannapolis. More impressively, historic trackside buildings have been repurposed as train stations in Burlington where a building originally part of the North Carolina Railroad's Civil War era shops was used and in Durham where an old tobacco warehouse has been converted.

The outliers here are Gastonia where nothing beyond a brick waiting area made neccessary by a track relocation project has received little attention, Charlotte where the 1960's Southern Depot soldiers on while plans for a remarkable new multimodal center remain on hold, and Salisbury where a nice Amtrak waiting area has been assembled under part of the trainshed of the original Salisbury depot which was otherwise restored by local interests before the NCDOT got serious about creating new train stations.

Looking forward to Raleigh now where plans have been made and funding secured for converting a trackside warehouse into a spectacular new Union Station there. Can't wait to see the end result.

That's a bit unfair, I think. ACL's station in Charleston burned in 1947. The new station was a replacement. It was sized for the number of passenger trains of the day, as any railroad naturally would. Of course, in the mid-50s passenger service was quite strong on the ACL.

The new station in Savannah was forced onto ACL and its tenant SAL by Georgia DOT, which coveted the land underneath the old station for Interstate 16. Again, this was a reactive move by the ACL.

But the other stations built by the ACL were proactive... a rather courageous undertaking, given the collapse of passenger counts on other railroads at the time.

The Savannah station is well maintained for its purpose. I think even one of the two wooden phone booths still has a working phone. Along with what NW Cannonball said, Railroads were in decline in the 60s and 70s and 80s and onward. New stations were built to serve very specific purposes and I don't think that it was until just the last decade that there has been an appreciable rennaissance in maintaining or reverting to "classic" railroad architecture.

Back to Savannah - they do have a city bus that comes through three times a day...on a schedule...regardless of the status of the train... Like 9 AM, 6:30 PM and 9:30 PM... I've made mention of this before: Brunswick Golden Isles Airport has approximately the same passenger count as the Savannah Amtrak station. However, they boast two onsite car rentals and a cafe in a luxurious ultra modern terminal, complete with, iirc, a full scale baggage claim conveyor. Yet, in the last few months, Savannah completely renovated the Greyhound station to create an intermodal terminal. I think intermodal is a misnomer - it's all one mode: bus. Anyway, during this great renovation, Amtrak was totally ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back