The Polar Vortex

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I quit watching the Weather Channel when NBC took over. They ruined a good thing, as usual. Now, it is mostly reality series.

My all-time favorite weather program was called "AM Weather", which aired on some PBS stations back in the seventies or eighties....

It was a 15 or 30 minute program that aired at around 0600, and was targeted towards pilots, with mostly aviation oriented weather information....such things as winds aloft, known icing, etc.

It was presented by two or three professional meteorologists, in a strait forward, no-nonsense format. Very interesting.

It was fully funded by several aviation organizations. Probably more funding than required. Wonder if PBS took some of that excess to 'cross-fund' other programs underfunded...?

Anyway, it quietly disappeared from the schedule, perhaps due to low audiences, but I'm sure not from lack of funding....

Something called Weather Nation recently showed up on DirecTV. I've only watched a few minutes of it but they remind me of the early days of Weather Channel when it was hard weather and little else.

It was 42 degrees in Lake Wales this morning. I didn't hear about the 29 degrees in Orlando.

Penny can keep her 29 and I'm OK with 42. I still take Archie to the dog park each day.

It was 42 degrees in Lake Wales this morning. I didn't hear about the 29 degrees in Orlando.

Penny can keep her 29 and I'm OK with 42. I still take Archie to the dog park each day.
That's still Cold for Florida Dick, but I bet you didnt Dress Up like an Eskimo when you took Archie to the Dogie Park! ^_^

"They" are now saying that Tuesday morning, our low will be 32 not 29. That is still pretty darn cold. However, Sunday "they" are saying our high will be 79, which is above normal. Boots in the morning and flipflops in the afternoon. :lol:

What is a dog park? It sounds like a place where you park your dog.

:help: :giggle: :p
It's a park designed for people to come with their dogs and let them off-leash so they can interact and play with other dogs. (The park is always fenced.) They provide bags and such for waste, and there are usually lots of open, grassy areas, trees, sand pits, and things dogs can play with/on/around.

There's one in Chicago named "Wiggly Field", and I saw one in the DFW area named "Fort Woof". :)

It's also a great way to meet your neighbors and their dogs.

Hmm..it was 80 here in the So Cal (near) desert a few days ago.
So true Dan, but the forecast is for a bone-chilling, below average temp. of 68° by the end of next week!
In 1990 we actually had snow on the ground here. Maybe 2-3 inches, enough for a small snowman. Maybe 4-5 years ago the low was 19 or so and my kids "ice skated" on our patio. They ran some water, let it freeze (almost immediately) and then went out and skated around in their shoes. Then again, about 8-9 years ago it was over 90 here in January and we were having water gun/hose fights and the kids were in the play pool while the east coast was in single digits. 68 is pretty normal for winter here.

I cannot begin to tell you how excited this map makes me.

010414snow.png

attachicon.gif
010414snow.png
?? Inches of what? I do not comprehend. :lol:

Ryan, I just got a freezing rain warning for tomorrow morning. Are you going to get it also?

Between the snow forecast and the windchill prediction, I really hope our office is closed on Monday. /crosses fingers

Although, they can't forecast Kalamazoo properly because of the valley we're in, so we usually get half of what they predict. Still, that's about 7-8". :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The weather forecast for Tuesday morning in Orlando is 29.
I thought Amtrak would swap out Viewliners with the Silvers, to send them down to FL to thaw out.

Without that option now, how to they thaw them out?

Since this thread has turned into the weather forecast :lol: I can say the Pacific Ocean is my friend. :) Even though I live 300 miles from the ocean, we are getting the effects of our weather off the ocean instead of out of the north. We've had temps in the 40's and even into the 50's this week. No snow now or really all winter. It is supposed to cool way down tomorrow, though. :( All the way to below freezing for a high! :eek: But later in the week it's supposed to be near 40 again, right where it's supposed to be as far as I'm concerned. Right now it has been so dry this winter that already the gloom-and-doomers are predicting the entire state of Washington will be reduced to one giant cinder this summer due to extreme fire danger. But then, they do that when we have a much more typical wet winter and spring. The one time we had any snow to speak of, all the local (Spokane) TV stations of course had to way overblow it. Where I live, 60 miles south of Spokane, we were predicted to have up to 10 inches of white garbage. :p We had maybe 3 inches, if that, and at that they were more accurate than usual. Such as the time last year we were supposed to get 16 inches of snow and we missed that by about 15 1/2 inches. :rolleyes: And with this "big" snow we had a couple of weeks ago, all the stations interrupted regular programming for a flake-by-flake description of the snowfall, and hyping it to a fare-thee-well. :rolleyes: They even had the audacity to interrupt Judge Judy! :angry2: :angry2: How dare they!!! :angry2: :angry2: .

I loooove snow....so long as it falls someplace else. :lol: Seriously, those affected by the snow and cold, stay safe!!

Last edited by a moderator:

attachicon.gif
010414snow.png
I was not happy with that picture when I saw it this morning. I had to make a special trip to the store to make sure I had supplies to last until Tuesday.
Brent decided to go shopping as usual today. I told him to stay home since we have enough food and such to last the whopping 48 hours it'll take to clear the roads. He ignored me and then texted me a few hours later to say he was stuck at Meijer with a ton of people. They had every checkout lane open, and they were still 5-6 people deep in every line. Haha. ;)

I have a bottle of wine leftover from NYE and a bunch of new books to read, so bring it, snow.

attachicon.gif
010414snow.png
I was not happy with that picture when I saw it this morning. I had to make a special trip to the store to make sure I had supplies to last until Tuesday.
Brent decided to go shopping as usual today. I told him to stay home since we have enough food and such to last the whopping 48 hours it'll take to clear the roads. He ignored me and then texted me a few hours later to say he was stuck at Meijer with a ton of people. They had every checkout lane open, and they were still 5-6 people deep in every line. Haha. ;)

I have a bottle of wine leftover from NYE and a bunch of new books to read, so bring it, snow.
When all Meijer lanes are clogged, you know everyone is panicking. You folks may get more snow than me, so you might lay in some extra supplies. Kzoo looks to be in the sweet zone for snowfall. I'm headed for cold - much colder than the -13 I recorded last week.

The weather forecast for Tuesday morning in Orlando is 29.
I thought Amtrak would swap out Viewliners with the Silvers, to send them down to FL to thaw out.

Without that option now, how to they thaw them out?
Well it is warmer in Miami where the Silver trains end, so they'll still thaw out down there even if it doesn't start in Orlando or Jacksonville.

On Tuesday they're expecting a high of 67.

Hmm..it was 80 here in the So Cal (near) desert a few days ago.
So true Dan, but the forecast is for a bone-chilling, below average temp. of 68° by the end of next week!
In 1990 we actually had snow on the ground here. Maybe 2-3 inches, enough for a small snowman. Maybe 4-5 years ago the low was 19 or so and my kids "ice skated" on our patio. They ran some water, let it freeze (almost immediately) and then went out and skated around in their shoes. Then again, about 8-9 years ago it was over 90 here in January and we were having water gun/hose fights and the kids were in the play pool while the east coast was in single digits. 68 is pretty normal for winter here.
In 1949 we a real snow storm. It started snowing about 10 PM and by 6 AM there was 12-14 inches on the ground in the San Fernando Valley. The cold weather (teens and twenties) hung around for three days before the snow began to melt. First and only "snow days" I ever had --- school or work (military service does not count, they don't have snow days --- ever).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back