The Rise and Fall of Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through Penn station twice. Once in 1959 and again courtesy of 'Uncle Sam' in January 1964. At the time I had no idea the building was to be torn down. Here in Houston the SP's 'Grand Central Station' was torn down in early 1960 and replaced with the downtown post office, a truly ugly building. Union Station was turned into a ball park. Now we have a little one room station that serves the Sunset Ltd. Pitiful.

Thanks for posting...the trailer whetted my appetite for the whole program..... :)

Brought back memories of taking Grandpa to the station to board streamliners to Florida....of steam rising thru the gap between the platform and the stainless steel cars....of GG1's headlite snapping to bright, and bell blonging as the train glided on out.....of walking over those circular glass blocks in the concourse floors....

Last edited by a moderator:
Jis,

I read on another thread that you had worked for Novell. I held Novell stock for a while (Schmidt was CEO) at the time.

About ten-twelve years ago, I met an interesting software guy on the Zephyr. He was coming back from a conference/trade show in San Fransisco. He grew up in New Jersey (Asbury Park area) and knew Springsteen. He and a few friends developed some software which helped in logging on. His small company was acquired by Sun Microsystems. He was made a VP at Sun.

He was raving about a company which just presented to Sun...Advanced Micro Devices. He was really impressed with what he had seen. When I got home, I bought Sun. I did not buy AMD...which tripled in a short time. What a mistake!!

I believe you're from NJ and just wondering if you may know this fellow. His passion is racing his Porche. When we reached Chicago, he took the LSL back to Connecticut where he then lived.

I left Novell way before Schmidt went there. It's been almost 20 years since I thankfully left Novell. It is downright the weirdest company that I have ever worked for. And no, the gentleman you mention does not ring a bell.

Sun of course ignored AMD since they were irrationally wedded to SPARC. By that time Sun was actually a relatively indifferently managed company, with a business plan which IMHO even they did not understand, let alone anyone else. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back