The turnaround: what's happening behind the scenes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethe7

Train Attendant
There are various threads open where we touched upon this in bits and pieces, so I thought I'd ask outright if somebody can tell the group what's involved with an average turnaround of a set. Everything from dining cars, sleepers, and restrooms to supplies, fuel, and coaches.

What is taking place behind the scenes that I'm sure I'd appreciate more if I knew what it was? When do the preparations begin? How early do the crew arrive? How many hundreds of employees are involved to prep just one train so that the guests are comfortable, safe, and enjoying themselves?

It's amazing to me when I cruise how quickly the ship is turned around for the next voyage considering there are thousands of passengers, luggage, and supplies that have to be unloaded/loaded. I can only imagine something similar on Amtrak, but with even less time in some cases, albeit fewer guests.

The aim for trains coming up from the South into NYC arriving 10 - ish, the plan was to have it ready for a returning South departure by 3:15. Going by that example, it seems a good five hours is the minimum that a long distance train can be properly serviced.

As far as short distance Corridor runs, I have personally observed a Keystone bound for NY Penn, be reversed and head back out, returning to Philadelphia and Harrisburg, a couple of hours later. I have also seen the former Metroliner Service arrive in Washington DC back in 1988, in a stub ended platform. A separate AEM7 locomotive coupled onto the rear and detached the train from the front engine, and that became the Northbound train returning to NYC, after the seats were turned around.

So the cars need to be turned around as well? Does a local cleaning crew come aboard? Or do the departing or arriving crew take care of that?

In the case of some trains like the Keystones, the trains do not have to be reversed since 1/2 of the seats face one direction and 1/2 face the other direction. In the case of other trains, the seats may be turned or in many terminus cities, the entire train in run around a "loop track" to reverse direction of the entire consist.

During the layover period, the train is cleaned (by Amtrak employees), food (in the Dining Car and/or café) is restocked, locomotives are refueled, if necessary quick maintenance is done, etc...

Long haul trains have all stock from the cafe and diner removed and replaced. Sleepers get restocked with linens and miscellaneous service items (depending on which train), and get vacuumed and have the windows cleaned inside (generally, trains will have been brought through the wash before arriving in the yard prep area). Coaches and sleepers both get their restrooms thoroughly cleaned (as much as is physically possible), new pillowcases in coach (though they get re-sacked by the TAs), and new headrest covers in both sleeper and coach. Also, the Mechanical Dept. is SUPPOSED to address all issues that the TAs and SAs have written up in the mechanical defect books, though at Chicago that department is NOTORIOUS for not doing so, going as far as ripping the pages out of the book on which defects have been noted (smart TAs and SAs have learned to remove one page, so they will have evidence of what the Mechanical Department has done, although punitive action is NEVER taken against the offenders).

Also, the Mechanical Dept. is SUPPOSED to address all issues that the TAs and SAs have written up in the mechanical defect books, though at Chicago that department is NOTORIOUS for not doing so, going as far as ripping the pages out of the book on which defects have been noted (smart TAs and SAs have learned to remove one page, so they will have evidence of what the Mechanical Department has done, although punitive action is NEVER taken against the offenders).
Can anyone else verify this sort of behavior? Not to doubt the OP, but some documented confimation might be useful in restructuing some of the management practices.

Also, the Mechanical Dept. is SUPPOSED to address all issues that the TAs and SAs have written up in the mechanical defect books, though at Chicago that department is NOTORIOUS for not doing so, going as far as ripping the pages out of the book on which defects have been noted (smart TAs and SAs have learned to remove one page, so they will have evidence of what the Mechanical Department has done, although punitive action is NEVER taken against the offenders).
Can anyone else verify this sort of behavior? Not to doubt the OP, but some documented confimation might be useful in restructuing some of the management practices.
This practice has gone on as long as I have been employed...25+ years. Approximately 15 years ago, they started numbering the pages so it was easier to observe when pages had been removed from mechanical book (map 21). But it still occurs, with certain mechanical facilities worse than others.

For the members of this forum who work for Amtrak, has the situation in Chicago gotten any better regarding locomotive and car maintenance? Also, the new product line managers Amtrak has recently brought on board, will this be one of their primary focuses? As I have said before, for us passengers and individuals who support and defend Amtrak, having to hear and put up with this type behavior is maddening. The individuals who do this stuff are probably making good money, have good benefits, and a lot of job security. Imagine how much better a company Amtrak would be, if this stuff did not occur.

A problem in many industries, the mechanics at my company never want to fix anything and are in one heck of a bad mood when they are forced to; their mood improves on days they get to spend much of their time BS'ing but it really makes it tuff for the machinists like me that are assigned to operations.

Indeed it's not just an Amtrak issue, Mrs SP&S dispatches for a private company that will remain nameless (I ain't that dumb). Between lazy mechanics and corporate pushing them to do things cheaply, it's a wonder than anything gets done.

For the members of this forum who work for Amtrak, has the situation in Chicago gotten any better regarding locomotive and car maintenance? Also, the new product line managers Amtrak has recently brought on board, will this be one of their primary focuses? As I have said before, for us passengers and individuals who support and defend Amtrak, having to hear and put up with this type behavior is maddening. The individuals who do this stuff are probably making good money, have good benefits, and a lot of job security. Imagine how much better a company Amtrak would be, if this stuff did not occur.
I will allow others to answer. I haven't dealt with Chi in a few years.

Chi Mech has not changed that much in Seattle we get cars that where written up here but we did not have the parts on hand to fix it and CHI did and sent the train out just to get it back the next week with the problem not fixed. If there is not much wrong with the EB we can get the train turned in 3-4 hours.

This is Based on Personal Knowledge gained from Riding the Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans Many, Many (300+???) Times and OBS telling me of their Frustration with the Mechanics and Yard Crews in Chicago! Whether the Train Sets were Run through or Different Sets, a Few Years ago these Trains were Notorious for Dirty, Unserviced Cars and the Diners were Shorted on Food Items Most Trips! They also received Old, Ratty Equipment, Especially the Sleeping Cars! Many times the Roomettes and Bathrooms were Filthy when I Boarded in CHI!!! :angry:

Things Have Improved in the past couple of Years, the Cars are Cleaner, the Equipment is in Better Shape, even Rehabbed Sleepers, Coaches and Sightseer Lounges have starting showing up on these Routes!The Diners (CCC) seem to be Stocked with Everything they are Supposed to Have and the Crews Overall seem Happier! (They Live Aboard the Train for 4 Days @ a Time!)

Also, the Metro Lounge Staff in Union Station have had Re-training and Re-Motivation(some were Even Re-assigned including OBS! :eek: ) and Seem to be doing Lots Better! The Gate Dragons still need to be Motivated! Hopefully the New Management that is going into CHI and on the LD Desk will Concentrate Equally on Even More Improvement in Equipment, Mechanical and Customer Service on All LD Routes, CHI in Particular since so Many LD Trains Operate To/From there!!

Sunnyside has a Similar Poor Reputation but i'll let our NY/NJ Members Speak to that!!

Last edited by a moderator:
On the CNO, the chicken bones are swept from the coach cars and the lounge lizards are given a bath :eek: Of course some time is spent looking for the open can of Puss and Boots catfood hidden on the train...............

Does the crew have their own galley? And if so, what types of meals are they served?

Whatever it is I hope it's something good; happy employees are productive employees.

Does the crew have their own galley? And if so, what types of meals are they served?

Whatever it is I hope it's something good; happy employees are productive employees.
Lots of Crews do bring their own Food Aboard, usually @ the Start of the Trip and during Layovers they Stock Up for the Return to their Home Base! In the Case of the Texas Eagle (any many others also) the Crew orders Bar-B-Q from a Joint by the Train Station and it is Delivered to Trainside during the Station Stop! Ive also seen Pizza, KFC, Subway etc. etc. Delivered to the Train!

When the Food Service Crews Over-Nighted in Austin(they Now go to SAS for the Turn) I saw Crew Members bring Food and Supplies Aboard from Whole Foods, HEB (Largest Grocery Chain in Texas) etc. As much as I Ride the Eagle, sometimes they would even Share it with me! :)

The Chef will also "Custom" Cook Food brought Aboard by the Crews! Imagine riding LD Trains 180+ Times a Year and Eating from the same Menu, Good as it May be and Priced Right (Free), Day after Day after Day for Years!!! :eek:

On my recent southbound Adirondack Trip sitting finishing US customs formalities in Rouses Point about ten minutes before scheduled departure as CBP was finishing up I saw one of our conductors re-board the train ear buds in ears, music on, a bag of take out food on his arm. He clearly enjoyed an hour break buying lunch in Rouses Point as the rest of us passengers had to sit on the train waiting for everyone to finish their customs interviews (I was sitting in the very front of the train right by the door opened for CBP to board) and I was one of the first interviewed. If only I could have gotten off the train after the interviews and buy lunch myself (does that cafe car sell out quickly on the southbound trip!).

So to summarize, it sounds to me like the following occurs:

-the entire train is cleaned (vacuumed?)

-the consist is reversed for the return trip

-sleepers are stocked with clean linen, headrest covers

-coach seats given new headrest covers

-restrooms cleaned and sanitized

-dining/cafe cars are restocked

-all trash removed from trains

-engines refueled

-necessary repairs are made

-staffing/crew change

-some type of safety check is performed

Status
Not open for further replies.