The Upper berth in a Superliner Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have only traveled by myself in a roomette, could some of you give me an idea what the top bunk is like on a Superliner roomette?

Is it really comfortable for sleeping? Is it difficult to get into and out of, if you have mobility problems?

I'm hoping to get my husband to join me on my next trip on the Southwest Chief, so I could use some advice. Thanks so much.

Kelley

I traveled from LVW to CHI on the Texas Eagle in a roomette last October. It's a little difficult getting into the upper bunk but I managed OK. I'm 73 but still fairly agile. My wife took the lower, as her knees wouldn't handle the climb. It's comfortable and long enough for me; I'm about 5'10". My only complaint is the tiny pillows.

My only complaint is the tiny pillows.
I usually pack a pillow as the last item before closing my luggage, and bring a second pillowcase. In the extra pillow case, you can combine the two pillows they give you to make one. When taken all together, it is usually plenty of fluff for a good night's sleep.

My wife and I travel in roomettes on all of our trips. I usually sleep in the top bunk and I am 6'6". Just barely fit length wise. As long as you are not claustrophobic, it is o.k. :) No window like in the Viewliners.

Good advice about the pillows as they are not very plump.

If you or husband have mobility problem it may be difficult to get up there, but otherwise my 58 yr old body still can make it :rolleyes:

I've spent a lot of nights in a roomette's upper berth - it's not easy to get in or out, but not extremely difficult. I'm 67, so I'm not as limber or flexible as I was in former years, but I can still make it without a lot of problems. I suppose that it would make a difference - depending on the extent of your mobility problems. As for comfort: I find the upper birth to be a little cramped, but I'm accustomed to a king-size bed. Again, your situation may be different. Despite the lack of room, I sleep very well up there! On the other hand, if I weren't so cheap, I'd buy two roomettes - one for each of us -- but I'd rather take two slightly uncomfortable trips than one where we could both sprawl!

My wife and I travel in roomettes on all of our trips. I usually sleep in the top bunk and I am 6'6". Just barely fit length wise. As long as you are not claustrophobic, it is o.k. :) No window like in the Viewliners.

If you or husband have mobility problem it may be difficult to get up there, but otherwise my 58 yr old body still can make it :rolleyes:
Wow now thats dedication I am just about 6 foot 2 and i feel like there is hardly enough space horizontally I'm pretty sure a roomette is exactly 6 feet 6 inches long :lol: which would make it a pretty air tight fit!

Sleeping in the top bunk in a superliner is certainly doable although I can't compare it to sleeping on the lower bunk because I've only ever slept up top.

Someone mentioned it was rather claustrophobic...is it really that tight?? Does it get hot and/or stuffy up there? Is there a reading light?

Thanks for the awesome advice you all have given so far!

No matter what, it's better than a night in coach! Admittedly I'd rather watch the stars out the window on a trip through the west, but there is a reading light and if anything the air circulation is better on top than below.

Someone mentioned it was rather claustrophobic...is it really that tight?? Does it get hot and/or stuffy up there? Is there a reading light?

Thanks for the awesome advice you all have given so far!
I wouldn't say you are totally cut off from things. Frankly when the beds are down in a roomette there isn't much room for anything. There is a pretty decent amount of room between the bed and the ceiling. There is a light for the person in the top bunk as well as a small faux leather pouch that you can place a few personal items, like a wallet, cell phone or glasses.

It's not too bad--not really claustrophobic or anything. The wife slept up there during our trip from MHL to CHI in May, and she didn't mind. She took my laptop and watched movies until she fell asleep. With no window up there, it's either sleep or read or watch DVDs.

Anyway, what I really came to tell y'all about was something that I saw back about 15-20 years ago. On a trip from MHL to CHI, my mom and I were in a roomette across from a guy who played either professional or semi-professional basketball (I've never been a fan, so I have no idea who he was.) Anyway, the guy must have been about 7 foot 5 or so, and he basically had to FOLD himself into the lower bunk--it looked very uncomfortable, though I'm sure that with height like that, you'd get used to sleeping in weird positions. Anyway, thought I'd share.

I have never considered myself claustrophobic, but I come close in the top bunk. The lack of headroom bothers me - you have to slide out rather than sit upright. On some trips the AC blows right on you and we've had to rig up a diverter. Upper on a viewliner is so much better, especially with the upper window. But, getting up and down isn't an issue for me although I'm still reasonably agile.

I had no such luck :blink: When I went to san fran on CZ I was not able to even get up there at all. I could not get my body to bend and fit without the fear of falling. So my ailing sister managed to get up there but was very uncomfortable. Someone posted me last spring that I should be able to fit and I believed it. My trip was almost ruined had it not been for a faulty airconditioner vent. I was moved to the transdorm where I was finally able to get some sleep. The attendent just let my sister stay in the warm room since it could not be sold plus like my sister she too was a cancer surviver and wanted her to be as comfortable as she could be. :blush: The whole trip was blessed by the train staff :wub: and my sister enjoyed her first LD train trip even though she was still recovering from chemo. :)

There's no question that the upper bunk is cramped, and if you have mobility issues I can't recommend it. You can't fully sit up, so you have to sort of roll into it.

The bedroom is somewhat easier because you have more room in front of it and a ladder.

Hubby is about 6', and he has been able to get up there and sleep with no issues. He kind of does a climb/slide into it. That being said, it is pretty small up top. If you have mobility issues, the bottom bunk would be much better. Even better choices would be the Bedroom, bottom bunk or the H Bedroom. The 'H' bedroom is downstairs, which would be better if you have issues with stairs or walking. There are roomettes downstairs, too. To book a downstairs Roomette or 'H' Bedroom, you will need to call Amtrak. Have a great trip!

it is pretty small up top. If you have mobility issues, the bottom bunk would be much better. Even better choices would be the Bedroom, bottom bunk or the H Bedroom. The 'H' bedroom is downstairs, which would be better if you have issues with stairs or walking. There are roomettes downstairs, too. To book a downstairs Roomette or 'H' Bedroom, you will need to call Amtrak. Have a great trip!
I agree it is pretty small. Even if you get a bedroom or even the H-Room, there are still only 2 berths. So someone would have to get into the upper berth!

To book the H-Room, yes you would have to call Amtrak. But to book a lower level roomette, if you're lucky (or unlucky - depending how you look at it), it's the luck of the draw from the computer. IIRC, the 2nd or 3rd roomette "chosen" by the computer when booking online is a lower level roomette! Of course you can always call an agent to request a change if you want - unless that was the last roomette.

The upper bunk can be claustophoic but it isn't bad. I have only slept there once because I roll around a lot up there. I take the bottom level. Husband is not the most flexible but he can get up there. I am also nosy and want to see where we are so I take the bottom level. Another thought - take pillows or something and put it between you and the outside part of the train. Helps when train is jiggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back