Three random Amtrak questions.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Newcomb

Lead Service Attendant
1) Are Amtrak employees covered by the Railroad Retirement Board or some other retirement system?

2) What recourses are available to the crew in the event of an unusual event onboard? (e.g. Fights, heart attacks, etc)

3) How often are engineers changed? Do they get off at some stop then drive home or are several engineers carried onboard?

I cannot answer # 2, but can do so for # 1 and #3. Yes, Amtrak employees receive Railroad Retirement. The engineers ( and conductors ) are under the Hours of Service Law, which means they cannot be on duty more than twelve continuous hours, with various ifs, ands, and buts. On relatively short runs such as the Northeast Corridor,to my knowledge, an engineer would generally make one round trip, say, New York to Washington, with a break of an hour or two and then return to the home terminal. On long distance service, the agreement is that there may be one engineer if the assignment is six hours or less. If it is longer than that, or operates in the middle of the night, then there are two engineers. Examples:

On the Southwest Chief, there is a crew base at Albuquerque and the crews operate in both directions. The crews will leave ABQ midday and run the train to La Junta, Colorado, stay overnight in a motel, and return going west the next morning, arriving back home late in the afternoon of the second day. West from ABQ, it is a long assignment to Kingman, Arizona, where the layover is over 24 hours, which seems like a waste of manpower, but that is the nature of the schedule and the required rest period of at least eight hours. It would not be normal to carry extra crews while on board the train - perhaps that has happened at times, but would not count as rest. Under certain circumstances, such as a disruption in service, crews might be deadheaded on an other train or transported by road, or even by air. It is fairly common if a crew exceeds their hours due to a delay, ( going penalty ) the train will be halted and a relief crew brought out by road transport.

Last edited by a moderator:
So then, having a place for a relief engineer to sleep on the train would not satisfy the legal requirement for rest time? They have to get off the train and rest on solid ground?

1. Amtrak employees are covered by Railroad Retirement.

2. I'm not sure I understand this question. If there is a medical emergency on board, the conductor would contact the dispatcher who would contact the nearest police/fire department that would meet the train at a designated spot.

3. Operating crews (engineers/conductors) are regulated by federal hours of service laws. They operate out of home bases and as Greatcats noted either stay overnight at an away base or run a round trip under the rules of service. Having sleeping accommodations on board is not considered "rest." I know railroads in Australia (even freight trains) often have sleeping accommodations for crews on-board, but this is not permitted in the U.S.

On the subject of recourse such as a fight, if a crew member is injured, then the company will likely end up paying the employee damages. Now I don't know much about this, but I recall many years ago on New Jersey Transit, a conductor was injured by a passenger. He was out of work for awhile, and I understand that he was well compensated for the incident. We took up a collection for him anyway, as he was one of the good guys!

2. I'm not sure I understand this question. If there is a medical emergency on board, the conductor would contact the dispatcher who would contact the nearest police/fire department that would meet the train at a designated spot.
On some routes the train will be a long way from emergency services. I was just wondering what training and equipment the crew has to deal with medical and security emergencies. Do all trains have an AED and large first aid kit? What would happen if there was a fight and someone was stabbed? Does someone have a Taser or Mace; restraints, etc? Who has what legal authority to deal with emergencies?

I believe they certainly have some first aid equipment and AED. Don't know about the others. One fact is the conductor is in charge and his word is law on the train and he or she has the authority to expel passengers who are objectionable, which would usually mean requesting law enforcement meeting the train.

On a somewhat related topic, I have observed on trans - Pacific flights, such as on Air New Zealand from Auckland to Los Angeles, there are crew rest facilities up in the tail of the plane, ( a 747) so that the crew can be relieved while enroute.

On a somewhat related topic, I have observed on trans - Pacific flights, such as on Air New Zealand from Auckland to Los Angeles, there are crew rest facilities up in the tail of the plane, ( a 747) so that the crew can be relieved while enroute.
Yes. The 747 rest area is interesting. There is supposed to be one in the vertical stabilizer and perhaps another behind the cockpit in the hump. Some long-distance planes have a section in business class that's isolated by a heavy curtain where the crew can rest. On some flights there are three (or more) pilots who fly in rotation.

Yes. The 747 rest area is interesting. There is supposed to be one in the vertical stabilizer and perhaps another behind the cockpit in the hump. Some long-distance planes have a section in business class that's isolated by a heavy curtain where the crew can rest. On some flights there are three (or more) pilots who fly in rotation.
Every airline is different. I've been on flights where there was a complete second flight crew. We saw them board and head upstairs. Some airlines just have an additional fully rated first officer. I believe it satisfies all legal requirement even if two first officers are in the cockpit. Heck - I remember back when a flight crew included a flight engineer, and there were two groups of three each.

The sleeping quarters on a single-level airliner are in different locations. I've seen photos of a 777 crew rest area.

Trains are certainly operated differently. It's not practical for a new crew to board mid-flight. Train crews can be stationed anywhere.

As for conductor and engineer crew on Long Distance trains the individual trains pass through crew base cities where the engineer and conductors are changed. The On Board Service crew such as sleeping car attendant, coach attendant, and dining car crew travel the full route of the LD train from origin to destination. For instance my favorite train the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville(SF) passes through these crew change points on its journey where the conductor and engineer is changed--Ottumwa, Iowa; Nebraska; Denver, CO; Grand Junction, CO; Salt Lake City, UT; Reno, NV; and possibly Sacramento, CA. The CZ passes through Nebraska at night so I don;t know for sure where the change is made but either in Omaha, Lincoln, or Hastings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back