Three Rivers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Rail Travel News -- April 30, 2003 -- Issue #657
An additional lounge car attendant works the Three Rivers betweeen Pittsburgh and Philadelphia to prepare and serve entrees to first class passengers. The tables in the end of the lounge car nearest the single Viewliner sleeper are set with table cloths and flower vases. The attedant comes through the sleeper to let passengers know what entrees are avilible (only two choices), and select a time to eat. Entrees are served with a salad, roll, dessert, and beverage and meals are heated in a convection oven.
This is from a passengers account aboard the Three Rivers in May. Supposedly the service started in April.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to ever extend this service further west of Pittsbugh? I'll be traveling from Chicago to Pittsburgh in a bedroom aboard The Three Rivers in September and would love to have breakfast on train before arriving in Pittsburgh at 9:30 AM. I suppose, though, since Pittsburgh is a major service stop they load the meals for the eastbound train at that point.

So, if I can't eat breakfast on the train, does anybody know of a good place for breakfast in Pittsburgh relatively close to the Pittsburgh station?

Also, does The Three Rivers usually run with just one sleeper? I rode it from Chicago to Pittsburgh once before about two years ago but I can't remember what the consist was.

seajay

The Three Rivers does only run with one sleeper, it is towards the front of the train right next to the Baggage car(s) and the Lounge/Dinette.

Hmmmm - well I give you guys a first hand report in just a couple of weeks!

:D

Guest said:
Hmmmm - well I give you guys a first hand report in just a couple of weeks!:D
Great, this is interesting, that this train still has a touch of class despite lacking a diner. :)

Amfleet said:
Viewliner said:
Guest said:
Great, this is interesting, that this train still has a touch of class despite lacking a diner. :)
One baby step toward the come back of the Broadway Limited, I'm tellin ya. B)
I agree, now if only we could make this an all Viewliner train with a Diner, then we should definitely rename this train. B)

One of the participants of the Windy City RailFest took the Three Rivers to Chicago. He told me that the service was quite nice. They did indeed have tablecloths and flowers on the tables. There were two workers in the car and a convection oven had indeed been installed.

He also informed me that the food that they are serving is the same as that which is served in the First Class cars on the Acela Express trains. Breakfast however was nothing special, it was dinner that they spruced up.

Viewliner said:
Amfleet said:
Viewliner said:
Guest said:
One baby step toward the come back of the Broadway Limited, I'm tellin ya. B)
I agree, now if only we could make this an all Viewliner train with a Diner, then we should definitely rename this train. B)
That would be to cool. We just gotta get em' to release the Viewliner-Diner from Beach Grove and we will be all set. :p :D

AMTRAK-P42 said:
That would be to cool. We just gotta get em' to release the Viewliner-Diner from Beach Grove and we will be all set. :p :D
That wouldn't help, since there is only one Viewliner-Diner. You need two in order to provide service on the Three Rivers or a revived Bway Ltd.

Opps - that was me above that posted - I forgot to log in.

I have been tracking the timeliness of the #40. Our connection is about 2 1/2 hours to make the 97. I had read an article that was about how late the Three Rivers always was. So I have been a little concerned about that. But since we have been watching it I haven't seen it be too late.

I have heard some good things about the #40 too - I am looking forward to experiencing it!

radsmom said:
Opps - that was me above that posted - I forgot to log in.
I have been tracking the timeliness of the #40. Our connection is about 2 1/2 hours to make the 97. I had read an article that was about how late the Three Rivers always was. So I have been a little concerned about that. But since we have been watching it I haven't seen it be too late.

I have heard some good things about the #40 too - I am looking forward to experiencing it!
One thing you will find different about the Three Rivers is that the entire on-board service crew (Lounge/Diner Attendants, Coach Attendant, and Sleeping Car Attendant) switch off at Pittsbugh where a new crew boards. This is one train where I would slip your car attendant a few bucks before you go to bed because you may not see him/her the next morning. Also, since the crews are only working 10 hours shifts, not 20, then their attitude may be a little more pleasant (so I've heard).

Out of all of the Amtrak trips I have taken, the on-board service crews on the Three Rivers have been by far the freindliest and seem to truly like their jobs. Other train crews have been professional and helpful, but on the Three Rivers they have always gone out of their way to talk to people, find out where they are going, give suggestions on what to see, get extra pillows, etc. This has been true on trips I have taken both east and west of Pittsburg. The new dining service is a nice addition, I have seen (and smelled!) it and it looks good.

coachseats said:
Out of all of the Amtrak trips I have taken, the on-board service crews on the Three Rivers have been by far the freindliest and seem to truly like their jobs. Other train crews have been professional and helpful, but on the Three Rivers they have always gone out of their way to talk to people, find out where they are going, give suggestions on what to see, get extra pillows, etc. This has been true on trips I have taken both east and west of Pittsburg. The new dining service is a nice addition, I have seen (and smelled!) it and it looks good.
I'm sure size has to be part of the crews attitude as well. The coach attendant only has to take care of passengers in 2-3 coaches. The Lounge probably gets half the amount of patronage than the lounge on the Lake Shore Limited.

I'm new to this forum but have been lurking around and reading some of the very interesting posts these past few weeks.

I just returned from a trip from NYP to DAL which included the Three Rivers. I'll post a trip report later.

But to answer your questions, I went first class, (Bedroom 1, Viewliner Moonlight View)

At Philadelphia, another lounge attendant boards and asks you what time you would like to make a dinner reservation and what the entree selections are.

The food is microwaved and served on faux dishware.

For no diner they certainly make an effort. The lounge does not get that busy during the trip either.

Also, the crew on this train does live up to it's reputation. Incredibly helpful, friendly and accomodating.

We were also early getting into Chicago on Saturday (July 12) morning.

I would definitely take this train over the Lake Shore if you don't mind not having a full diner.

Amfleet said:
One thing you will find different about the Three Rivers is that the entire on-board service crew (Lounge/Diner Attendants, Coach Attendant, and Sleeping Car Attendant) switch off at Pittsbugh where a new crew boards. This is one train where I would slip your car attendant a few bucks before you go to bed because you may not see him/her the next morning. Also, since the crews are only working 10 hours shifts, not 20, then their attitude may be a little more pleasant (so I've heard).
Well that must be a new practice then, because when I last rode the 3R's my sleeping car attendant was with me for the whole trip.

Since the topic of crew friendliness was raised, I'll add a bit about the Lake Shore, even though this topic is about the 3R's.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by my trip on the LSL this month. I had two good sleeping car attendants; both made announcements in the car. Both were friendly and pleasant. Cocco, who was on my return trip, was very helpful and pleasant. Even putting my bed down for me while I was in the diner for dinner. Sadly she made up the lower bed, not the top one where I like to sleep. I didn't have the heart to tell her though that her hard work was wasted, so I just switched it myself.

Even better, I had two decent dining car crews. Going out the LSA was a little odd and reserved, looking very dignified in his three-piece suit. However the waiter was very friendly and efficient. He even chatted and joked briefly with every table.

Coming back my waiter (whom I've seen before), was a little disorganized and slow. However he was still pleasant and kept apologizing for the delay. The LSA however, Melanie was really great. She was friendly, efficient and jumped in where ever help was needed. She would seat two strangers at the same table and say to the new arrival, "Have you met my friend over here." This often broke the ice between two complete strangers.

So I don't know if the bad LSL crews are now on the Capitol, where Superliner Diner and I found bad dining car crews, or if they've all been canned, or maybe its simply that Amtrak workers feel better about their jobs now that David Gunn is running the show. Whatever the reason, it was a nice and pleasant trip. :)

The only complaint I had was the fact that on the way out the A/C in the diner wasn’t working properly. Apparently the thermostat was broken. So either it ran at full blast, turning the car into an icebox, or they had it turned off making it too warm. The crew tried to keep on top of it, turning it on and off, but there were times that we varied from one extreme to the other. Thankfully, since I had the same consist on my return, one of the yards had fixed the thermostat.

So I don't know if the bad LSL crews are now on the Capitol...
Always being thrown my way... <_< I'm crossing my fingers for the best, as I will be going round trip on the Capitol in three weeks. Last years Dining Car crew was great on the Capitol, so now I have no clue what to expect. Thankfully, after years of riding Amtrak, I'm sure I will be able to put up with anything. Also, you and SD rode the Capitol on the old schedule when it departed Chicago after 7:00pm. Maybe the new departure will be better for the crew, or at least get dinner on the table before 10:00pm. B)

Amfleet said:
Also, you and SD rode the Capitol on the old schedule when it departed Chicago after 7:00pm. Maybe the new departure will be better for the crew, or at least get dinner on the table before 10:00pm. B)
Quite right and hopefully that time change will work in your favor. I've got my fingers crossed for you. :)

However, if your steak looks and tastes like pork, watch out. :eek:

However, if your steak looks and tastes like pork, watch out.
Or if my fish tastes like chicken and my rice suddenly morphs into a baked potato. That's when I begin to wonder if Amtrak is hiring out little green aliens to cook our food. :lol:

Also, thank you for the extra set of crossed fingers. :)

Amfleet said:
However, if your steak looks and tastes like pork, watch out.
Or if my fish tastes like chicken and my rice suddenly morphs into a baked potato. That's when I begin to wonder if Amtrak is hiring out little green aliens to cook our food. :lol:

Also, thank you for the extra set of crossed fingers. :)
Well when my pork went back to the kitchen to morph into my filet mingon, my baked potato did morph into mashed potatos. However by that time I really wasn't feeling well at all, plus if I had sent it back again it would have been midnight before I got fed.

I didn't even know we had french fries. :lol: But I have to say (I'm not making excuses here) I usually fill out my own check for the kitchen, and more than once I've circled the wrong thing and scratched my head when I got what I got. I notice that it happens more often when I'm fatigued and we've had a long run.

battalion51 said:
I didn't even know we had french fries. :lol: But I have to say (I'm not making excuses here) I usually fill out my own check for the kitchen, and more than once I've circled the wrong thing and scratched my head when I got what I got. I notice that it happens more often when I'm fatigued and we've had a long run.
B51,

I hear what you are saying there. However, in this case it wasn't the waiter’s error, this despite the fact that he wasn’t a very good waiter IMHO. First off I saw my check and he did have the correct things circled. Secondly even after I sent my pork back, the chef insisted that it was a filet. This despite the fact that both of my table mates agreed that my so called filet looked nothing like the filet that they guy sitting right next to me had ordered.

Third it was served to me in the correct sauce for that dish, not the sauce that would have come with the pork dish. Finally when I was first given my food the first time I did have a baked potato, when I finally got the filet that I ordered my baked potato had become mashed. Then add to that the fact that I ordered my filet medium rare, and what I received was barely cooked. The blood was still running out of it. After 20 minutes of waiting for him to cook a new one, the chef had barely let it touch the grill.

I've had many good crews on Amtrak, but this group was simply the worst that I've ever encountered. It took them over two hours to get the diner open after leaving Chicago. Then it took them forever to serve us. I can tell you that I saw one waiter walk by my sleeper at least 5 times going from the diner to the trans dorm. The chef walked by at least 4 times and probably more.

I don't know what they were doing, but they weren't doing their jobs. :angry:

I have had the same problem. So I find myself willing to let them fill out my check more and more. Expecially after somehow ordering 2 deserts...never did figure that one out. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back