Thruway tips?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exiled in Express

Lead Service Attendant
I recently discovered that MSP had Thruway service and it actually went places I want/need to go at conveinient times. The catch is that I am in MSP already so do not need Amtrak rail travel to meetup with the Thruway bus, that must be booked with rail travel. I did discover that the rail travel does not need to be on the same date or even same city/route as the Thruway so I can pair up unrelated trips to meet this requirement and get ticketed. The problem becomes that I will have unrelated travel on the same reservation, meaning tickets print for both at the same time, and not only am I not dead certain of the future travel I would rather not hold the physical tickets.

Does Amtrak take a dim view on exchanging tickets where part of the reservation has been travelled and is this any different if it is a Thruway segment? The AGR points are the main draw but I also like the cancellation policy, lower price, and AAA discount available when Amtrak is the booking agent rather than the bus company directly.

I'm not real sure how Amtrak would react to your cancelling the train part while having used the bus ticket. My guess is that they probably wouldn't notice at present. As for having the extra ticket to hold, that problem will go away later this year with eTicketing. On the other hand eTicketing will make it easier for Amtrak to track you and realize what you're doing and perhaps shut it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back