Thruway using commuter rail?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveKCMO

Service Attendant
Is it technically legal for Amtrak to contract with a commuter rail agency (Metra, Metrolink, RailRunner, Metro-North) to offer an official, ticketed thruway connection? I don't see it anywhere currently -- even though there are plenty of options -- so I assume Amtrak cannot legally offer such a service (only buses). Or is it simply a matter of commuter rail agencies not wanting to deal with Amtrak and/or passenger baggage.

Seems like a logical option, right?

The NJ Transit Atlantic City Line can be through ticketed by Amtrak as a Thruway connection. Tickets can be purchased to or from any of the NJT line stops to and from any Amtrak destination.

The problem would be luggage.

Let's see these commuter trains check three 50lb bags per passenger.

Thanks! Perhaps it has more to do with the lack of weekend service on many commuter lines? Still, it seems like it should be an option on weekdays (or with lines that operate daily).

Thanks! Perhaps it has more to do with the lack of weekend service on many commuter lines? Still, it seems like it should be an option on weekdays (or with lines that operate daily).
Its a number of things, you'd have to make sure the schedules match and that the commuters might have to hold a train if Amtrak is late. I mean, thats the good thing about using a dedicated thruway system-- they know what's going on with Amtrak and usually are more conducive.

Metrolink does honor Amtrak tickets on the Surfliner route. I think it has to be a 10-trip or monthly pass though, I'm not really sure of the details. And as said before, working out logistics with intercity routes vs. commuter routes might be a nightmare, but it seems to work well when Amtrak is providing commuter like service, such as in California and New Jersey. Sort of like code-share agreements like the airlines have.

Up until just recently when the midday run was eliminated, an ACE (Altamonte Commuter Express) train was also a Thruway connection.

The NJ Transit Atlantic City Line can be through ticketed by Amtrak as a Thruway connection. Tickets can be purchased to or from any of the NJT line stops to and from any Amtrak destination.
I do wonder whether the NJT ACL would be ticketable through Amtrak were it not for bizarre historical reasons.

Also, there's one Amtrak stop you cannot use as an endpoint for a trip on the ACL, if you want an Amtrak ticket: PHL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, there's one Amtrak stop you cannot use as an endpoint for a trip on the ACL, if you want an Amtrak ticket: PHL.
Huh? :unsure:

Just about 9 months ago Longtrain and I both booked tickets on the ACL from AC to Philly without problems. Even got AGR points, after calling. :)

Its a number of things, you'd have to make sure the schedules match and that the commuters might have to hold a train if Amtrak is late. I mean, thats the good thing about using a dedicated thruway system-- they know what's going on with Amtrak and usually are more conducive.
Not necessary if it is a relatively frequent commuter service. On can just take the next train having missed the previous one. NJT trains do not wait for Amtrak connections in 30th St for example. It is not even clear that there is any attempt at schedule coordination since there are so many trains.

Just about 9 months ago Longtrain and I both booked tickets on the ACL from AC to Philly without problems. Even got AGR points, after calling. :)
Hmm. My experiences with this two years ago were that one could not book PHL-CRH (Cherry Hill, first stop on the ACL) via amtrak.com, because that was "only a thru-way". One could book (anywhere-else)-CRH via amtrak.com, because it would result in two travel legs, one on Amtrak and then one on NJT. So I've booked PAO-CRH round-trip, and gotten tickets for PAO-PHL, PHL-CRH, CRH-PHL, and PHL-PAO, for instance. But I've never been able to book PHL-CRH, or PHL-ACY, by itself (except on a NJT ticket machine).

Metrolink does honor Amtrak tickets on the Surfliner route. I think it has to be a 10-trip or monthly pass though, I'm not really sure of the details. And as said before, working out logistics with intercity routes vs. commuter routes might be a nightmare, but it seems to work well when Amtrak is providing commuter like service, such as in California and New Jersey. Sort of like code-share agreements like the airlines have.
Has to be a monthly pass to use and between the same (or closer) city pairs.

Since the state (and other local/regional agencies) subsidizes both services, it kinda makes sense.

using this does cut down on AGR points earned.

Here's a couple of links on Rail2Rail

Rail2Rail.org

Metrolink Rail2Rail

Although it is only a very short ride (less than a mile?), there is that historic honoring of Amtrak ticket stubs into 30th Street Station, Philadelphia, by Septa trains from there to Suburban (Penn Center) Station. This arrangement dates way back to the PRR days, than PC, then Conrail. Not exactly a 'thruway', but an interesting footnote?

This arrangement dates way back to the PRR days, than PC, then Conrail.
I thought Conrail only operated freights! I didn't think they operated any passenger lines.
The transition from PRR/RDG to SEPTA was long and muddy. The City of Philadelphia started paying the PRR and RDG for commuter rail service back in the 1950s, lest it be cut. In 1976, Conrail took over operations of the commuter lines formerly belonging to PC and RDG, operating them under contract to SEPTA. It wasn't until 1 Jan 1983 that SEPTA took over full operations from Conrail.

I believe this arrangement also extends to Market East Station, though I can't swear to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm. My experiences with this two years ago were that one could not book PHL-CRH (Cherry Hill, first stop on the ACL) via amtrak.com, because that was "only a thru-way". One could book (anywhere-else)-CRH via amtrak.com, because it would result in two travel legs, one on Amtrak and then one on NJT. So I've booked PAO-CRH round-trip, and gotten tickets for PAO-PHL, PHL-CRH, CRH-PHL, and PHL-PAO, for instance. But I've never been able to book PHL-CRH, or PHL-ACY, by itself (except on a NJT ticket machine).
Odd, as AlanB said, all I did was call and was given the reservation. That was all the rez was for just the NJT segment. One call to AGR yielded my points as well.

This arrangement dates way back to the PRR days, than PC, then Conrail.
I thought Conrail only operated freights! I didn't think they operated any passenger lines.
The transition from PRR/RDG to SEPTA was long and muddy. The City of Philadelphia started paying the PRR and RDG for commuter rail service back in the 1950s, lest it be cut. In 1976, Conrail took over operations of the commuter lines formerly belonging to PC and RDG, operating them under contract to SEPTA. It wasn't until 1 Jan 1983 that SEPTA took over full operations from Conrail.

I believe this arrangement also extends to Market East Station, though I can't swear to it.
Thank you for clarifying that. I know for a period, the train crews wore Conrail cap badges and lapel pins on their old PC/RDG uniforms. As a matter of fact, I have some in my collection.

I can swear to it. In fact it's printed in all Amtrak timetables, at least prior to the last two when they eliminated the NEC TT's from the National timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back