Ticket Office open on 4th of July?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that the WOR station is only open M-F, which is fine for me to check my bag and get my rail pass on Thursday, but... Thursday is 4th of July, are ticket office's open on holidays?

I can go pick up the ticket tomorrow, but really want to be able to check my bag so I don't have to deal with it all the way to EUG.

I'm about 100% sure it will be open on a holiday.just like airports, bus station, ship ports and highway toll booths are open on holidays. People travel on holidays too!
The Amtrak web site shows the Worcester MA (WOR) ticket office and baggage service closed on Saturday and Sunday. The station is only staffed on weekdays. Given that, my bet is that the station is not staffed on July 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the website, they're open 7 days a week. If they truely aren't, you might ask them to update the website.

Seems really odd what they list. Open 7 days a week, ticket office open weekdays with limited hours, and no Quik-Trak.

Is it a funding issue? I know that all station staff are Amtrak employees, but is there local funding of some kind to pay for the staffing?

It's open 7 days a week, because it is also used by MBTA - who have their own employees. (The same is true at BOS, BBY and BON.) Amtrak has only 1 daily train to/from WOR.
I looked up the Lake Shore Limited, which runs 7 days a week. It's rather odd that they have a ticket window but no QT.

For the most part the Reno, NV station is pretty similar in that they only have one train a day in each direction (plus some bus service), but their ticket office is open every day. I also find it odd that they have baggage service, but not on weekends. I took my kid there for a look once, and it seemed like the station agent had very little to do all day if the ticket window wasn't closed for lunch or a break.

It's open 7 days a week, because it is also used by MBTA - who have their own employees. (The same is true at BOS, BBY and BON.) Amtrak has only 1 daily train to/from WOR.
I looked up the Lake Shore Limited, which runs 7 days a week. It's rather odd that they have a ticket window but no QT.
Actually it's not odd at all. QT's are used at the most heavily used Amtrak Stations and stations that see multiple trains a day. WOR sees two Amtrak trains a day. Stations on the NEC see plenty of trains. Every station in the NEC has a QT.

Actually it's not odd at all. QT's are used at the most heavily used Amtrak Stations and stations that see multiple trains a day. WOR sees two Amtrak trains a day. Stations on the NEC see plenty of trains. Every station in the NEC has a QT.
However, Worcester has a ticket window and baggage service. I've never heard of a ticket window combined with no QT kiosk. If anything, I would have expected a QT kiosk only and a no ticket window, so that ther would be some way to get the ticket on a weekend.

I mentioned Reno, which sees two trains a day plus a few buses. Another one I've been to is Roseville, CA. It sees only a few trains per day, has no ticket window, and has a QT kiosk. They do have bus service though.

DFB, my home station, has both a ticket window and checked baggage service, but no QT machine. And we see 4 trains per day.

However, Worcester has a ticket window and baggage service. I've never heard of a ticket window combined with no QT kiosk. If anything, I would have expected a QT kiosk only and a no ticket window, so that ther would be some way to get the ticket on a weekend.

I mentioned Reno, which sees two trains a day plus a few buses. Another one I've been to is Roseville, CA. It sees only a few trains per day, has no ticket window, and has a QT kiosk. They do have bus service though.
They are stations a plenty that have just a Ticket Office and no QT's. IIRC ALX doesn't have QT's. That station handles quite a few LD trains, and handles Baggage. For a while I believe OSB had not one QT but always had a TO. That changed a few years ago.

Reno has a TO and a QT because it's considered a major hub on the CZ. On top of being a major hub for the CZ there are a lot more passengers use Reno compared to WOR. IIRC EMY doesn't have QT's though, but has a TO. It's been about 6 years since I've been there though.

Reno has a TO and a QT because it's considered a major hub on the CZ. On top of being a major hub for the CZ there are a lot more passengers use Reno compared to WOR. IIRC EMY doesn't have QT's though, but has a TO. It's been about 6 years since I've been there though.
I was there this morning. There's two of them - one at each end of the ticket windows.

They are stations a plenty that have just a Ticket Office and no QT's. IIRC ALX doesn't have QT's. That station handles quite a few LD trains, and handles Baggage. For a while I believe OSB had not one QT but always had a TO. That changed a few years ago.

ALX definitely does have QTs.

ALX definitely does have QTs.
Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't remember if ALX had QT's or not. I obviously thought that ALX didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back