Ticket pricing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVasi

Train Attendant
I have taken Amtrak often for the last several years. I usually buy my tickets for myself and a g/f several months ahead of time. I noticed today I bought a bedroom on the Southwest Chieft to Los Angeles it would be around 600 or so dollars....much cheaper than I would pay for a trip in September to the same city. Should I wait to buy a ticket closer to my departure date or is that too much of a risk on not getting the departure date I want at a good price???

With Amtrak's cancellation policy of a full refund if cancelled 15 days prior to departure, you have nothing to lose to book now. The fare most likely will just rise. But keep checking, as you may find a lower fare, and then you can adjust your reservation.

Also, fares are based on the load for that train on that date and/or time. The train on the 15th may or may not be the same fare as the train on the 14th or 16th. Likewise, on routes that have multiple trains per day, the 4 pm and 10 am trains may have different fares.

From Amtrak's Policies page.

Sleeper Travel: If canceled 15 or more days before the scheduled departure from the origin, sleeping accommodation charges and associated rail fares are refundable less a 10% refund fee. If canceled 14 days or fewer before the scheduled departure from the origin, but before the actual departure, sleeping accommodation charges and associated rail fares are not refundable but the value may be applied to an eVoucher that can be used toward future travel within one year. If not canceled before the scheduled departure ("no show") from the origin, the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back