Ticket Question

• Thread starter J. Niedzwiedzki
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J. Niedzwiedzki

I am looking to book a ticket to Chicago, but I am confused by my options as to what ticket to book.

My options to Chicago or either the 8 Empire Builder or the 28 Empire Builder. The times are the same, both departure and arrival, but the cost for a coach seat is different, the 28 Empire Builder being more expensive. Is there a difference in which ticket I book? To me, the only difference is price, but I am quite inexperienced with Amtrak.

I am looking to book a ticket to Chicago, but I am confused by my options as to what ticket to book.
My options to Chicago or either the 8 Empire Builder or the 28 Empire Builder. The times are the same, both departure and arrival, but the cost for a coach seat is different, the 28 Empire Builder being more expensive. Is there a difference in which ticket I book? To me, the only difference is price, but I am quite inexperienced with Amtrak.
They are the same train. Train 8 comes from Seattle and train 28 comes from Portland. They combine the two in Spokane. Since you will be getting on at either Spokane or somewhere East of Spokane, just take the cheaper price.

Hi,

My understanding of the price difference is that Amtrak are trying to preserve the smaller allocation of available seats on 28 train for passengers going the longer distance.. For example, if all the seats for the number 28 train were booked by folk going from Spokane to Chicago, then there would be zero seats available for anyone wanting to book Portland to Chicago. As there are more coach seats on the section that comes from Seattle those are cheaper.

In any case, just select the cheapest option that comes up between your two stations...

Ed B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong - but I also believe the difference in fare could also be because of the bucket system. Not only would Amtrak try to save space for Portland passengers, but there could be less available seats/sleeper car space on the section of the train which constitutes train 28 then train 8. Therefore, lower availability typically means higher price (aka demand pricing).

There should be no other reason that train 28 is higher priced than train 8 besides availability - coach/sleeper cars on 28 are the same on 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because of the limitations of ARROW (the reservation system), Amtrak needs to list a train from CHI to PDX and another train from CHI to SEA - even though there is only one train between CHI and SPK! It needs to be done this was to preserve seats for someone who begins east of SPK and goes west of SPK. However, if your trip begins and ends east of SPK, you have 2 "trains" to chose from.

You can chose either one. I would chose the least expensive one. Both depart at 12:52 and both arrive at 7:47! (They are the same train!) :rolleyes: If you insist on paying more, chose the lower priced one - then send me the difference between that and the higher fare! :D

Now that my friends have muddied the waters with info (?) about the distance to the dining car, answering OP's question - Both are the same - book the cheaper one. :)

Now that my friends have muddied the waters with info (?) about the distance to the dining car, answering OP's question - Both are the same - book the cheaper one. :)

Yeah, you're correct. I have a problem walking any distance, so that is always in the front of my challenged brain pan!!! :lol:

RF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back