Time for a Phase 6

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NE933

Conductor
Starting with the new rolling stock on order (ACS locomotives and Viewliner II cars), drop the dark teal and use a deep indigo. It's brighter, more cheerful yet still professional in appearance.

Change the candy apple red with something a tad more crimson. It keeps the bright accent like a well dressed man, and solidifies the conveyance of power and solidness amongst adversity.

As for the white, use it minimally. White is white, and most (incl. me) want the colors of the flag to have ties into Amtrak's appearance.

Now for the design, or shape. Loose the "Shamu" scheme; I love the Sea World whale, but this scheme has been in use since 2000 and for me, it evokes lots of bad memories with 9/11, finance and budget meltdowns that almost ended the railroad, as well as personal setbacks. As an opinion that I can offer: trains designs that are multicolored look great with the smart use of a linear arrangement, with perhaps some embellishments such as the 'Acela blob' to offset the severeness of all lines and pinstripes with softer shapes that don't resemble polka dots.

The exact shape and placement of these lines will need to fall under the work of a good designer that will dress up the new rolling stock, then the older ones as they get cycled, in such a way so that the trains don't seem so dour and drab. The present Acela blob thing is silly, admitted, but it's far more cheerful than it's Superliner and Amfleet counterparts. Keep the blobs in much smaller form and use lines to accentuate the high speed; the lines can morph from the main 'blob' on the locomotives, since they are intended to connote the swooshing air when the trains do their thing. Main blob is great, the other ones so randomly thrown in need to be miniturized.

Anyone care to use their computer pens to have a little constructive fun with some ideas?!

na, just bring back Phase 3 all around. It looks really attractive on the P42

Phase 5 looks too soft.

Gotta big big and bold if you wanna make a good impression. Acela would even look good in a phase 3 paint suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have major equipment shortages that prevent daily service on 2 routes and cause serious capacity problems during peak travel times on other routes. Most of the equipment we do have was built before 1985 and is being held together with duct tape. The closest thing we have to high speed rail averages only 70 MPH. We have cities like Las Vegas, Columbus, and Phoenix that don't have service at all, and cities like Cleveland that only have service in the middle of the night. None of our single level LD trains have a proper lounge car anymore. Many of our Congress critters are going to be gung-ho for slashing Amtrak's budget given the current financial situation. And we're worried about paint?

And we still have a handful of equipment running around in phases 3 and 4. Can't we at least wait long enough to have everything match before we start all over again?

The typical non-foamer does not give a rat's rear end how the train is painted. They want convenient, reliable, comfortable, on time train service, that's time competitive with automobiles, and comes with good customer service. If you could do all those things, you could have all of Amtrak's equipment painted in that awful platinum mist scheme they used on a few GG-1s back in the 70s and no one outside of Foamerland would care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with 839, paint schemes is not the most important thing. Yeah, they might be a little out of date, but they aren't mismatched badly like the past.

And look at all the repaired Amfleets and Superliners, they were just painted in Phase IVb, so why repaint them again?

I think maybe adding better signage on equipment so people clearly know what type of car is. I'm sure non familiar people have an issue determining what a type of car is.

But 839 is right, no dier need to repaint 100s of locomotives, 1000s of cars, and station signage. The 40th anniversary engines were a nice gesture, though. Those are cool to look at.

Amtrak needs to work on getting equipment working properly and working on re-training crews to treat passengers better. Just cause your going through a divorce or your forced to work during a funeral of a loved one does not give you the right to take it out on the passengers. Take it out on your employer all you want but leave us passengers out of it. Also teach them to stop making up rules as they go along. AMTRAK can't do much for on time and delays unless you want to pay so amtrak can buy every piece of track it rides on.

We have major equipment shortages that prevent daily service on 2 routes and cause serious capacity problems during peak travel times on other routes. Most of the equipment we do have was built before 1985 and is being held together with duct tape. The closest thing we have to high speed rail averages only 70 MPH. We have cities like Las Vegas, Columbus, and Phoenix that don't have service at all, and cities like Cleveland that only have service in the middle of the night. None of our single level LD trains have a proper lounge car anymore. Many of our Congress critters are going to be gung-ho for slashing Amtrak's budget given the current financial situation. And we're worried about paint?

The typical non-foamer does not give a rat's rear end how the train is painted. They want convenient, reliable, comfortable, on time train service, that's time competitive with automobiles, and comes with good customer service.
I'm worried about dress and appearance, as well as those other items you've mentioned, all of which are true and valid.

One's costume, or outfit, is very important in that people do give a rat's rear. The entire 40th Anniversary special is predicated on popular and beloved design schemes. And yes, we must also advocate for Cleveland and Cincinnati to get decent service of which there sorely lacks, not to mention the Sunset Limited, which admittedly Amtrak has handled like an unwanted abortion conceived of hideous incest. Materials must be used to paint the new stuff, I'm just advocating making a grand opening without the million dollar blow waste the way Acela was launched.

The typical non-foamer does not give a rat's rear end how the train is painted. They want convenient, reliable, comfortable, on time train service, that's time competitive with automobiles, and comes with good customer service.
Exactly. I guess I'm not a foamer.

Amtrak could paint the trains flourescent pink and throw cans of neon green paint at them, and if that made them run more reliably I'd be all for it. But new paint is not likely to change how well trains run, and so should be somewhere near the bottom of the to-do list.

Exactly. I guess I'm not a foamer.
I'm a foamer! :giggle: No not really. :) I just watch trains go by. :) I don't do that horn motion thing. I think that is the stupidest thing you can do. I think that anyone who does that just wants to hear the horn scare the S&*t out of other people. The latest craze on You Tube is this Shave and a Haircut thingy. Who cares. It's a rhythm from the horn. If trains toot there horn at me then thanks but I just like to watch trains not the horn.

Anyway back on topic. Who cares what paint is on the cars and locos. At least their painted! :giggle: If I had to choose one out of the five we had I think that the splotches was interesting and I'd like to see it brought back. If not that then 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back