Time to unload baggage in CHI?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonLPK

Service Attendant
How long of a wait is it to pick up checked baggage in CHI (LSL train)?

Also, has anyone checked baggage 'up to a day early' in CLE?

It seems to me that Al (Railrookie now RailFanLPK) didn't wait more than 15 minutes or so for his bag. But I wasn't really paying attention.

Never tried checking my bag a day early, but there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to do so. However, consider that your bag will go out on that day's train getting to Chicago one day ahead of you. Amtrak will hold it for you, but it may be slightly more complicated to pick it up in that case. And I'm not sure where they hold it either.

Call Cleveland station. Talk to the early morning agent. Tell him your story. These agents in Cleveland are great, and will help if they can. Maybe they can just hold it till the next day. That way you can check it just before train time? Just a thought. Good luck. Have a great trip. :)

Thanks for the good info and suggestions!

I bought CLE-CHI instead of the station 10 minutes from me, ELY, because of the baggage situation. But, I will have to get up about 1-1/2 hours earlier to drive to CLE and then catch the train there -- which wouldn't be so bad except of the oddball departure times to begin with lol!!

So I am still toying with the idea of making a separate earlier trip to CLE for the baggage, and just departing from ELY.

Regarding the good-sized first floor 'bins' on the CL (which we will have when going home), is it possible to put larger-than-carryon-sized there?

Thanks again, just starting to fine-tune the trip plan :)

Regarding the good-sized first floor 'bins' on the CL (which we will have when going home), is it possible to put larger-than-carryon-sized there?
Yes, the luggage storage "bins" on Superliners are large enough to hold MANY, MANY "regular sized" bags! This area is used by people who board/depart from stations that do not offer check baggage service, and so those who can't (or don't chose to) check their bags don't have to carry them up the narrow and winding stairway to get to the upper level of the Superliner.

I recently checked two bicycles at Everett through to CHI, even though we stopped over in MSP for 3 days. I did inquire at the baggage check-in counter if this would be OK; and they said yes.

I'm not sure what the procedure for getting baggage in CHI in the case where it arrives early. However, in the case of bicycles, it is the same as if it had arrived on the same train. You ask the staff at the baggage claim carousel to let you down into the bowels of the station where bikes are stored. No problem.

Also, I checked bicycles a day early from Baltimore to Chicago because the only southbound regional leaves Baltimore for DC very early in the morning. In this case they were transferred the next day to the Capitol Limited, the same train I was on. Again, no problem.

I recently checked two bicycles at Everett through to CHI, even though we stopped over in MSP for 3 days. I did inquire at the baggage check-in counter if this would be OK; and they said yes.
The only thing is that you may have to pay a storage fee, if the bags are not retrieved within (IIRC) 2 days. If they are picked up before then, there is no fee charged.

The only thing is that you may have to pay a storage fee, if the bags are not retrieved within (IIRC) 2 days. If they are picked up before then, there is no fee charged.
You're correct, except its 3 days, not 2 days.

You're correct, except its 3 days, not 2 days.
Nope, it's two days.

From the Amtrak website:

Claiming Checked Baggage: Checked Baggage will be available for claiming generally within 30 minutes of arrival. However, some items may require additional handling and therefore may take up to 60 minutes. Be prepared to identify your baggage by the claim check numbers. Storage charges apply to baggage not claimed within two days of arrival.

Nope, it's two days.
From the Amtrak website:

Claiming Checked Baggage: Checked Baggage will be available for claiming generally within 30 minutes of arrival. However, some items may require additional handling and therefore may take up to 60 minutes. Be prepared to identify your baggage by the claim check numbers. Storage charges apply to baggage not claimed within two days of arrival.
Did that just change? I could have sworn it was 3 days before.

[Consults timetable]

Alright, I guess it always has been two days... :blink:

RE: Cleveland to Chicago baggage question.....

We board in CLE to CHI often and found putting our larger bags in the downstairs compartment on the CL is easy and safe. Never had anyone messing with the baggage. It is easier than checking bags, do not have to carry them up the stairs, and would solve your Elyria boarding problem. Just stick them in the compartment at Elyria and get some extra sleep!! Have a great trip. :)

Railroad Bill

RE: Cleveland to Chicago baggage question.....We board in CLE to CHI often and found putting our larger bags in the downstairs compartment on the CL is easy and safe. Never had anyone messing with the baggage. It is easier than checking bags, do not have to carry them up the stairs, and would solve your Elyria boarding problem. Just stick them in the compartment at Elyria and get some extra sleep!! Have a great trip. :)

Railroad Bill
I think next time we go we will book the CL both ways just for the baggage convenience. No way was I going to try to bring baggage onboard the sold-out LSL at 4:20am when everyone was sleeping (although our attendant did make it very easy for us to board and probably could have helped) :) Coming home I was upset with myself that I checked the baggage rather than drag it onto the CL for pick-up later in the day! Even with the train sold-out coming home, there was still quite a bit of luggage room on the first level...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back