Tips for super long coach class travel?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uptheirons29

Train Attendant
OK, so I posted in another thread that I planned to go to Michigan from Southern California and have decided to take the trains both ways in two different routes. I have purchased my return tickets from Michigan to Anaheim, CA, using the California Zephyr as the main train in that itinerary; I will purchase my outbound ticket later on this month that will feature the Southwest Chief as the main train. My question is, since I'm sure it's been asked before by previous travelers, since I can't afford a sleeper and am going coach class in both of those trains ( i have business class seats reserved for my train home on both the Blue Water out of Kalamazoo to Chicago and the Surfliner from Santa Barbara to Anaheim), do you guys have any tips to share to this newbie to cross country Amtrak travel? I have done the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle and back in both coach and roommette, and the coach trips on those journeys wasn't too bad...so what should I be ready for or do for a 40+ hour train trip in coach class on both the SWC and Zephyr? And also, if you have any experience riding the Pere Marquette and or the Blue Water or Wolverine out in Michigan to/from Chicago, please share. This trip will be taken from Sept. 29th to October 5th.

Coach can be anywhere from very enjoyable to sheer terror, often depending on the folks around you. Whenever I travel overnight in Superliner Coach, I always get up early, grab my grip and head down to the changing room at the end of the Lower Level facilities hallway-many pax don't bother to venture back that far. Inside, there are 2 lavatories and a seat with plenty of room to sponge off, shave and change. And if you need, there is a stool off to the side. And if you're lucky, that unmarked door on the left side of the hallway may lead to the magical bathtub on the next level down :lol:

Since you will be on very crowded trains try to get a window seat in coach! Yoiu already know about taking the needed items (blanket/travel pillow/music/video/books/snacks/eyeshade/earplugs etc.

Remember that breakfast and lunch can be cheaper and better in the diner than buying a la carte in the cafe! Be sure and snag a good seat in the sightseer lounge for the good scenery parts of your routes as this is very polular! (mostly on the right side especially going down the coast and on the CZ)Dinner reservations are sort of hard to comeby, on our just completed trip they were still serving some nights until after 10:30PM and some coach pax didnt get to eat in the diner!

Take comfortable clothes,dark colors are best, and a towel/soap etc. to go with your shaving kit (shaving is something I dont do on trains!)isnt a bad idea! Have a great trip,

you might can snag a spot on the floor to sleep also, that works in coach but the spots are limited!Also walk the train alot to keep the circulation going and get the kinks out!

If you've done the Coast Starlight all that way, then there's not much different about the trips you're going to be taking. A 16 hour trip (or however long the CS is) is not really that much different than a 40 hour trip in coach. Really the only difference is that by the end of it, you're potentially going to feel a lot dirtier. So, a couple changes of clothes, a bigger carry-on bag, some more toiletries to let you wash up. I have gotten really good over the years at washing my hair in the sink on the train. Washing hair/face/hands/arms, changing clothes and shaving seems to be enough to keep the scuzz away on long coach trips like that.

Hi,

I always find the A/C far too cold, so recommend a hat, (or a hoodie!). Try to get a seat away from the stairs, and also not too near the end doors, for less disturbance. I tend to buy a gallon bottle of water.. far cheaper than buying smaller bottles. Also snacks and booze are cheaper to buy before boarding.. Have at least one nice meal in the diner, if you can afford it.

That's it, the sum of my advice, gleaned from thousands of Amtrak miles!

Eddie :cool:

If you've done the Coast Starlight all that way, then there's not much different about the trips you're going to be taking. A 16 hour trip (or however long the CS is) is not really that much different than a 40 hour trip in coach. Really the only difference is that by the end of it, you're potentially going to feel a lot dirtier. So, a couple changes of clothes, a bigger carry-on bag, some more toiletries to let you wash up. I have gotten really good over the years at washing my hair in the sink on the train. Washing hair/face/hands/arms, changing clothes and shaving seems to be enough to keep the scuzz away on long coach trips like that.
Not necessarily, it all boils down to how well you can sleep in a coach seat. If your like me and can't sleep very well in a coach seat by the end of two days you will feel like crap. One over night is ok but much beyond that I need a bed to sleep in. As for washing, its not to difficult. Oh and bring some of your own water, the water from the dispenser in each car is something I avoid. Not that it will make you sick, it just doesn't taste all that great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you will be on very crowded trains try to get a window seat in coach! Yoiu already know about taking the needed items (blanket/travel pillow/music/video/books/snacks/eyeshade/earplugs etc.

Remember that breakfast and lunch can be cheaper and better in the diner than buying a la carte in the cafe! Be sure and snag a good seat in the sightseer lounge for the good scenery parts of your routes as this is very polular! (mostly on the right side especially going down the coast and on the CZ)Dinner reservations are sort of hard to comeby, on our just completed trip they were still serving some nights until after 10:30PM and some coach pax didnt get to eat in the diner!

Take comfortable clothes,dark colors are best, and a towel/soap etc. to go with your shaving kit (shaving is something I dont do on trains!)isnt a bad idea! Have a great trip,

you might can snag a spot on the floor to sleep also, that works in coach but the spots are limited!Also walk the train alot to keep the circulation going and get the kinks out!
It may just be me, but wouldn't think of sleeping on the floor of an Amtrak coach!!! :eek:

Not necessarily, it all boils down to how well you can sleep in a coach seat. If your like me and can't sleep very well in a coach seat by the end of two days you will feel like crap.
You can always sleep in the lounge car, which I have done. On any of the LD trains I've ridden on, you'll always find 4 or 5 people in the lounge car who couldn't sleep in their seat for whatever reason - I don't know what Amtrak's actual policy is on this, but I've never seen a conductor actually kick anybody out. I think they understand that you might get stuck next to a crying baby or something, and you just need some sleep.

Personally, I seem to naturally fall into the "DaVinci" sleep schedule whenever I'm in coach on a train, where I sleep for 20 minutes every few hours. During the few hours that I'm awake, I'm totally fine. Then my eyes close and I'm out for a while. Then I'm fine again. I do also sleep a bit overnight, but usually I can only sleep a few hours - from like 1AM until sunrise. At the end of the trip, though, I'm always perfectly ok.

On my travels, I get up , shower & head to the SSL before breakfast. It seems the conductor starts waking all SSL sleepers around breakfast time.

The CS is 30 hours (10:15 AM to 8:45 PM next day).

A friend of mine is stingy with the cash and goes everywhere coach. He even went coast to coast in coach. He's a hearty soul. What he does is bring a couple of blankets with him and some curtain clips. He sits alone and uses everything to make a private tented in area around his seats, blanket hanging in front and on the side and one in the rear. He calls it his own private space. I've never heard of anything so weird before but it might be a solution for privacy.

A friend of mine is stingy with the cash and goes everywhere coach. He even went coast to coast in coach. He's a hearty soul. What he does is bring a couple of blankets with him and some curtain clips. He sits alone and uses everything to make a private tented in area around his seats, blanket hanging in front and on the side and one in the rear. He calls it his own private space. I've never heard of anything so weird before but it might be a solution for privacy.
Interesting idea but this would never work on a sold out train as they'll find someone to stick next to you.

It's interesting you mentioned this, as I have never seen "Tent City" until a very recent Empire Builder run where so many tents and fortresses appeared in the Coaches I was afraid they were fortifying for an attack against the Sleepers.

It's interesting you mentioned this, as I have never seen "Tent City" until a very recent Empire Builder run where so many tents and fortresses appeared in the Coaches I was afraid they were fortifying for an attack against the Sleepers.
I saw that on a recent trip on the Empire Builder as well.

If you have electronic devices or will need to charge something and will be in a Super Liner, my only advice is from my last over nighter on the Empire Builder:

Board as soon as you can and if there are not outlets at every seat, search out the one seat in the car that has the outlet - it will most likely be about mid shin height very close to the seat ahead of it. You'll need to look closely - it could be a few seats behind the stairs.

Otherwise, you'll have to vulture the only outlet in the Sight Seer lounge behind the upper level bar.

I didn't know this on that trip and wasn't able to use my GPS for more than 2 hours over the day and a half trip from Chicago to Whitefish, MT. Going back the seat was already taken when I boarded.

The CS is 30 hours (10:15 AM to 8:45 PM next day).
I think your math is off as well.

10:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. is 24 hours.

10:15 a.m. to 8:45 p.m. is another 10.5 hours.

That's 34 hours, assuming the train is on time! :lol:

That's actually a good idea. Something needs to be done to improve the overnight coach experience (quiet hours, anyone?). There will never be enough sleepers or high speed trains to spare everyone this experience. I shouldn't be an ordeal, but sometimes it is. After a sleepless night among restless, inconsiderate coach passengers on the Cardinal this spring, I was wondering about the possibility of fitting coach seats with privacy curtains to block the never-dimming ceiling lights. Sounds like other pax aren't waiting for Amtrak to get this memo.

I was wondering about the possibility of fitting coach seats with privacy curtains to block the never-dimming ceiling lights. Sounds like other pax aren't waiting for Amtrak to get this memo.
All the more reason to bring some kind of slumbercoach back. Some would call it 2nd class sleeper accommodations I guess.

Or charge it in the bathroom.

Fabreeze and Axe body spray, my two can't go withouts. Better to smell like a tin can than a sweating pig!

Its a throwback to the day of the Pullman section. I have no idea why the sections were discontinued but can only guess that the Pullamn cars didn't fit as many passengers. As for the blanket tent, I guess it can be always implemented if you travel with a partner or buddy. s for my friend Harvey, he wants first class accomodations at below coach prices so with his blankets, hooks and ear plugs he accomplishes his purpose.

Its a throwback to the day of the Pullman section. I have no idea why the sections were discontinued but can only guess that the Pullamn cars didn't fit as many passengers.
People didn't like them anymore. Bookings were way down. That's why the railroads asked for something new, which became the slumbercoaches. I can't remember who did this first; somehow I'm thinking it was the New York Central.

Open sections are a little different than modern coach because you have facing seats that make the bed. I guess someone could redesign that these days and use an airline-style seat that really lays flat, so you don't need to put two seats together to make a bed. Then you could have seats all facing the same way.

The problem, though, is the seat pitch required for that. Amtrak's standard LD seat pitch isn't enough to make the seats into flat beds. And they'd have to be flat if you were going to ask one of the two people sitting in a half row of two seats to sleep in an upper berth. Or you could just have two non-flat "beds" (just the seats, but not flat) with curtains in between them, but then how would the person by the window get up to use the bathroom if they had to, or do anything else?

By the way, I wonder how many people here have actually ridden in an open section - I'll bet I'm one of the few that has! No, I'm not that old, but Southern was using them on the Crescent right up until the end, and I rode that train in about 1978. Even as a kid I thought it was kind of a weird experience. I much preferred the slumbercoaches.

The Milwaukee Road used specially designed Open Section "Touralux" Sleepers on the Olympian Hiawatha as a mid price point between Coach and Pullman. But as bookings for those declined, they came up with several marketing ploys to keep them occupied, including pricing them at just about Coach fare. I could see something like that working today for family travelers.

I suspect that if Amtrak had the money to build such cars, that sections could and would make a comeback. I'm not certain that Amtrak could sell out a full car of sections on every train, but a split car with maybe 6 or 8 sections probably would work. It might not generate quite as much revenue as the roomettes do, but especially during peak periods I'd bet that they would sell out.

I just rode the Canadian last month, which of course still runs cars with sections or what they call Berths. While the sections weren't all sold out for the entire trip, most were indeed occupied during my run from Vancouver to Toronto.

So with the higher prices these days that Amtrak is charging for the various rooms, I for one do believe that returning sections to Amtrak's inventory would be a viable idea. Of course like most things Amtrak, they first have to find/be given enough money to not only replace the current equipment that is wearing out, but enough money to expand the fleet and increase capacity by bringing additionaly cars online to meet the current demands. Then and only then can they even start thinking about how to bring a section like accomodation back.

I saw some low tents over people on the CL last week, I find the air stuffy enough with out. Why not use a sleep mask? Won't look any odder.

We did have 5 or 6 dingbats who walked through the car every hour or more, they went forward and then a little later back again, don't think there can be that many 20 year olds with poor leg circulation! I had earplugs but loath to use them in that situation, sound may be my only warning somebody is about to mess with me or my stuff. Contrary to my fears of overheating, by 11pm I was cold in my walking shorts, so I pulled on my pants over them, next time I will have sweatpants for that, warmer and more comfy, I have to snip the leg elastic because frequently it is tight on my ankle and I do need all the blood flow to my feet I can get.

Bringing your own water is a must in my book, train water runs from unpleasant to vile, but I have been spoiled all my life with excellent well water.

If you can try several different seats, I got stuck in one that the foam had died on, almost like riding on a piece of plywood. I went and sat on the floor behind the last seat and that was more comfortable for an hour, then enough people got off I could lay down in a pair of seats with my head on the armrest and my feet against the side wall, this afforded me maybe 3 hours of sleep, but my feet stopped aching.

I did have an aisle seat, didn't think till too late that I needed the wall to get comfortable sleep, what a blunder.

I like to take apples, they travel well and keep my innards happy.

Take a timetable and map with you, cheaper than a scanner or a GPS and can keep your mind busy for a while.

A pair of house shoes is nice, next time I will take an old pair of Croc knockoffs, very light weight, easy on the feet and offer basic toe protection.

I did take a light blue all cotton thin casual shirt, it allowed me to keep cool and feel well dressed.

From my sister this idea, take some baby wipes in a ziplock if you are susceptible to crotch rashs or such, even if the water runs out or the toilets fail you have relief at hand.

I suspect that if Amtrak had the money to build such cars, that sections could and would make a comeback. I'm not certain that Amtrak could sell out a full car of sections on every train, but a split car with maybe 6 or 8 sections probably would work. It might not generate quite as much revenue as the roomettes do, but especially during peak periods I'd bet that they would sell out.

I just rode the Canadian last month, which of course still runs cars with sections or what they call Berths. While the sections weren't all sold out for the entire trip, most were indeed occupied during my run from Vancouver to Toronto.

So with the higher prices these days that Amtrak is charging for the various rooms, I for one do believe that returning sections to Amtrak's inventory would be a viable idea. Of course like most things Amtrak, they first have to find/be given enough money to not only replace the current equipment that is wearing out, but enough money to expand the fleet and increase capacity by bringing additionaly cars online to meet the current demands. Then and only then can they even start thinking about how to bring a section like accomodation back.
I think a lot of us would like to read about your impressions of the Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back