Today's eastbound Sunset

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamar

Train Attendant
Anyone know why the Sunset lost 6 hours between San Antonio and Houston last night?

Anyone know why the Sunset lost 6 hours between San Antonio and Houston last night?
Engine failure! It's happening everywhere right now! #2 was finally hooked up to a freight engine and dragged in HOS 6 hrs. late. Trainorders has a little info on this, also #3/#4/#5/#6 are having the same problems evidently and #22 left SAS this morning with a UP engine leading! :eek:

When you run a single engine that has to provide HEP as well as train power and don't do proper maintenance things happen. The optimum operating temp of a diesel locomotive is 165 degrees but it can't, and won't, run forever. Single engine trains seem to be a "dare to die" to GE but when two engines quit somebody is not maintaining the fleet. With Chicago being the hub for a majority of our LD trains it might be that they have taken on the work ethic, or lack there of, of the coach cleaners who turn the Eagle into the City without ever touching a broom or a roll of TP. If Amtrak keeps this up the UP is going to be very cautious of any daily trains that might be in the crystal ball. :help:

Host railroads might start demanding Amtrak run with 2-3-4 engines so they don't break down and block traffic. Does Amtrak get charged if they need a rescue engine from a host railroad. If not charge them per mile it's needed + fuel. Amtrak might then start doing better maintenance on the engines if there going to get billed for using a freight loco.I understand they got money issues but having engines break down left and right is also going to hurt them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak pays a heavy duty fee for engine rental and the crew from the home road that has to bring the engine to wherever an Amtrak train is tied up because of engine failure.(and don't forget freight locomotives do not have HEP) I've seen dispatchers throw their pen down in disgust when an Amtrak train dies on single track and the nearest locomotive is quite a distance away. I have been on a Sunset where the following train cut off his lead engine clear of a siding (on the main) and pulled # 1 back into the siding and coupled back to his train and went on his way. It was three hours before a relief crew and engine showed up as we watched freight after freight go whizzing by. Thank goodness it was October :help: :help: :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Having lived in Lafayette, Louisiana for a number of years, we've seen UP leading #1 many times. Lately they have been maintaining a good schedule, but we've seen #1 as late as 27 hours in the past. Thank heavens it is a 3 times a week train.

When you run a single engine that has to provide HEP as well as train power and don't do proper maintenance things happen. The optimum operating temp of a diesel locomotive is 165 degrees but it can't, and won't, run forever. Single engine trains seem to be a "dare to die" to GE but when two engines quit somebody is not maintaining the fleet. With Chicago being the hub for a majority of our LD trains it might be that they have taken on the work ethic, or lack there of, of the coach cleaners who turn the Eagle into the City without ever touching a broom or a roll of TP. If Amtrak keeps this up the UP is going to be very cautious of any daily trains that might be in the crystal ball. :help:
I have been on a train where both engines quit. I say on it, I spent a lot of time waiting for it to turn up in the first place too!

I was on the LSL last year heading to Boston when The computers in both locomotives crashed. We been loosing HEP on and off throughout the day until 40 minutes from rooster mass The computers just crashed and left us costing down the track at full speed.

I was on the LSL last year heading to Boston when The computers in both locomotives crashed. We been loosing HEP on and off throughout the day until 40 minutes from rooster mass The computers just crashed and left us costing down the track at full speed.
Aloha

Wasn't that where on the Boston Gathering We also lost the computers but the engines shut down.

Aloha

Wasn't that where on the Boston Gathering We also lost the computers but the engines shut down.
Right the computers quit but the I think the prime mover still ran just no power to the wheels or HEP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back