Tom's rail trips #2 - Lincoln Service from St. Louis to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siberianmo

Service Attendant
Good Morning from a spectacular spring morning in mid-continent USA where things are about to go "south" as a storm front is on the way. What's new, eh?

Some trip info from my latest venture on the rails - Amtrak's Lincoln Service, train 302 from St. Louis to Chicago on May 7th, 2014 in Business Class . . .

Trip Report

May 7th, 2014

St. Louis – Chicago

Aboard the Lincoln Service #302

Solo

Wednesday, May 7th:

Lincoln Service #302

Departed home at 5:30 AM for the ride downtown. Warm and dry start to the day. Arrived at Amtrak’s long-term parking lot at 6 – in station by 6:10.

Crowded inside station; queued up for boarding at 6:20; on board at 6:27.

Café/Business Class car at end of consist with boarding thru rearmost door; very unusual but very much appreciated.

Sat in single seat on port side to the rear – sun will be on other side.

Equipment:

Locomotive - AMD P42 #68

Horizon coaches #54523 – 54529 – 54524 – 54582

Amfleet Café/Business Class # 48175

Departed on time with only me in the 18 seat Business Class section. First time that ever happened on any of my trips! Did not get another passenger until Carlinville, IL – then 9 at Springfield and 3 more at Bloomington/Normal.

Some strange slow downs as we seemed to crawl through Granite City with no noticeable reason for it nor any announcements. We ran behind schedule for the entire trip with stops, slow downs and the ever-familiar trip to a siding to allow a southbound Amtrak train to remain on the main line. We had to back onto the main.

Took many shots through the dirty rear vestibule glass and many more from my seat. Visibility was okay with overcast setting in as we proceeded further north.

USA Today paper and unlimited coffee refills were provided by the car attendant B. Johnson – cordial but not very talkative. Ordered a fruit cup along the way – always enjoy the bill of fare aboard Lincoln Service. Only can wish that the Missouri River Runner could get their act together for food service.

Interior of car was clean; temperature was warmer than I like and the window glass had so many water spots on them that I had to wonder if anyone in St. Louis knows what the word “rinse” means!

Station Departures/Arrival:

St. Louis, Missouri On time departure sked – 6:40 AM

Alton, Illinois 7:37 – 12 minutes late departing – sked 7:25

Carlinville 8:12 – 17 minutes late departing – sked 7:55

Springfield 9:00 – 23 minutes late departing – sked 8:37

Lincoln 9:30 – 25 minutes late departing – sked 9:05

Bloomington-

Normal 10:02 – 16 minutes late departing – sked 9:46

Pontiac 10:31 – 17 minutes late departing – sked 10:14

Dwight 10:48 – 16 minutes late departing – sked 10:32

Joliet 12:01 – 42 minutes late departing – sked 11:19

Summit 12:27 – 43 minutes late departing – sked 11:44

Chicago 12:50 – 30 minutes late arriving - sked 12:20 PM

Disembarked thru the rear door which made it so much easier and sensible compared to previous experiences. Sent a favorable Email to Amtrak!

Proceeded to the Metropolitan Lounge in Union Station for my return trip aboard the Texas Eagle, train 21, departing at 1:45 PM . . . .

==================================================
Some fotos follow . . .

Check out my website for descriptions, but most of these pretty much tell the story along the route from St. Louis, MO to Chicago, IL . . .

Enjoy!

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

Very enjoyable and great pics! I've always enjoyed my rides on the Lincoln Trains and the River Runners, especially in the 2x1 Seating Cafe/Biz Class Car! I didn't know they have them on the Illinois Trains either!

Good Morning to:

the_traveler - Railroad Bill - jimhudson - Michigan Mom (Happy Mother's Day!) - MikefromCrete

Thanx for the comments regarding my trip!

While I surely am NOT an accomplished photographer - a point 'n shoot kinda guy - after literally zillions of rail miles with camera lens up against mostly-dirty glass, my snaps come out well enough to please the eye. Hardly professional, but good enough to get the idea of it all. Glad they "worked" here.

the_traveler: All I can add is if one wants to "go on a train," then one should go on a train! Also, thanx for the insight regarding "my" Cafe/Business Class car - I will add that to my notes.

Railroad Bill: I have gotten to the point in life where if Business Class is available, I book it. I would recommend at least a week or more in advance for reservations as that section sells out rather quickly. Pricey, but a bit more comfortable with privacy and relative quiet! If the car is at the end of the consist, makes it even nicer for foto taking.

jimhudson: Didn't take much time for me to "adjust" to that 2x1 seating in Business Class. Really nice for the lone traveler - which most times I am - so it "works" for me!

Michigan Mom: I have been known to have an "eye" for this 'n that, but thanx for the comment! My little Canon Elph "does it" just it just fine, but it took me awhile to figure it all out. Those teensy weeny buttons are a nuisance for fingers that seem to not want to work! However, thus far - no real problems. Cleaner windows would help a whole helluva lot!

MikefromCrete: I know I could look it up - but just curious: where is Crete, IL in relation to closest Amtrak station?

A few more shots before I get a move on . . .

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

Nearest Amtrak station to Crete, IL, is Dyer, IN, followed by Homewood, IL. and only about 30 miles from CUS. Crete is in Will County, whose county seat is Joliet (also an Amtrak stop). Crete is located on the Union Pacific/CSX, formerly Chicago and Eastern Illinois, which is the detour route for the Texas Eagle during the Chicago-St. Louis HSR construction seasons. The village was founded in 1836 and named after the Island of Crete, although I'm not sure why since the original settlers were from Vermont and most of the early residents were German Lutherans.

Last edited by a moderator:
For: MikefromCrete - Thanx for the info! I concur regarding the naming of the town given that German Lutherans were the first to arrive . . . hmmmmm.

For: the-traveler - nice try, no cigar!

For: Green Maned Lion - don't quit your day job!

Great pictures! Love traveling by train via experienced eyes.... I've only been to St Louis at 5 a.m.... in the airport at 12 or 13 or 15... Sister worked for TWA and I sat alone and did my seek and finds, since what else can a youngster do at 5 am in an airport waiting to transfer to another flight? The arch looks beautiful.

For: bobnjulie - Your mention of TWA brought to mind some very fond memories of many, many miles amassed flying between St. Louis and Los Angeles - when I retired, I had racked up 300,000 miles just to give you an idea. Yeah, TWA was a fine airline before hewing destroyed by the corporate raider. Oh well, life moves on, eh?

Glad you enjoyed the rail snaps!

Later . . .

Back