Tough call

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abcnews

OBS Chief
We have had an AMEX Gold Card for quite awhile. Lately I have been transferring all of the Membership Rewards points into our Amtrak Guests Rewards account (via Continental One Pass). The problem is I use the points faster than I can earn them. I do have a large family, so when we travel it takes a lot of points.

So I just received an offer from AMEX to "upgrade" to their "Platinum" card. It includes a lot of vey nice benefits that would help our business, but it also includes a one time bonus of 25,000 points. These points can be transferred over to AGR (25,000). But, the card has an annual fee of $450. But it also has a lot of other nice features too, perhaps worth the $450 - without considering the 25,000 points.

Anyone else get this offer? I wonder - if I hold out, will they "up" the offer to 50,000 with a new proposal?

I've never seen the Platinum card offered with more than 25k Membership points, but its $450 annual fee is so high I haven't looked very closely.

$450 Is cheaper than buying the points (not that you could buy 25,000 at once, but still). Take the points, transfer the points, use the points, downgrade the card again next year.

I would only have the card for one year, since AMEX ends the transfer to CA ONE PASS (which can transfer to AGR) as of Sept 30th, 2011. But the card also has other perks, includes memberships to Airline Clubs at major airports. A 5,000 points bonus - if we spend $10,000 in one month. Best of all - insurance on gear I purchase with the card (I'm a professional photographer) - includes, damage costs - even if I drop a camera, loss - if I just lose it, theft coverage, and warranty extension. I think you also get a companion airline ticket (buy one, get 2nd ticket free). Not sure what the restrictions are... But we are planing a few trips this year.

So - maybe I try it for one year?

Back