Track/equipment conditions Zephyr vs. Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going from Memphis to Flagstaff mid-march, CONO to Chicago connecting to SWC, final is Phoenix where I will meet up with my brothers and friends for our annual golf tune-up. Will stay at Little America overnight and drive down to Phoenix the next morning, perhaps with a stop in Sedona for lunch.

Did the trip last year and took the Zephyr to Reno and flew down to Phoenix for about the same price it will cost me to rent a car and drive down to Phoenix from Flagstaff. Also interesting to note about the same amount of time involved.

My question is about track/equipment conditions. Last year I got a great last minute deal on the family bedroom on the Zephyr, in the end I was very pleased. However, on the way up to Chicago I had a roomette upstairs and stopped to use the restroom after breakfast downstairs in our sleeper. I had one of those "oh no, what have I done?" moments. The shake, rattle, roll and noise downstairs was pretty bad and I thought seriously about trying to get back into a roomette on the Zephyr. When I asked about it in the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago I was assured that the equipment and track conditions were very good so I stuck with it and was happy I did. I was also told and have read here in the forums that host railroad, CP I believe, isn't too concerned about the CONO and you just have to deal with it.

I have already booked a bedroom upstairs, Room D close to the middle for the best ride. Will it be as smooth as the Zephyr?

Next year might try the Sunset Limited to Tucson or Maricopa for the trip.

Thanks in advance for the input.

There are some rough tracks in Northern Mississippi and around Memphis, but after that, once you cross the Mississippi heading North into Illinois, the track should be smooth.

Remember there is no chef on the CONO so you'll have a limited heat and heat menu served in the CCC.

As for the SWC, there are some rough tracks in Western Kansas, and the Chief has Slow orders in several places due to tracks being in less than pristine condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general I find that the upper level, middle of the car to be the smoothest. Basically anywhere on the upper level will be smoother than the bottom level, in my personal opinion. The bumpiest, and quite frankly most frightening Amtrak ride I ever took was a Family bedroom on the auto train. The lateral movement and "bang bang bang"(ing) all night was very intense.

With that said, the last time I rode the SWC was in 2014 and yes, the western part of Kansas is pretty bumpy, but I will say that the eastern part of Kansas seemed a bit more scary because the speeds were still at 79 instead of 60, however, they have started work replacing track in western Kansas so you it is possible that it may be a little bit better for you.

When I went to visit my sister in Phoenix last year, I also elected the SWC to Flagstaff, a daily schedule is much safer than potentially missing a 3 day a week train. Also stayed at Little America, nice place, good breakfast. Train will probably arrive too late for pickup, but cab is not expensive, courtesy phone was on the wall in the station because the cabs that met the train were not enough. Roomette, upper, middle, both ways, ride was ok for me, but everyone has a different sense of motion. My brother in law was flying out of town the next morning, so I took the shuttle van from Flag to the PHX airport to grab his car, going home I got a one way rental (Enterprise) and they let me leave the car in a lot on the other side of the tracks and drop the keys in a box in the station. Stopped at cliff dwellings on the way up, went to Lowell Observatory after dark and slept at Little America again. No regrets.

Enjoy your trip!

Enjoy Flagstaff and try to spend a little time here. Check out our three National Monuments nearby wehere I am a volunteer. ( at Sunset Crater Volcano. )

Thank you for your work at the National Monument. As I mentioned, I stopped at the cliff dwellings (Montezuma's Castle) and will try to shape my next trip to allow visits to the others. Well worth it.

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the insights on the trip.

Greatcats, saw from your signature that you are a Jersey boy. I grew up in East Brunswick, was there from 1957-1973. Now retired in Memphis and missing the diners, pizza and Italian food in general from that NJ/NYC area. And good pastrami....forget about it!

I will do some research on the monuments. Toying with the idea of a quick trip to the canyon based on weather at the time. I visited there several summers ago and that combined with a few days in Sedona was just too good!

1. There are still many good places to get corned beef, really good patrami is harder than ever even here in NYC.

2. Whenever I think of Sedona, I think of the beauty and serenity of the Chapel of the Holy Cross, one of the most beautiful and spiritual places on earth, take it from a non RC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back