Track Your Train map: why was the old one removed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrescent

OBS Chief
Amtrak used to have a map where (if I recall correctly) you could type in your train number and see your train moving, and it would show the speed and other train information. It was handy.

Now it’s been replaced with the Track Your Train map. I find it hard to use on a phone; particularly if you are on a route with multiple trains (since you have to tap along the route, without knowing which arrow that indicates a train is your specific train, so it takes a while to find your specific train).

Why did Amtrak change? The old map was better.

Amtrak used to have a map where (if I recall correctly) you could type in your train number and see your train moving, and it would show the speed and other train information. It was handy.

Now it’s been replaced with the Track Your Train map. I find it hard to use on a phone; particularly if you are on a route with multiple trains (since you have to tap along the route, without knowing which arrow that indicates a train is your specific train, so it takes a while to find your specific train).

Why did Amtrak change? The old map was better.
The track your train map has been around for many years. At least 5-10 years. It’s never been designed for a mobile phone.

If you want a mobile friendly version I suggest you use this website. It’s not Amtrak’s official product, but it’s very good.

https://asm.transitdocs.com/

The track your train map has been around for many years. At least 5-10 years. It’s never been designed for a mobile phone.

If you want a mobile friendly version I suggest you use this website. It’s not Amtrak’s official product, but it’s very good.

https://asm.transitdocs.com/
Thanks for the other website- I appreciate that. And thanks for your response. The asm.transitdocs.com website that you mentioned is much better.

I may be confused/wrong but there was something before, available onboard, that showed your train moving along a map, with speed, etc. shown. I liked it.

Thanks for the other website- I appreciate that. And thanks for your response. The asm.transitdocs.com website that you mentioned is much better.

I may be confused/wrong but there was something before, available onboard, that showed your train moving along a map, with speed, etc. shown. I liked it.
I think you have to be connected to Amtraks onboard wifi for that.

I think you have to be connected to Amtraks onboard wifi for that.
Thanks for your response. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but the Track Your Train map onboard, when connected to Amtrak wifi, no no longer shows trains in real time, moving along the map.

The map on their website does this, as it has since it's been released at least 5 years ago:
View attachment 29421
Sorry, I haven’t been clear.

The current Amtrak map allows you to click and see the status of a train, as of a few minutes ago.

There used to be a map that would actually show the train moving along the line, in real time. It was much more useful. If you wanted to know exactly where the train was and its speed at that exact moment, you could.

Last edited:
You can see that from the map above. It isn't realtime, but it's updated every handful of minutes. It's what has existed forever and it's still there.
No, there definitely was another map that Amtrak had that would show trains actually moving along the line. I used it once on an Empire Service train when it temporarily served Grand Central, and recall it showing the train creeping through the Bronx at 30 mph.

Guys, he’s talking about a mail that would pop up when you logged into the Amtrak wifi on your train. It would show where YOUR train was. I’ve seen it on the NEC. I always had trouble finding it later though. I liken it to my GPS map app that I’ve used on trains.
@PRR 60 , did you tell me once how to find it again?

Guys, he’s talking about a mail that would pop up when you logged into the Amtrak wifi on your train. I’ve seen it on the NEC. I always had trouble finding it later though.
@PRR 60 , did you tell me once how to find it again?
It’s gone. I’ve been searching for it onboard and the only Amtrak map or the like is the one whose photo is above.

If you have an iPhone you can use the maps app to do something similar (although it doesn’t show speed). The app tracks your location real time, and if you select “transit” on the settings it will show all Amtrak routes (in addition to local subway/rail). You can at least then track your location real-time, at least as long as you have cellular service.

If you have an iPhone you can use the maps app to do something similar (although it doesn’t show speed). The app tracks your location real time, and if you select “transit” on the settings it will show all Amtrak routes (in addition to local subway/rail). You can at least then track your location real-time, at least as long as you have cellular service.
Thanks, that works- much appreciated!

Ah, it’s part of the AmtrakConnect. Since I’m not on a train I can’t test funding it. Maybe you can use your browser to search for AmtrakConnect. Or try AmtrakConnect.com

Ah, it’s part of the AmtrakConnect. Since I’m not on a train I can’t test funding it. Maybe you can use your browser to search for AmtrakConnect. Or try AmtrakConnect.com
No, no, no, no, no. Sorry to be blunt but my posts aren’t getting through.

The Amtrak map that showed trains moving along the line, in real time, is gone. Done, finished, over.

My question is why it was replaced with the Track your Train map that only shows the status as of a few minutes ago.

Has anyone ever used the Gaia GPS app to track progress on the train you're on?

I use it successfully on my Android phone while backpacking in the most remote locations. It's GPS based so it doesn't depend on an internet connection for most functions. I find it to be very accurate. It even lets you get started by pinpointing exactly where you are at the moment.There is also an IOS version.

Gaia GPS seems to know where all the trails and roads are. Does it know where the tracks are? Next time I'm on Amtrak I'm going to try it, just wondering if anyone here has already done so.

Back