Train Consists

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locobill

Train Attendant
Is there anywhere on the Amtrak site, or anywhere else, that shows the current makeup of the various train consists? Also, if there are changes, such as additional baggage cars, where would they be posted?

With the exception of the Acela & Cascade Talgos, consists can change on a daily basis. So even if Amtrak were to have a train layout page, it would be obsolete long before they even finished making it.

That being said, the link posted earlier is still probably pretty close.

As of recent the EB sure has been having an odd ball consist of cars -
More than a consistent train set make up -

T dorms front and back (tail car)
Extra baggage car (tail car)
Sleeper or Coach car between locomotive and baggage car

Wonder if these extra cars are being ferried to/from Chicago and Beech Grove for rework upgrading maintenance repairs ?

Things seem to back to normal with 2 locomotives instead of the 3 (winter weather BNSF requirement)
There was one trip with 4 locomotives (2 new Siemens units) .

I just wonder if the Montana accident taking out half a train set is causing a mix and match problem for the consists -
That and the late operation of the EB causing problems making up a train set consist for the following day -
Has to be a real head ache for the Chicago yard putting together something.

Realizing that the EB is probably not the only one - Chief - Zephyr

As of recent the EB sure has been having an odd ball consist of cars -
More than a consistent train set make up -

T dorms front and back (tail car)
Extra baggage car (tail car)
Sleeper or Coach car between locomotive and baggage car

Wonder if these extra cars are being ferried to/from Chicago and Beech Grove for rework upgrading maintenance repairs ?
Apparently, the extra car between the locomotive and the baggage car is for Siemens engineers in case the new long-distance Chargers experience any technical difficulties en route—which they have, which explains why there were five locomotives on the eastbound yesterday and as of 6:00 p.m. today the westbound still hasn't left Chicago (it was supposed to leave at 2:15). Although I've heard some of the difficulties may be due to PTC on the freight railroads so I'm not sure there's much they can do about that.

Things seem to back to normal with 2 locomotives instead of the 3 (winter weather BNSF requirement)
There was one trip with 4 locomotives (2 new Siemens units) .
There were five locomotives on the eastbound yesterday:

I just wonder if the Montana accident taking out half a train set is causing a mix and match problem for the consists -
That and the late operation of the EB causing problems making up a train set consist for the following day -
Has to be a real head ache for the Chicago yard putting together something.

Realizing that the EB is probably not the only one - Chief - Zephyr
I'm not sure about the California Zephyr, but as of 6:00 p.m. the Southwest Chief still has not left Chicago (it was supposed to leave at 2:50: Amtrak Station Status Boards). Not sure if they are using Chargers or not.

Last edited:
Back