Train Dispatchers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Service Attendant
Anyone have any friends or know people that do this? I am most curious what kind of schedules they work. Shifts? Or called as needed? It is the railroad, so you know it probably isn't anything set in stone...but if anyone knows!

Anyone have any friends or know people that do this? I am most curious what kind of schedules they work. Shifts? Or called as needed? It is the railroad, so you know it probably isn't anything set in stone...but if anyone knows!
The Union Pacific dispatchers are mostly based in what is called "The Bunker" (it is totally underground probably for security reasons) in Omaha, NE. After the SP merger meltdown of the middle 90's they established some satellite dispatching centers to handle bottle neck areas. Spring, TX is one and it handles the Houston area with other RR dispatchers sitting in the same room. The dispatchers are RR managers and work 12 hour shifts~ three days on and three days off. They work for a Corridor Manager who oversees each dispatching station from an elevated walkway. Every dispatcher is enclosed in a glass cubicle and the entire UP system is lit up on the wall with trains and signals displayed on the wall. It is quite a sight and one you wouldn't forget if you ever got in to see it. Personally, I found it to be a pressure cooker but I worked outside my entire RR career.

the entire UP system is lit up on the wall with trains and signals displayed on the wall. It is quite a sight and one you wouldn't forget if you ever got in to see it.
I agree that wall must be something to see! I'd imgaine UP would have at least 100 trains in operation at any given time over its 1000s of miles track.

Where does the UP mainline go through in Nebraska? I know North Platte NE (cuz thats where I was born and almost all of our neighbors worked for UP) but where does it go from Omaha west to NP to the state line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back