Train speed weirdness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuel consumption is done differently in metric - rather than being expressed as distance unit travelled by given quantity unit of fuel (mpg) where the higher the number, the more economic the travel; it's done as quantity unit of fuel per distance unit travelled (litres per 100kms) where the lower the number, the more economic the travel. It's also an easier number to calculate as you rarely need to divide the number of litres by a double-digit figure. My full tank will get me close to 800kms, for example.
It's also a more relevant number for those who are interested in reducing fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. A "fuel economy" number like "miles per gallon" or "liters per kilometer" gives the subtle hint that you can drive greater distances and still use the same amount of fuel. What's really needed is to drive the same distance and use less fuel. EPA and NHTSA really need to change their fuel economy metric to "gallons per 100 miles" even if the US never converts to metric.

Fuel consumption is done differently in metric - rather than being expressed as distance unit travelled by given quantity unit of fuel (mpg) where the higher the number, the more economic the travel; it's done as quantity unit of fuel per distance unit travelled (litres per 100kms) where the lower the number, the more economic the travel. It's also an easier number to calculate as you rarely need to divide the number of litres by a double-digit figure. My full tank will get me close to 800kms, for example.
This may simply be another thing Australia does backwards. My experience with this was in Taiwan, and expressing it in km/L seemed to be comprehended by all in any conversation. (Aha, another example of er-re confusion in liter.) Years ago one of my relatives took a tour into Australia, and one of the questions asked on entry was, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" He said it was a strong temptation to ask, "Is this still a requirement for admission?" but decided that would not be a wise move.

Can confirm that liters per 100 km is the standard in Canada, and I was (until your mention of Taiwan) under the impression it was standard worldwide-outside-the-US.

Back