Train whistle (horn) Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe there is one automatic feature.....when the engineer blows the horn, I believe the locomotive bell will also start ringing for some interval, not sure just how long.....

Yep, the ditchlights will activate *flash* when the horn is sounded, and the bell will ring as well. They also have a separate bell button. I've heard it on the Pac-Surf vids I've seen on Youtube, they will start ringing the bell as they take off.

Personally, unless a train track was built when one lived in a certain place or rail service was just established, people should (hopefully) understand that there will generally be noise if one lives next to rail road tracks!
One would hope for that, but alas it's far from the reality.

People buy houses next to airport runways; and then complain about the noise. So we find pilots now doing stunts that would make a fighter pilot proud, like throttling back their power seconds after leaving the runway and making sharp turns all to prevent someone from hearing too much noise. I don't recall if that's O'Hare or Midway in Chicago where they have to perform that nonsense, but regardless it's a dance that pilots should never have to do!

And we spend billions in this country erecting sound barriers alongside highways because someone brought a house without considering how loud the highway would be. :rolleyes:

So I'm not at all surprised that people buying a house next to a train track never consider the noise associated with it. And then of course it becomes a problem that someone else should solve for them, as it couldn't be their poor decision that caused the issue.
Another example of "airport acrobatics" is Washington National Airport. Due to the restricted airspace over DC and the Pentagon, aircraft must do much twists and turns and follow the Potomac River when taking off or landing on the north. And that runway is in line with some of the restricted airspace immediately before landing or takeoff! :eek:

The city where I serve as an elected official has "quiet zones" which are all the way through the city along the UP track between DAL and FTW. We installed full street crossing arms, along with an 8' high curb in the middle of the opposing traffic lanes. Thw wayside horns are in fact bells that travel down the streets, not down the tracks. We also have installed grade crossing cameras, similiar to red-light cameras, that will cost you 75 bux if you run under the arms after the lights come on and the arms begin descending down!

Personally, unless a train track was built when one lived in a certain place or rail service was just established, people should (hopefully) understand that there will generally be noise if one lives next to rail road tracks!

People buy houses next to airport runways; and then complain about the noise. So we find pilots now doing stunts that would make a fighter pilot proud, like throttling back their power seconds after leaving the runway and making sharp turns all to prevent someone from hearing too much noise. I don't recall if that's O'Hare or Midway in Chicago where they have to perform that nonsense, but regardless it's a dance that pilots should never have to do!

And we spend billions in this country erecting sound barriers alongside highways because someone brought a house without considering how loud the highway would be. :rolleyes:

So I'm not at all surprised that people buying a house next to a train track never consider the noise associated with it. And then of course it becomes a problem that someone else should solve for them, as it couldn't be their poor decision that caused the issue.
Another example of "airport acrobatics" is Washington National Airport. Due to the restricted airspace over DC and the Pentagon, aircraft must do much twists and turns and follow the Potomac River when taking off or landing on the north. And that runway is in line with some of the restricted airspace immediately before landing or takeoff! :eek:
River Visual is one of the most awesome approaches you can fly.

I believe there is one automatic feature.....when the engineer blows the horn, I believe the locomotive bell will also start ringing for some interval, not sure just how long.....
Until they hit the bell off button.

These patterns were also originally developed to help reduce the impact of jet noise from DCA on the surrounding area. DCA was built before the age commercial jet aircraft. The first commercial jets were much louder than today's and when they started flying into DCA it made living under the approach and takeoff lanes rather unpleasant. I know this because I grew up listening to one very loud jet after another fly over our house.

River Visual is one of the most awesome approaches you can fly.
The old Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong was famous for the degree of difficulty for landing & take-off.

You had a mountain at one end and the harbor at the other end. In between there were high rise

apartment buildings.

I am traveling on the LSL at this very minute and it is indeed the two longs, a short and a long at each crossing, unless in some instances there is not enough time between crossings, then he is doing continual longs and shorts until he is past the close crossings.

All of the automatic horns at crossing have lighted boxes facing the tracks with a red X on them. If the red X is flashing, the engineer knows the system at that crossing is working properly. If it isn't flashing that indixates a malfunction and by rule you are supposed to blow the crossing with the locomotive horn.

Yep, the ditchlights will activate *flash* when the horn is sounded, and the bell will ring as well. They also have a separate bell button. I've heard it on the Pac-Surf vids I've seen on Youtube, they will start ringing the bell as they take off.
I do know that bells must be rung during train movement when pulling into, through, or from a station.

The old Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong was famous for the degree of difficulty for landing & take-off.

You had a mountain at one end and the harbor at the other end. In between there were high rise

apartment buildings.
And the prevailing wind was usually in the direction that required landing from the mountain side. This meant using the famous "Checkerboard Approach", which consisted of aiming the plane towards a checkerboard pattern painted on the mountain near the end of the runway, essentially flying perpendicular to the runway while descending, and then almost at the last moment making a steep right angle turn over Kowloon houses to line up with the runway and land. If you had a right hand side window seat, like I did many times, you could literally look into people's living rooms it was so close. And this was regularly carried out by huge 747s one after another, landing at Hong kong Kai Tak.

I believe that the ditch lights and bell ONLY go off after a manual command from the engineer.
The control desk has two buttons on it (well more than 2, but 2 important ones for this conversation), one labeled "Horn" and the other labeled "Bell".
When you hit the horn, the horn goes, the ditch lights flash and the bell rings for a short period of time.

"Bell" gets you just the ditch lights and bell.

They also do it to the south, but its more subtle.

Back on the horn thing, I live near a series of grade crossings (like...five or six in the span of a half mile) and it sounds like they just lay on the horn as long as they want to without any real pattern.

With a horn on your car like the one in the video, one could scare the (blank)out of other drivers on the road!!
This is true. Unfortunately there are several jerks on youtube who take pride in posting videos of people they have scared with their horn. :angry2:

So I'm not at all surprised that people buying a house next to a train track never consider the noise associated with it.
The pilot pulling back the power and banking sharply just after takeoff is called a "Noise Abatement Procedure" and has been used for decades at many airports around the world. That and the issue of neighborhoods springing up around long established airports, then the residents complaining about noise were both mentioned in the 1968 novel Airport by Arthur Hailey (Don't remember if these events made it into the movie)

As for railroads, I don't think I could handle living next to a grade crossing that trains blow for in the middle of the night. I've heard you can get used to it, and that people get used to living right next to and level with the elevated tracks in NYC or Chicago, but I don't think I ever could.

However, 2 of my favorite places I lived in the past were both near Amtrak routes:

The first was in a place on a hill that overlooked the 10 freeway East of downtown LA where the tracks run in the median...Many nights I would be out on the balcony with the freeway traffic a wash of white noise, knowing the scheduled departure time. A low throated rumble could be heard over this noise that got gradually louder until the rumble was revealed to be the sweet sound of a pair of GE P30CHs tugging the short string of Superliners that made up the Sunset Limited.

The Second was near the Eugene Yard where it has a slight bend in the middle. I had a clear view of the yard across a couple hundred yards of a large field and a road. The main is welded rail there, but there is one joint that was audible when trains rolled over it, must be for signal insulation between blocks. Both the twice a day Starlight and the 4x a day Cascades trains were very distinct in sound after the locomotive noise had faded and you could hear the car wheels rolling over the joint....clickity clack clickity clack for the Starlight and clack, clack, clack for the Talgos followed by the clickity clack of the NPCU if it was trailing. The passenger trains were noticeably lighter sounding than the run-through freights that passed. The Eugene Yard is lightly used by freights now, but occasionally there would be a freight that would start out from a dead stop in that part of the yard and it was music to the ears to hear that slack action going left to right or right to left across that field as the train got moving.

Thankfully neither of these places was near a grade crossing so I never heard train whistles except the occasional short toot-toot startup signal from a freight about to move.

The place I live now is at least a couple miles from the nearest tracks and grade crossing. Sometimes in the still of the wee hours of the night when the city is sleeping, I can clearly hear the faint roar of locomotives notched up and the whistle blowing for crossings even across that distance when I am indoors with the windows closed. When the city wakes up, I can't hear them at all even if I'm outside.

One thing I find interesting though. I've watched train vids from around the world and many other countries don't seem to use the train whistle at all for crossings, even where there is no crossing arms or gates. There seem to be few if any crossing accidents like we have here in the US, or perhaps we just don't hear about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or people in other countries are smart enough not to drive in front of a moving train.
Or stop on tracks. The other day I saw two cars that I believe would have been hit, even if they were not directly on the track, if a freight train came at that moment. They were stopped because of a stopped garbage truck on the other side of the track. I'm not even sure they could see what the hold up was because I think there was a big truck in front of them. From one direction, the engineer would not even see them till he was almost at the crossing as he would be coming around a curve and have a building blocking his line of sight. Cars have been hit at this crossing in the past. Actually it's two crossings right next to each other as the road splits there.

Does the W sign with another sign with "MX" under it mean "multiple crossings"? I see that along the tracks near my house, as the train passes several intersections within just a few blocks. The train whistle blows pretty much constantly along that stretch.

Also, it's probably just my imagination, but when the Wolverine(s) are late and don't arrive until after 10:00 PM, the horn seems quieter. Do they have "quiet hours"?

I like hearing the horn. I'm used to it by now, and it lets me know (roughly) what time it is. When I hear the two Wolverines between 9:00 and 10:00 PM, I know it's getting late and I need to think about heading to bed. ;) They usually pass within 15-20 minutes of each other, so the first train is the warning, and the second train is "GO TO BED".

Does the W sign with another sign with "MX" under it mean "multiple crossings"?
Yes ma'am!

Gold star for you!

etoile_yellow_gold_star.png

Back