Trains, No Planes and No Automobiles Summer Vacation 2008

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Have put together a trip that my girlfriend (Brenda) and her two teenage daughters ages 16 and 18 will be taking. We depart on the CZ from LNK on Wednesday June 25th, we will then take the CZ into CHI and then later that evening take the LSL to NYC arriving in NYC June 26th in the evening. I have never ridden Amfleet equipment or the Viewliners. We will have at least one carryon and one personal bag per person. 1. Is there enough room in the Viewliner Roomettes for a total of 2 carryon's and 2 personal bags? Three of the four personal bags are purses. My bag is packed with train stuff such as earplugs, binoculars, Windex, Cloths for the Windex, small flashlights, books and snacks...pretty much the stuff you all have trained me to pack for optimal train experience. 2. We will arrive in CHI with some time to kill, will leave our carryons in the Metropolitan Lounge, what time do we need to be back at the Metropolitan Lounge to recieve "early boarding" since we are in sleepers? We don't really eat cheese nor are we drinkers, so whats the latest we can get back and still kinda feel like we are "special"? (the teens will like that, I could care less) :angry: 3. We will depart WAS on July 4th around 4:05pm on the Capital Limited. Is there a particular time we should be at WUS and the Metropolitan Lounge? Is there any "special" things there that are worth the time since we are "First Class". (sorry folks, I'm working class and punk rock, so having someone **** my *** isn't important at all, but the teenagers will get a kick out of it). Just looking for info especially on Viewliner Roomettes. I have never been in one and so I have no clue on what to pack. On every single trip on Amtrak I have NEVER checked any luggage. I hardly check luggage on flights and hate doing it. Will we need to check bags with the size of the Viewliner Roomettes? Thanks!

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally do not hesitate checking luggage with Amtrak (and most will agree). Amtrak rarely loses a bag, they are very good at what they do. The Viewliner roomettes have about the same amount of storage space as a Superliner. There is an extra little cubby up near the top bunk as I recall (been almost three years since a true Viewliner trip for me), so if anything they have more room than a Superliner.

In DC you will be looking for Club Acela (not Metropolitan Lounge). The amenities are about the same as Metropolitan Lounge, comfy chairs, complimentary non-alcoholic drinks, small snacks. I personally would check with the agent when you check in for their recommended return time. Be there no later than 30 minutes prior to departure, if not an hour.

Have put together a trip that my girlfriend (Brenda) and her two teenage daughters ages 16 and 18 will be taking. We depart on the CZ from LNK on Wednesday June 25th, we will then take the CZ into CHI and then later that evening take the LSL to NYC arriving in NYC June 26th in the evening. I have never ridden Amfleet equipment or the Viewliners. We will have at least one carryon and one personal bag per person. 1. Is there enough room in the Viewliner Roomettes for a total of 2 carryon's and 2 personal bags? Three of the four personal bags are purses. My bag is packed with train stuff such as earplugs, binoculars, Windex, Cloths for the Windex, small flashlights, books and snacks...pretty much the stuff you all have trained me to pack for optimal train experience. 2. We will arrive in CHI with some time to kill, will leave our carryons in the Metropolitan Lounge, what time do we need to be back at the Metropolitan Lounge to recieve "early boarding" since we are in sleepers? We don't really eat cheese nor are we drinkers, so whats the latest we can get back and still kinda feel like we are "special"? (the teens will like that, I could care less) :angry: 3. We will depart WAS on July 4th around 4:05pm on the Capital Limited. Is there a particular time we should be at WUS and the Metropolitan Lounge? Is there any "special" things there that are worth the time since we are "First Class". (sorry folks, I'm working class and punk rock, so having someone **** my *** isn't important at all, but the teenagers will get a kick out of it). Just looking for info especially on Viewliner Roomettes. I have never been in one and so I have no clue on what to pack. On every single trip on Amtrak I have NEVER checked any luggage. I hardly check luggage on flights and hate doing it. Will we need to check bags with the size of the Viewliner Roomettes? Thanks!
Al
Sounds like a fun trip Al. :) I don't know if there is enough space in 1 roomette for 4 bags... that would sorta be stretching it. I think you could get 4 bags in 2 roomettes pretty easily. There is a space above the door in each Viewliner that you can put your bags in -- but definetly not big enough for 4 bags in my opinion (I've only rode the Viewliners once). I would be back in the Metropolitan Lounge around 7:30PM. I think they board sleeping car pasengers around 8PM. But just check with the nice folks at the desk in Chicago (they know all me by name now... hahaha). I would get to Washington Union Station around 3:00PM. The Club Acela is nice (a little nicer than the Metropolitan Lounge). There is a mini-mall inside the station, so your teens and gf might like that -- in that case, get there earlier than 3PM. There's also a decent food court (I like the Sbarro's myself!) Free snacks and soads in the lounges.

I cant give you advice about checking luggage on Amtrak --- Ive never done it myself either. I usually get a roomette and travel alone so there's usually room for the bags in the room --- or I'll usually pack 2 suitcases --- one big one which will have everything I need it in for AFTER I arrive at my destination and a small one for the 2 or 3 days I'll be on the train and then I keep that in my room.

Just remember don't get screwed over by the fact Viewliners don't really have that nice "downstairs" area you can store your bags like you have on the Superliners --- it's either in you room or checked. (part of the reason why I sorta prefer going west on Amtrak along with the fact you get 2-3 days on the train from CHI instead of just 1)

Al,

The rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. If I had two of those bags, I could just barely fit both of them side by side in the cubbyhole above the hall. The same sized bag can also fit underneath your seats. One bag could be a little wider than mine by maybe an inch or two, the other I’d say could be approximately 5 or 6 inches wider. They could not be much taller or thicker and still fit underneath the seats. There is also room for a shoulder bag next to the larger of the two seats. If you need anything more than that, then I would recommend checking some luggage and letting it go into the baggage car. Your car attendant will try to accommodate larger bags, but it is very difficult for him to do so. He usually has to store them in the shower room, and in the vestibule of the car. This means that he has to keep moving them around as people enter and exit the train at stations, or if someone wants to take a shower.

That should give you some idea of what to expect, and since you've got two roomettes you get to double the above. It sounds to me though like you shouldn't have any problems. Purses, as long as they aren't suitcase sized, can sit on the little shelf area to the side of the larger seat. You'll find that the Viewliner rooms actually have more room than the Superliner roomettes.

I definately recommend returning to the lounge by 7:30, although they'll actually write the time that you must be back to the lounge on your day pass for the Metro Lounge. Even if you don't drink wine, or eat cheese, head to the party in the Diner-Lite car. They also serve non-alcoholic cider that I understand is quite good, at least from comments that I heard. I didn't try it personally. And they also serve crackers too, so it could provide a bit of a bedtime snack. Plus it's still a great way to socialize with your fellow pax.

As for DC, I'd suggest that we get to the lounge by 3:00 PM at the latest. They usually start to board pax out of the lounge by 3:30 or so.

For what it's worth, me and my travelling buddy this summer both brought a average size rolling suitcase, he brought a backpack, and I brought I laptop bag. We were fine in the viewliners and actually he was greatly disapointed when I told him that we didnt have space in our room for the luggage when we got on the Capitol (we had previously rode the Crescent North and the LSL West, returned on the Capitol.) Even though I was expecting the change (he had never ridden on superliner equipment) I had to agree with him I had gotten used to being able to pull a charger, or whatever from my bag.

In the viewliner, we stored both larger bags in the overhead space. He stored his backpack on the toilet/shelf/step, and I stored my computer bag on the smaller shelf besides me. This was actually quite comfortable, and it was easy enough to slide one bag out enough to get to anything I needed.

I personally much prefer the viewliner sleepers to the superliners, even though the refurbished superliners are very very nice, and everything is new and feels luxorious. The viewliners are still designed by true experts in train travel.

I personally much prefer the viewliner sleepers to the superliners, even though the refurbished superliners are very very nice, and everything is new and feels luxorious. The viewliners are still designed by true experts in train travel.
Except for the (open) placement of the toilet in the Viewliner roomette, so do I! At least the person in the upper bunk has a window to look out of - instead of just seeing the roof/wall all night!

Except for the (open) placement of the toilet in the Viewliner roomette, so do I! At least the person in the upper bunk has a window to look out of - instead of just seeing the roof/wall all night!
Oh yea... there is that. Haha. They need to take the shower out and replace it with a toilet in my opinion. The viewliner trains never go more than one night, and really, there needs to be a restroom in that car. Walking through the second sleeper, the diner, and into the lounge (which is usually the filthiest bathroom on the train sooo...) and into a coach at 3 AM is not my favorite pass-time. Course, in reality its not that much worse than going downstairs (I hate to use the upstairs one since its right next to a room). Ah.. to afford a Deluxe room! :)

Yes I like to check a bag when it is possible on Amtrak. I just don't want to worry about it enroute. And Al, sorry I keep forgetting to write you back. I'll be around so let me know. I'll even try and get those days off to show you the subway and such and meet for coffee or a meal. Everyone has covered the Viewliners so I won't chime in on that.

Al,

I used checked baggage last summer when I did EB -> LSL to Boston which was two luggage transfers for Amtrak to do (Chicago, and Albany). I didn't have any problem with it. I had a small rolling backpack with enough to get me by for two days along with my camera case in the roomette with me.. Alone this was not a problem and even had another person with me the cubby would have been fine had it been the same amount.

If you're comfortable with it, I'd consider checking some of it. It does make it a little easier IMHO.

Have a great trip! Can't wait to read about it! :)

Al, it sounds like you have a fantastic trip planned. I hope you plan on sharing your experience on the rails. I'd be interested in reading it.

Here's a hypothetical 'what if' for the Amtrak veteran riders out there.....What if you booked a roomette and discovered that you could not stow all your luggage or, if you're departing from a station that does not offer checked baggage service (such as Indianapolis :angry: ) will the car attendant be able to check your bag for you and put it in the baggage car?

Al, it sounds like you have a fantastic trip planned. I hope you plan on sharing your experience on the rails. I'd be interested in reading it.
Here's a hypothetical 'what if' for the Amtrak veteran riders out there.....What if you booked a roomette and discovered that you could not stow all your luggage or, if you're departing from a station that does not offer checked baggage service (such as Indianapolis :angry: ) will the car attendant be able to check your bag for you and put it in the baggage car?
Well,

I have seen the Attendants put extra luggage into the shower room and actually fill it up. Makes it kind of hard to take a shower the next day. You then get that "what am I supposed to do" look when you ask to use the shower. :huh:

Al,

We checked 12 bags(camping on beach) at Oceanside, Ca and next time we saw them was in Omaha. We checked them on the Surfliner, at Oceanside. We transfered to the Coast Starlight at LA, spent the night in Emeryville, and caught the CZ the next day. No problems.....(except trying to get 4 people, 12 checked bags, 4 carry-on bags home from the Amtrak station).

Well,

I have seen the Attendants put extra luggage into the shower room and actually fill it up. Makes it kind of hard to take a shower the next day. You then get that "what am I supposed to do" look when you ask to use the shower. :huh:
I've also seen them leave the bags in the vestibule too, although that too is problimatic since they have to keep moving them from one side to the other depending on which side the next station stop is on.

To answer Jim's specific question though, no, the attendant cannot check your bag and put it in the baggage car.

I was going to a convention in Toronto in 2005 (none of us had fezes though) and it was the "trip from ****". :angry: It had to do with transportation issues (airlines) and the $300 per night room I was paying for to be near the convention that was way overpriced and poorly managed. It was that trip that made me seek out a "different" way of travelling. My family started laughing when they heard of problem after problem after problem and finally said, "Al, you've had your very own Planes, Trains and Automobiles." :huh: The swanky room I booked was only booked so I could be near the convention sight. It was also the hotel debacle that made me look into hostelling. Realizing I had been paying $300 per night to lay down and shut my eyelids. I was in the room to sleep and shower and that was it. $1400 (with taxes) later, I felt like what Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols said at the end of there last concert in '78.............."do you have the feeling you've been cheated? Good night!" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back