Trans-Dorm Configuration

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manchacrr

Lead Service Attendant
I am traveling in room 19, car 5909, on the CONO from CHI-HMD on March 31. I know that this room is in the trans-dorm. Is there any place that has a diagram of the trans-dorm? Where in the trans-dorm is this room?

I am traveling in room 19, car 5909, on the CONO from CHI-HMD on March 31. I know that this room is in the trans-dorm. Is there any place that has a diagram of the trans-dorm? Where in the trans-dorm is this room?
I've only explored a trans-dorm car once but never stayed in one. The one that I explored had about 20 roomettes and no bedrooms. Are you sure that you have a bedroom? The trans dorm did not seem as well maintained as the standard sleeper coaches as the crew stays in them. Judging from the room number I would guess that you may be near one end of the car.

Room #19 will be the first roomette on the left after walking into the Trans/Dorm. Depending on which variation of the Trans/Dorm you get, there will most likely be an office on your left immediately after walking into the car and the bathroom/shower will on your right. Next on the right is room #18 and as already mentioned, your room would be opposite that on the left.

The Trans/Dorm is always the first passenger car on the train, behind the baggage car if there is one. So you would have to walk through the regular sleeper to reach the Trans/Dorm as well as the rest of the train.

There used to be a online diagram, but the last time I tired the link it was broken.

Here you go...

transdorm-upper.jpg

transdorm-lower.jpg

Course, this is the version with the H room.

I was in Roomette #19 last year either on the Texas Eagle or California Zephyr.

I liked it and the bathroom had a shower inside. I'd take that room any day!!

Why is the 15 highlighted?
Steve
Its an office.
IIRC the office is down on the "low end" right next to rooms 7 and 8 with the door being right before the stairwell.

In the downstairs are with the booths on the 39000-39002 there are six booths rather than having the captains chairs. All three cars are allocated to Auto Train.

Why is the 15 highlighted?
Steve
Its an office.
IIRC the office is down on the "low end" right next to rooms 7 and 8 with the door being right before the stairwell.

In the downstairs are with the booths on the 39000-39002 there are six booths rather than having the captains chairs. All three cars are allocated to Auto Train.
15 is indeed an office, in my few trips in the dorm, I've not seen it used as such. The conductors usually setup downstairs where they can be together and have more room. Frankly all I've ever seen in 15 is dirty linen and sometimes supplies like the bottled water handed out by the attendants.

Are passengers allowed downstairs at all?
When I've been in the transdorm, I've wandered down there. There was nobody to stop me, but on the other hand there was no sign saying "Passengers Stay Upstairs."
Actually it depends on a couple of things.

First, if you get one of the few cars that does not have an H-room downstairs, then passengers are always allowed downstairs, as that's where the showers are.

Second, if you do get one of the cars that do have the H-room, then passengers are discouraged from being downstairs. However, if the H-room is in use, then obviously passengers have to be allowed downstairs.

... , then passengers are always allowed downstairs, as that's where the showers are.
Oh, I thought the small "room" off each of the two toilets upstairs, was a shower???
It depends on which configuration of the Trans/Dorm you get. If you get the one pictured above, then yes the toilet you see opposite room 15 does indeed have a shower off to the left in that picture. It's the side that has no door to the hallway.

However, if you get the Trans/Dorm configuration that has no H-room downstairs, then that bathroom/shower combo shown in the above picture does not exist. Both the bathroom and the shower are missing in that configuration. It's been a while since I was in that car, but IIRC, they are replaced with roomette #16.

I haven't been in any of the Superliner transdorm configurations, but I've enjoyed many trips between Denver and Chicago in the old Hi-level transdorm-coaches. Are any of those still in operation?

What are the 2 red lines showing?
Mahalo

Eric
These are scans from a Superliner safety card. I cannot seem to find it right now to see what those red lines are, but I am sure they are pointing out some safety feature. Perhaps locations of fire extinguishers?

I haven't been in any of the Superliner transdorm configurations, but I've enjoyed many trips between Denver and Chicago in the old Hi-level transdorm-coaches. Are any of those still in operation?
Not with Amtrak, no. Not sure if they're running anywhere else (I doubt it).
IINM the Heartland Flyer has a couple of these old coaches that they use on the OKC-FTW run. I was on the TE to CHI when we deadheaded a couple of them going North to be rehabbed according to the OBS on my train?? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not with Amtrak, no. Not sure if they're running anywhere else (I doubt it).
IINM the Heartland Flyer has a couple of these old coaches that they use on the OKC-FTW run. I was on the TE to CHI when we deadheaded a couple of them going North to be rehabbed according to the OBS on my train?? :unsure:
Do you mean Hi-level coaches or Hi-level transdorms? I'm guessing coach since what need would the Flyer have for a transdorm?

Yeah, they were coaches, I was responding to Amtrakwolverines post about PPCs on the CS being the only Hi-Level cars left on Amtrak, sorry for the confusion, I havent been on a train in over a week! :blink: ;) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back