Trans-Dorm Configuration

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they were coaches, I was responding to Amtrakwolverines post about PPCs on the CS being the only Hi-Level cars left on Amtrak, sorry for the confusion, I havent been on a train in over a week! :blink: ;) :lol:
No problem. I would enjoy riding those also, especially if they still have the original Karpen seats in them.

I haven't been on a train for a whole lot longer....maybe 10 years. :(

unless you count the"E" Train, that is.... :lol:

Yeah, they were coaches, I was responding to Amtrakwolverines post about PPCs on the CS being the only Hi-Level cars left on Amtrak, sorry for the confusion, I havent been on a train in over a week! :blink: ;) :lol:
They were retired some time ago, although the why of it eludes me. I'm pretty sure they were re-equipped with retention tanks. Perhaps they wore out.

They were retired some time ago, although the why of it eludes me. I'm pretty sure they were re-equipped with retention tanks. Perhaps they wore out.
Correct, they were retired in 2007. I don't recall whey they were stricken from the roster, but I suspect that it had more to do with the fact that it was just one more odd car in the shop that had no special purpose that couldn't already be provided via the Superliner equipment coupled with their age and the ability to get parts for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not like Amtrak has an overabundance of Superliner coaches.
That's for sure. And with their durable Budd construction, the Hi-Levels could last for a long time to come with minimal maintenance. And for a fraction of the cost of new cars, could be totally modernized with current components.

And with their durable Budd construction, the Hi-Levels could last for a long time to come with minimal maintenance. And for a fraction of the cost of new cars, could be totally modernized with current components.
I am retired from Amtrak with 36 years in the mechanical department and let me tell you from experience that the Ex SF Hi-level were maintenance head aches in many ways. Add to that the fact that the parts to repair these cars were very rare to come by. If they were airplanes they would be called "Hanger Queens".

:eek: :angry: :eek:

And with their durable Budd construction, the Hi-Levels could last for a long time to come with minimal maintenance. And for a fraction of the cost of new cars, could be totally modernized with current components.
I am retired from Amtrak with 36 years in the mechanical department and let me tell you from experience that the Ex SF Hi-level were maintenance head aches in many ways. Add to that the fact that the parts to repair these cars were very rare to come by. If they were airplanes they would be called "Hanger Queens".

:eek: :angry: :eek:
I am surprised to hear that. Obviously you must know a lot more about these cars than I do. I thought that when they were converted to head-end power, and had their 'enginators' removed, they were pretty reliable. Their stainless steel construction looked pretty solid.

What were the issues with these cars?

As for rare parts.....I would think that the kind of parts that wear out could be replaced by entirely modernized components that are readily available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back