Transfer in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jheilman43402

Train Attendant
My wife and i will be taking the CL out of toledo then on to SFC on the CZ after Chicago the end of june. How is luggage handled when we change trains. will they hold it and reload it for us or will we have to collect it and then recheck it on the CZ. We are coach from Toledo to Chicago then have a roomette the rest of the way. We will be gone for almost 3 weeks and will have a lot of luggage 2 checked per user plus our carry-ons. I have been a lurker on this site since i purchased the tickets last August, and have learned a lot, but am still unsure of this part. Thank you for your help

Since TOL and SFC both offer checked baggage service, your checked luggage will be automatically transferred and be available at your destination.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do they handle Guitars. should i check it or carry-on i am afraid to check as it is a little fragile

Thank you for your help i will do a little searching. i seem to remember a thread a few months ago with guitars in it

I sat on a throughway bus at LAX on national train day a few years back, and watched the baggage staff compete to throw cases onto an adjacent bus as violently as possible... They were not aware that my bus had boarded and they could be seen... I would not check anything remotely delicate!

Ed :cool:

I would check any reasonable luggage from TOL right to SFC. All transfers will be made by Amtrak between trains/bus.

As for the guitar, I would carry it on. If others in the Sightseer Lounge agree, you may even have a jam session! I have seen some on occasion, and it added a nice touch to a nice trip!
cool.gif
(I would not just start playing, I would ask others if they would mind - I bet most would say no problem!)

you can store your carry on bags in the Metropolitan lounge in CHI as well since you'll have a sleeper on the CZ.....just don't forget to tip the redcap/luggage room attendant...enjoy the trip

How do they handle Guitars. should i check it or carry-on i am afraid to check as it is a little fragile
I don't know for sure, but if it were me, I believe I would carry it on unless it is in a durable hard case. Perhaps someone with actual experience in this will chime in?
I've never heard a guitar chime...but again, I've never heard a chime strum either!! :giggle:

I would check any reasonable luggage from TOL right to SFC. All transfers will be made by Amtrak between trains/bus.

As for the guitar, I would carry it on. If others in the Sightseer Lounge agree, you may even have a jam session! I have seen some on occasion, and it added a nice touch to a nice trip!
cool.gif
(I would not just start playing, I would ask others if they would mind - I bet most would say no problem!)
I dunno. Maybe you'd want to audition him first?? It's a long trip out west!!

While I wouldn't want hear hard rock played, I think many passengers would appreciate hearing some soothing playing. And others may even join in - either singing or playing! :) Remember that a train is a community on wheels!

Yes, it is a long way out west. That's why some may enjoy hearing some lite music playing at times! :D

I am still learning i only play acoustic nylon string all folk and some stuff by the eagles, or the like. THank you all for your answers i will do carry on with it. just hope there is a place to store it in the sleeper

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back