Travel advice wanted. New to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone. I am thinking about going to St Cloud MN from Cleveland Ohio. I would be taking 49 Lake Shore Limited with a 4-5 hr wait in Chicago then 27 Empire Builder. The wait in Chicago might give me a few hrs to take a cab to the American Girl store in Chicago to get my daughter a new doll she wants for her Christmas gift. Any advice on these 2 trains and Chicago would be nice. I have never traveled this way. Some what cheaper but a lot longer travel time. Thanks

John from Cleveland.

I'll make a few comments regarding both trains. In some ways, this pair of trains can be complete opposites of one another. The Builder had all double deck cars, while # 49 has only single level cars. The Builder is one of the most punctual trains (usually) in the Network, while #49 tends to be hit-or-miss. This is due in part to the landlord frieght RRs over which Amtrak's trains travel. The landlords over the Builder's route, Canadian Pacific RR and, west of Saint Paul, Burlington Northern, have had decent relationships with Amtrak. Norfolk Southern, OTOH, is indifferent to Amtrak's presence on their track. Simply put, if Amtrak wanted to Norfolk Southern to make the passenger trains a priority, then Amtrak should offer higher financial compensation in return for access to NS's track. In other words, NS's attitude is that if Amtrak wants to be a higher priority, then Amtrak should offer higher rent payments or some other form of incentive in order to make the effort at punctuality worth the landlord's energy and time. Of course, Amtrak has nevr really had the funding available to do this, so we are in the current situation. NS is a profit driven company. If you want their attention, you have to name the right amount of money.

Also, many of the freight RRs have to pay for all of their own track maintenace and track capacity expansion. This is different than the highways or airports, which are supported via taxpayer funds. What this means is that Amtrak's timeliness and punctuality can depend upon the individual route, the landlord, and the landlord's maintenance budget. Just like highways can have reduced-speed zones for maintenance, so can RRs. It is important to enter this experience with a positive mental attitude, where you are going to make the best of the situation no matter what happens. I've taken this particular route on numerous occasions when I've travelled from Saint Cloud to D.C., and some of the ways that the landlord RRs treat Amtrak are as different as night and day. BN and CP RR's will get Amtrak over the rails in a reasonable fashion, while NS seems to be indifferent. I'm a bit more partial to taking # 29 & 30 vs #49.

I digress, however.

One sight that should be seen, provided that you have the time, is the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. The Field Museum is another must-see. The Field Museum is within walking distance, while the Science and Industry Museum will require a taxi ride. You'll certqainly have the opportunity to see the US at "see" level. Once you arrive in la Crosse, WI, you'll take the route adjacent to the Mississippi River. some board members find this to be picturesque. The train arrives in Saint Cloud after midnight, and the local Yellow Cab Co. can be reached at 800.450.8294. It really is a nice trip, and much more relaxing than either driving or flying.

WICT106 said:
I'll make a few comments regarding both trains.
<snip>

It is important to enter this experience with a positive mental attitude, where you are going to make the best of the situation no matter what happens.  I've taken this particular route on numerous occasions when I've travelled from Saint Cloud to D.C., and some of the ways that the landlord RRs treat Amtrak are as different as night and day.  BN and CP RR's will get Amtrak over the rails in a reasonable fashion, while NS seems to be indifferent.  I'm a bit more partial to taking # 29 & 30 vs #49.    
I'd agree with pretty much all that was said in the quoted post. Especially about taking #29 & 30 -- the Capitol Limited over the Lake Shore Limited. The Capitol Limited has Amtrak's hi-level Superliner cars, which I found to have the best ride out of any I've taken with Amtrak. I'd recommend them even with #29 & 30's balky timekeeping, which has been documented for the month of August in another topic on this forum.

Amtrak service is not quite an oxymoron; but it can be downright quirky at times. Expect your train to be late. Expect the service to be somewhat indifferent. Amtrak then tends to pleasantly surprise you by actually running on time, and providing you with quality on-train service. In any event, you will remember an Amtrak train trip much longer than you remember any plane flight you take.

I'll put it another way. Expect nothing. That way, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the replys. I have never taken a train before and it looks interesting. Its big downside is that it eats a day to MN and a day back to Cleveland. Flying is cheaper. But flying is boring stuck in a seat.

Back