Travel Planners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Fan_Trains

I just call Amtrak two days ago to order an another amtrak travel planner, and I was told by a agent that they don't have any more. how come they don't have any more amtrak travel planners?

Most likely because they are expensive to produce and anything that's in the travel planner can be found on their website.

Guest_Fan_Trains said:
I just call Amtrak two days ago to order an another amtrak travel planner, and I was told by a agent that they don't have any more. how come they don't have any more amtrak travel planners?
For what it's worth you may try checking in a couple of staffed stations to see if they may have any travel planners. Some station agents put them out where you can pick one up yourself, and other stations keep them behind the ticket window. I still see them on occasion. They usually print new ones in time for the spring time change to the best of my memory. OBS...

One of the many cost cutting measures by Gunn was the discontiunance (is that a word?) of the Annual Travel Planner. The last batch was printed without a year so people couldn't say it was "out of date."

battalion51 said:
One of the many cost cutting measures by Gunn was the discontiunance (is that a word?) of the Annual Travel Planner. The last batch was printed without a year so people couldn't say it was "out of date."
Yeah, I just noticed that on this copy I have here! There is no date on it what-so-ever. So I stand corrected on the "printing of new ones" part. Still check with some of the staffed stations as there may be a few laying around.

I don't know about "discontinuance," but I do know "discontinued" is definitely a word!!! And they still both have the same meaning for the most part!!! LOL... OBS...

Could the lack of a new travel planner be linked to the demise of Amtrak Vacations?

Or, maybe that would actually be a motivation to update the travel planner.

rmadisonwi said:
Could the lack of a new travel planner be linked to the demise of Amtrak Vacations?
Or, maybe that would actually be a motivation to update the travel planner.
I think it is a mixture of both. The last travel planner I looked at, had a few inacurcies in it. The map in the opening cover showed some VIA services which were shutdown down a year before.

The Travel Planner was discontinued a year ago, based on the excessive cost to print and distribute. It will not be reprinted. The National Timetables contain basically the same information and are much more accurate, since they are reprinted to coincide with the spring and fall schedule changes.

The closure of the tour wholesaler who provided the Amtrak Vacations product has also caused the temporary cancellation of the Atmtrak Vacations brochure. An RFP has been sent to major tour wholesalers nationwide, who will respond if they are interested in being the Amtak Vacations provider.

I would not put too much stock in the information found in any of the old Travel Planners, since schedules have changed and much of the tour product in them does not exist at this time.

Back