traveling alone in coach seating

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kay

Has anyone traveled alone in coach seat on a long trip with 2 overnights (from Minnesota to Oregon for me)? I have no idea what to expect. Where do you put your carry-ons? I can't even think of all the questions I need to ask. Sitting next to a stranger and sleeping "with" him/her is a little scary to me. Maybe for them, too. :) Any advice? I need to know everything to feel more comfortable about this. Thanks in advance.

It's an experience, good or bad, depending on your companion's personal hygiene and personality. I've had some wonderful trips where I got to talking with my companion and we found out we had mutual interests, and they ended up as buds for the trip. I also had one trip where I was next to a guy who smelled like he'd bathed in aftershave lotion five minutes ago. My advice is to see how it works, but if things don't feel right, then talk to the conductor and see about moving.

As for luggage and stuff, you're in luck. There's a large luggage rack in the lower level of the coach where you can put suitcases. Above the seats is a large rack that will hold most carryons without any issue. I've never seen the top racks overfilled to the point there isn't room for more. Restrooms are in the lower level, and are private rooms (small but private - can get dressed, wash up, or address other needs in relative solitude).

Another thing is there is a lounge car, so if you start feeling claustrophobic in the coach, take a good book and wander to the lounge car. The top level is a mix with some table seating and individual seats / couches facing out.

My advice is to bring a good book(s), MP3 player, etc, so you can relax that way. Plus enjoy the scenery - the route you're taking is really neat looking. Amtrak has route guides on the trains which will tell you the highlights of the trip - if you don't have one by your seat, ask a train crewperson.

Hope you have a wonderful trip, just relax and don't be afraid to ask a crewmember if you have any questions.

Has anyone traveled alone in coach seat on a long trip with 2 overnights (from Minnesota to Oregon for me)? I have no idea what to expect. Where do you put your carry-ons? I can't even think of all the questions I need to ask. Sitting next to a stranger and sleeping "with" him/her is a little scary to me. Maybe for them, too. :) Any advice? I need to know everything to feel more comfortable about this. Thanks in advance.
I just got off that very route this week. On that route, I had a roomette but the next night I slept overnight in coach!

As far as sleeping next to a "stanger", you are not sharing a bed. Have you ever taken a red-eye flight? You sleep next to a "stranger", but train seats are MUCH bigger! I would not be at all concerned! And besides, there will also be 50-70 other people in that car!

As far as bags, there is a luggage rack on the lower level and a luggage rack above your seat (which is MUCH bigger than on a plane!)

It is no different than an overnight flight or overnight busride. You are going to have a neighbor and they may or may not be good. Depending on when you go you may get two seats to yourself if it is not busy. I don't usually travel by train in the peak season so the majority of my overnights in coach have had two seats to myself.

If you're lucky, you may not have a seatmate, at least not the entire trip, anyway. Also, if you don't like your seatmate for whatever reason, you can get up and move. The "proper" way to do it is to ask a coach attendant ro re-seat you, but in most cases, you can just grab your destination tag (above your seat) and move on your own. I've done it a few times to get away from loud conversations, screaming kids, seat kickers, etc. Most of the time, it's reasonably quiet, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as sleeping next to a "stanger", you are not sharing a bed. Have you ever taken a red-eye flight? You sleep next to a "stranger", but train seats are MUCH bigger! I would not be at all concerned! And besides, there will also be 50-70 other people in that car!
No offense traveler! But you are a man, of course you "would not be at all concerned!". It is good to remember that women have a different experience and point of view about sleeping next to a strange man. No, it's not a bed, but most beds that couples share are wider than two coach seats.

Anyway most likely you wouldn't be next to someone who would try to "cop a feel" or make you uncomfortable in other, more subtle ways, but for women, it would at least occur to them to wonder! Can't put someone down for having the thought cross their mind!

I can't say I find the idea of sleeping next to a strange man very appealing for any number of reasons. I have traveled alone a lot in my life but I can see why women sometimes prefer to travel as part of a couple. It's looking better to me as I get older.

Two nights sleeping in coach would be rough for some of us but everyones needs are different. If price is the only consideration then to save money by all means, coach is a good transportation means. Many people have no problem sleeping in a reclining chair. If you can spend about $170 extra you may be able to do an onboard upgrade to a roomette. Its quiet, private and has plenty of room for one but a little tight for two.

As for us, we always book a bedroom. Its a safe bet for us middle age folks that appreciate privacy, a bed for the evening and a private bathroom but they are the most expensive way to go.

Sorry for the reply posts with nothing in them. Still trying to figure out this forum. But anyway, thanks for everyone's help. I think I can manage this, especially with the lounge available to me, as Mike mentioned. I thought it was only for people who had rooms. Thanks everyone.

No offense traveler! But you are a man, of course you "would not be at all concerned!". It is good to remember that women have a different experience and point of view about sleeping next to a strange man.
You calling me "strange"? :huh:

I know and appreciate what you're saying, and I've had many "strange" women siting next to me too! But I still would not be too concerned. If you're on a plane in a middle seat, you may have 2 strange men on either side of you!

If you're at all concerned about your seatmate, you can request to move to another seat. ;)

Sorry for the reply posts with nothing in them. Still trying to figure out this forum. But anyway, thanks for everyone's help. I think I can manage this, especially with the lounge available to me, as Mike mentioned. I thought it was only for people who had rooms. Thanks everyone.
Kay, The lounge is available to all. You may want to keep checking amtrak.com for a lower price on a roomette. If you have flexibility in your travel dates, that can be to your advantage. Make sure you book your trip as soon as you can, as prices can go up as your date approaches! Sometimes you can get a good deal with an onboard upgrade. If you book a roomette or bedroom, all meals in the diner are included in the price, there will be coffee, juice, bottled water in the sleeper car for you & showers available.

This will also give you privacy, a flat place to sleep, & more of a sense of security. Only sleeper car passengers are allowed in the sleeper cars. Welcome to the board, and enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back