Traveling On the Crescent From ATL to Hartford

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Hello Everyone !

I'm going to be traveling next week on the Crescent from Atlanta to Hartford CT. I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on this trip.. And just had a few simple questions.

1. Do we make frequent stops for smoking ?
  2. I have read that people can bring there own drinks on the train but it is frowned upon, is this true ?
  3. According to the schedule are the trains usually on time to there destinations ?
  4. Are there drunks running around the train at all hours of the night ? Any Insight on Costs ?
  5. What times are food and drinks available ?
  6. Last and final question, If i board in Atlanta does the train usually have alot of space left, such as if i wanted a window seat with no one next to me what are the chances ?

Thank you so much everyone.. Any help with these questions would be great !!

Thanks,

Tim

Hello Everyone !
I'm going to be traveling next week on the Crescent from Atlanta to Hartford CT. I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on this trip.. And just had a few simple questions.

2. I have read that people can bring there own drinks on the train but it is frowned upon, is this true ?
  3. According to the schedule are the trains usually on time to there destinations ?
  4. Are there drunks running around the train at all hours of the night ? Any Insight on Costs ?
  6. Last and final question, If i board in Atlanta does the train usually have alot of space left, such as if i wanted a window seat with no one next to me what are the chances ?

Thanks,

Tim
1. Yes there will be various stops for smoking along the way. Just listen for the announcement from the conductor. Make sure if you do step off to remain right next to the train on the platform. If you wonder off into the station or across the street, you will probably be left behind. This happens quite often.

2. If you're riding in coach, you are welcome to bring any snacks or non-alcoholic beverages. This is not a problem at all, but you may only consume them at your seat. You won't be allowed to eat/drink your own food in the lounge or dining car.

3. As of late, Amtrak has had very good on-time performance. But this doesn't mean sometimes something can happen and it can run late. Just don't worry about the time and you'll be less stressed. If you miss your connection in New York for Hartford there are plenty of other train you can catch there. They will try and take care of you.

4. If a drunk is bothering someone on the train, they are taken off at the very next stop, almost always in handcuffs. If someone is bothering you, just let the car attendant or conductor know.

5. Food is generally available in the lounge car from 6 AM to 11 PM or so. They have snacks, sandwiches, and plenty of beverages. Beer and other adult beverages are also there. Keep in mind, a can of beer usually runs about $4.50 or even $5. I almost never buy alcohol on the train or else I'd be flat broke. :) There is also a full service dining car that serves meals during meal time. Usually dinner out of Atlanta is done by reservation, or you can just get on the waiting list. Breakfast and lunch is usually first come first served. Breakfast and lunch will run about $8 to $10. Dinner about $12 to over $20. And don't forget a tip.

6. I don't live in Atlanta, but I do hear that the train can fill up there for people going north. No guarantees on a seat by yourself. I'm not sure how they do boarding but hopefully you can get near the front of the line to at least get a window seat. That way you can lean your head against it to sleep. Someone else more familiar with ATL will help with that one.

Hope you have a fun trip!

Firstly, you won't get all the way to Hartford on the Crescent. It terminates in New York.

To answer some of your question:

1. Look at the schedule, which you can find on the Amtrak site if you don't have it already. With a few exceptions, stops are just long enough to discharge and board passengers. Charlotte is a little longer, as is Greensboro, both in the middle of the night. Charlottesville also. Washing will be a while because of changing locomotives.

2. Not frowned upon. Bring what you want. Strictly speaking alcohol is not allowed in coaches.

3. You can check on time averages on the Amtrak website. The Crescent is a pretty good timekeeper.

4. Any drunks will be dealt with by the crew, to the extreme of being put off if necessary. I don't understand the question about costs.

5. The diner is open at normal meal times. The lounge car more or less continuously except for the middle of the night when the attendant is sleeping.

6. Northbound from Atlanta is usually pretty full. Getting a window seat would be by chance. Not likely that you would have a solo pair.

1.Do we make frequent stops for smoking ?

YES THEY ARE CLT,CVS,AND WAS, AND FINAL STOP NYC

2.I have read that people can bring there own drinks on the train but it is frowned upon, is this true ?

ONLY IF U IN THE SLEEPER. NOT IN COACH

3.According to the schedule are the trains usually on time to there destinations ?

PRETTY MUCH BUT WITH ALL BAD WEATHER WE BEEN HAVING DOWN SOUTH..IT HARD TO SAY

4.Are there drunks running around the train at all hours of the night ? Any Insight on Costs ?

NO DRUNKS ARE EVEN ALLOW TO RUN AROUND. THEY RUN REAL TIGHT SHIP ON 20

5.What times are food and drinks available ?

CAFE IS OPEN FROM TIME WE LEAVE ATL TO 12 MID AND THEN 6 AM UNTIL PHL WITH BREAK IN WAS. THE DINER WILL MAKE A LAST CALL AFTER ATLANTA AND CLOSE AT 9PM FOR DINNER. OPEN FROM 630 TO 830 FOR BREAKFAST AND THEN 45 MINUTE LUNCH BETWEEN BAL AND WIL DELEAWARE

6.Last and final question, If i board in Atlanta does the train usually have alot of space left, such as if i wanted a window seat with no one next to me what are the chances

WELL NO. WE TEND TO GET ALOT OF PEOPLE AFTER ATL BUT IT THINS OUT AFTER DC.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'll answer a few of your questions. Others will chime in for the rest.

There are smoke breaks along the route. If on the schedule you see a separate "arrival" time and "departure" time, these may be crew change points, and thus smoke breaks. But note that if the train is running late, it may stop for less time than is noted. There may be others, if the train is running early - it can not leave until it's scheduled departure time! ;) (But it will leave at that time whether you're on board or not! So stay near the train!)

Technically, a coach passenger can not consume their own adult beverages aboard. (Sodas and such are OK!) A way to get around it is to bring the same kind of beer that is sold on board! ;)

Usually breakfast is served 6:30-9 AM, lunch from 11:30 to 2 and dinner from 5 or so yt 8 or so. (Dinner is by reservation times only, the other 2 are first come/first served.)

You are also aware that you need to switch in Washington or New York, and maybe in New Haven too.

Hello Everyone !

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

I travel frequently between Hartford and Atlanta using the Crescent and Amtrak’s regional trains and will try to provide some insight not covered in the other post.

The Crescent only travels northbound between Atlanta (originating in New Orleans) and New York and requires 1 to 2 train changes depending on how and where you booked your ticket . I find that Amtrak at times has booked passengers traveling north of New York into Washington and then on its regional service for points north of NYC. If you are book in this manner you will have a train change in Washington, DC most likely on train 176 @ 12:05 which connects with the inland shuttle train 476 (cross platform transfer upon arrival) at New Haven for a about a 1 hour ride into Hartford. The other way this trip is booked is Atlanta to New York with a train change in New York possibly with the same train combination. For coach passengers I think the price is about the same but, with more people and less amenities on the regionals.

Boarding the Crescent in Atlanta is hectic as there is always a large exchange of boarding and disembarking passengers, Arrive Early! The Atlanta station is somewhat small with only one elevator and a very steep and long stairway. If you have luggage to check you must arrive early as I have seen many disappointed passenger who missed the strict luggage check in cutoff and have to try to get luggage they had planed to check on board! Using the elevator to reach track level is long and will impact your ability to grab a early seat.

How you are seated depends on you assigned car’s attendant ( some car attendants assign seats). Get to the station early and camp out by the stairs and get down to the platform quickly, depending on how booked the train is south of Atlanta some coaches may be locked out until Atlanta and provide an opportunity to board an empty coach opened up for Atlanta passengers.

The Best time to catch some fresh air and stretch off the train before the AM hours is in Greenville, but its only 5 mns if on time, Charlotte is scheduled longer but I’m always asleep by then.

Most importantly, don’t over do the drinking, on almost every other trip I have been on someone gets arrested and put off the train into the waiting arms of the local police/sheriff and most of the time in the little towns along the line. I saw one very drunk and belligerent guy get put off at a road crossing where the train was met by the police for just that purpose.

I hope this helps, enjoy your trip!

Timothy

In terms of smoking, Amtrak does not guarantee anything. If the train is running severely behind schedule (which does happen occasionally), you may not get to smoke until Washington. (I've seen this happen...yuck.)

I find that sleeping car attendants are a little more accommodating than coach attendants. If sleeper attendants know that the train will take approximately four minutes to load passengers and baggage at a certain station, they will let you out to smoke even if the train is an hour late. I've never had this happen in coach. Maybe it's because more people would be going outside were this to happen in coach. Or maybe it's because the sleeping car attendants know they will likely be tipped at the end.

When I've ridden the Crescent...*shudders*...it seemed like most people got on in Atlanta and most people alighted in Washington.

I overheard a hipster ask the conductor if Gainesville would be a smoke stop on #20 after boarding in ATL. He was crushed to find out that it would be CLT at 3ish in the morning.

I overheard a hipster ask the conductor if Gainesville would be a smoke stop on #20 after boarding in ATL. He was crushed to find out that it would be CLT at 3ish in the morning.

If I was still smoking, I wouldnt be riding the rails. I was a 4 pack a dayer. This August it will be 4 years!!!!

I think that calls for a Train Trip!!!

RF :p

I know last year when I rode the Crescent (New Orleans-Washington DC) the train was far enough ahead of time that Greenville, SC was a short smoke break. That was also around 11:30PM so if the train is early again, I don't know how many smokers would take advantage of that stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back