Traveling part way with friend's AGR trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
A friend of mine is going to book an AGR roomette redemption from Cleveland to Miami. Since the redemption is set up for two people, I am going to travel the Capitol Limited segment with him. Is there a problem with a person making only part of the trip on a redemption? Should it even be mentioned when making the booking? I'm assuming something should be said considering the train change in DC.

No need to say anything Until after the Train change in WAS, then your Friend can tell the Conductor as they Board and the Conmductor Scans the e-ticket (and as a Courtesy once Aboard the SCA for his Sleeping Car and possibly the LSA in the Diner that their Friend had to Detrain in WAS and won't be traveling to Florida! But as Ryan said you don't really have to do anything with the Rez, same # of Points for One or Two on an AGR Award Trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
I made reservations for two on my recent redemption (in case my husband or a friend agreed to come with me), and when I got on the train just said "oh, he couldn't come" in response to the "aren't there two of you?" question. Shoulders were shrugged, notes were made on the conductor's manifest, and it was no big deal.

In the "old days" of paper tickets, I had an award booked from BHM-WAS-CHI-PDX-LAX in both my name and my friend's name, even though he only joined me from WAS to PDX. As said, they was no problem. Otherwise, it will cost you MANY more points to redeem an AGR award.

Thanks everyone. I thought it wouldn't be a problem but just wanted to make sure with the experts.

I assume the same would be true in the following scenario, and Amtrak would accept it, but... My husband and I would redeem 30,000 points for a round trip roomette from HUN to MIA. He would detrain at RVR (Richmond), and I would continue to MIA. Then the next day I'd board at MIA and go up to RVR and pick him up, and we'd both return home together in another roomette. He's a historian and needs to do some research and I'm a rail crazy fan who wants to travel all the different lines. :) ETA this sentence: BTW, he's not sure at this point he needs to go back to RVR to do research, this is just on the table as a possibility.

I know there was an issue last year when I considered taking my sister on my trip from HUN to SAS. She's from northern Ohio and was going to detrain at CHI on the way home and then take the LSL on her own money, while I finished my trip on the Cardinal. I thought to ask about this and according to AGR it wouldn't have worked because she would be booked on two trains at once. They said they could make a note on my ticket that my sister would be detraining at CHI and taking another train. But apparently, if one in a party will be taking another train it needs to be brought up to AGR. Ultimately my sister decided not to travel for other reasons, but it was intereting how they reacted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, the duplicate reservations filter would make something like that marginally more difficult.

Even then, putting slightly different forms of the name on the two reservations would be a pretty simple workaround.

Back