Traveling solo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
Just curious as to how many people have traveled alone on AMTRAK for a long distance? How were you received by other passengers? Was it easy to start a conversation? What did you like/dislike about traveling solo?

I went from NYC -> DC -> Chicago (cardinal) -> Austin -> Chicago -> Seattle -> Portland, OR -> Sacramento -> Denver -> Chicago -> DC (Capitol Limited) -> Baltimore 2 years ago. I found my interation with other passengers quite friendly and easy to initiate. It helps if you know the schedules and can answer people's simple questions about amtrak. That was always a nice conversation starter for me. Thanks AU!! :)

The only con was traveling alone in a coach seat and having to be concerned about who my seatmate was and whether they might steal my seat in their sleep :)

Last year I traveled CHI NOl CH (sleeper) by myself. I had great interaction with other passengers, especially in the CCC car. Also a lot of discussions with crew once they found out I was involved with this forum.

I have travelled many thousands of miles on Amrak in coach solo. I have found it most enjoyable. All human life is there, and, depending on the mix of passengers, it becomes rather like a little mobile village travelling through the landscape. I estimate that about half of seats are taken by solo riders, so you won't be the odd one out! A matter of luck as to your immediate travelling companions, but I prefer it when there are some larger than life "characters" in the mix. A few years ago my close fellow riders included a woman just out of prison, and a "cage fighter". (No, they were not a couple!).

Keep an open mind, and you will find travel broadens it..

Cheers,

Eddie :cool:

Solo travelers are more accessible to conversation in my opinion. I would start talking to a solo traveler more often as to not encroach on a pair who might be already in conversation.

That being said, no matter who was at a diner table (singles, couples, or 3), I always would start a conversation. Most times they are chatty, but occasionaly you get the quiet type(s).

I am lagging behind in tabulating my mileage but I seem to remember something like 157,000 until a year or two ago. Most of that alone as I had very few friends who cared to ride more than about three hours on the train.

It has never been an issue in any way. Some travel by coach, much of it sleeper.

My seat mate in coach would be the only thing to worry about and I have done ok with that.

Lots of fun engaging fellow travelers in conversation in the diner.

Do not even think about it. Nobody is going to point and stare and say "That guy is by himself!!" Wonder what is wrong with him?

I frequently travel LD alone by Amtrak. If it's overnight I'm in a roomette and pretty much just interact with others during meal time. For Philadelphia-Pittsburgh trips I go business class and usually let others decide how much they would like to chat. I always have a book or work to do to keep me company.

Dave

I almost always travel alone on Amtrak. The longest solo trip so far has been from Orlando to St. Paul and back, however, late summer I will be taking a 2 week cross country trip by myself. I have always found someone to talk to (if I cared to) and I have always felt safe and comfortable.

I travel alone LD. I am an introvert by nature and am usually the "quiet one". However, I was very surprised at how talkative I was at dinner. At one point I even thought that I needed to just "shut up and let other people talk". Very unusual for me.

I've done a few LD solo trips - and have generally found it pretty easy to start up a conversation with folks at meal time and in the lounge car. Usually conversation evolves around destinations and a comparison of travel experiences.

I am popluar known riding on Silver Meteor from ORL - NYP and met many people and evenually all conductors I know and they are quiet pleasant. Even I had a wonderful conversation with the person who works in Lounge even in Diner cars. Amtrak is more fun to meet than flying on plane.

If you are in sleepers section, you will meet more cool people.

I too, am a quiet person & have traveled across country a couple of times by myself. I really loved it.( although, when in a sleeper, I always feel the other meals are being wasted,LOL) Next month, another AU Member (never met) and I are gonna try bunking together. But it's only gonna be for12 days!!! :lol: :eek: :lol: :eek: :lol:

RF

While solo-riding the Crescent over the past 20 years, I had many interesting conversations with foreign couples and individuals travelling on Amerail Passes. One memorable visit was with a couple from Hobart, Tazmania who were overwhelmed by the immense size of the US compared with their island home. When I commented that their country (Australia) was equal to if not larger than the US, they admitted they had toured only one city on the east coast of Australia. I found this to be the case with many foreign tourists, that many had toured other countries or continents far more than they had toured their home countries.

I travel a lot solo. I chat with other passengers, find the pretty girls :D , have fun, etc... Its great! I don't mind it at all.

I have traveled on the California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Northeast Regional, & Downeaster, all alone. I've also been on some of those trips with a companion.

Right now I am in Northern California and heading out of Dunsmuir tomorrow morning, to Portland and thence Empire Builder back to New Chicago and on to New England. I am always telling my friends, one of the things I like best about train travel is that you almost always meet people who are will to tell you their life story; and are willing to listen to yours.

have Fun!

I almost always travel alone on Amtrak. The longest solo trip so far has been from Orlando to St. Paul and back, however, late summer I will be taking a 2 week cross country trip by myself. I have always found someone to talk to (if I cared to) and I have always felt safe and comfortable.
I have to agree. I use to travel alone all the time and I was always enjoyable and the people I have met has been a joy. One of my friends, I met on the CZ train while traveling alone out west. I have visited his home in Chicagoland and he has visited my home in VA.

I've traveled solo long distance trains for years and years, the latest trip was TAC-LAX-NOL-CHI-LAX-TAC, on which at least part of 10 days was on trains. I've never had any problems striking up conversations, particularly in the diner, and have felt at no disadvantage. In fact, I am normally a shy person, but find myself much more outgoing on a train.

The main advantage is being able to be in a roomette and be comfortable in it. Difficult for two. The only disadvantage is the normal disadvantage to traveling solo, no one to share the experience with.

I would say I have traveled 11,000 or so miles solo. I kinda prefer it that way, I find it gives me more freedom to meet the other passengers, and I've met quite a few interesting people from every walk of life.

I've traveled solo long distance trains for years and years, the latest trip was TAC-LAX-NOL-CHI-LAX-TAC, on which at least part of 10 days was on trains. I've never had any problems striking up conversations, particularly in the diner, and have felt at no disadvantage. In fact, I am normally a shy person, but find myself much more outgoing on a train.
The main advantage is being able to be in a roomette and be comfortable in it. Difficult for two. The only disadvantage is the normal disadvantage to traveling solo, no one to share the experience with.

Now, that hit the nail on the head! Several times I thought "How can I talk so & so into taking a train ride with me so I could share this experience?"

RF

I take the LD train precisely so I CAN be alone, yet amongst fellow human beings. Whenever I want to get away from it all, I take a train trip. Being solo in a roomette is great. You can read, listen to music, take naps, ruminate. And yet company is there if you seek it by going to the diner or cafe/lounge cars. Since 2008, I have gone EB, CONO, SL, CS (twice), LSL, CZ, Vermonter and enjoyed every one of them. I got started in 2005 on the San Joaquin.

Last edited by a moderator:
All my Amtrak miles have been solo. I'm normally a quiet and fairly shy person but it's easy to strike up a conversation on a train. Whatever it may be - seeing family or friends, college, work, on a vacation, railfanning or something else everyone has a bit of a story as to why they're on that train, and that's always a good starting point in talking to people.

I've never actually travelled solo unless you can count traveling with my 11 year-old grandson who always has on headphones hooked to some electronic device! :p But, this summer I'm taking a cross country trip (ATL, NOL, CHI, LAX, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, CHI, DC, ATL). I chose to travel alone because I'm more flexible than most of my friends! :D I am so looking forward to 14 days of my own company and the company of the persons I choose to talk to on the train. I'll be staying in hotels alone, sightseeing alone, and changing trains alone and I am so excited. Can't wait for my trip to begin! :D :D You will have a great time!

I've never actually travelled solo unless you can count traveling with my 11 year-old grandson who always has on headphones hooked to some electronic device! :p But, this summer I'm taking a cross country trip (ATL, NOL, CHI, LAX, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, CHI, DC, ATL). I chose to travel alone because I'm more flexible than most of my friends! :D I am so looking forward to 14 days of my own company and the company of the persons I choose to talk to on the train. I'll be staying in hotels alone, sightseeing alone, and changing trains alone and I am so excited. Can't wait for my trip to begin! :D :D You will have a great time!

You're in for a GREAT TRIP!!!! :D

RF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back