Traveling with a disabled mother

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a first time Amtrak traveler...I will be traveling on the California Zephyr in June with my adult daughter, and my mother. Mom is legally blind, and uses a cane or walker for mobility. She can climb stairs with some assistance. Some questions: How easy are the steps to navigate getting on the train; and how easy are they to navigate on the train to the upper level? How smooth is the ride...will she be thrown about if she walks around to the bathroom or whatever? I would like for her not be confined to the coach car on the lower level if possible, but want to be prepared...

I think it is feasible. As she is accompanied she should never walk alone. For a long trip I would suggest to book at least a roomette. Either on the lower level, then restrooms and showers are on same level as well as the train entrance and food could be brought from the dining car. Or staying on upper level and climbing stairs only once at beginning and end of travel. A small restroom is also available on the upper level of sleeping cars. For more details see my virtual tour of a Superliner, which should give you you a lot of clues. The ride is normally quite smooth, but some jolts are possible.

http://www.kaemena360.com/home/amtrak-superliner.html

Depends on where you board at as to getting on the train. Some stations have platforms near or at car level most on the CZ they use a step stool. The stairs on a superliner are narrow, one person wide, they make two turns with three levels bottom to top. You can count on the sway of the train causeing some to have problems walking thru the car and more so car to car. Being the restrooms in coach are all on the lower level you will have to desend and climb stairs if sitting upper level. One trick is to try the restroom deal or moving car to car while the train is standing still at a station or delay in route. They make plenty of stops along the way.

First suggestion would be the H bedroom for your mom and daughter, with you in a lower level roomette nearby. That way your mom will have her own private toilet facilities available if needed during the night. If sleeping accommodations are out of your price range I would recommend lower level coach, especially if you will be traveling overnight, as the restroom facilities will be "right there". Either way, if your mom is feeling up to climbing the stairs and heading to the lounge car or dining car during the day, there's no reason that she can't, especially with one of you there to assist her. If she would prefer to take her meals in her room or at her seat the car attendant will be available to assist, although a good tip is advised.

First suggestion would be the H bedroom for your mom and daughter, with you in a lower level roomette nearby. That way your mom will have her own private toilet facilities available if needed during the night. If sleeping accommodations are out of your price range I would recommend lower level coach, especially if you will be traveling overnight, as the restroom facilities will be "right there". Either way, if your mom is feeling up to climbing the stairs and heading to the lounge car or dining car during the day, there's no reason that she can't, especially with one of you there to assist her. If she would prefer to take her meals in her room or at her seat the car attendant will be available to assist, although a good tip is advised.
You might note that for the disabled (and that might include those that need assistance to walk), the Handicapped room is priced at Roomette prices. A true bargain for those that need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back