Traveling with small children

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brent Collins

Flying with small kids is a nightmare, so next month I'm taking the Amtrak from the Phoenix area to L.A., then connecting in L.A. to San Luis Oblisbo. I'm traveling solo with my two kids, a 4 year old and an 18 month old. I have Deluxe and Family bedrooms for the trip. I have a few questions and would be very appreciative if anyone could give me any info on the following:

1) If requested, can meals be brought to the room or do we have to eat in the dining car?

If yes, who do I have to put the request in with?

2) Are meals served on a set schedule?

3) Is help with bags available in L.A.? I can't transfer my own bags while juggling/running after my kids.

4) Am I insane taking the train with two small children?

Thanks!

Hi Brent,

Though I'm sure others will reply with their thoughts, I'll pick off a couple of things that I can answer off the top:

1) Yes, you can have your meals brought to your room if desired, though you may find it more convenient service-wise to eat in the dining car. You would put the request with your sleeping car attendant, who places your order and retrieves your meals. When I say you might find it more convenient to be in the dining car for service, I mean that if you need a refill of your hot tea or soft drink, or how about dessert, you'll have to summon your car attendant each time. Attendants are not always in their car, so unfortunately this can at times be a challenge. Granted, there are coffee and soft drinks in your sleeping car, but you get the idea... it's almost like having a meal delivered to your house, vs. eating at the table in a restaurant, where you have waiters and busboys right there.

2) Yes, breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served at the usual, respective times of day, for two to three hours at a time. Breakfast is usually 6:30-9:30, lunch usually starts around 11:30 or noon, and dinner (reservations only) usually begins at 5pm and ends around 8:30 or 9:00. These times are very approximate and can vary based on train schedule or space in the dining car.

3) If you check your bags, they will be transferred to your next train automatically. Los Angeles has red caps on carts who can assist with carry on bags, but tipping is customary.

Agreed with much of what the previous poster wrote, Brent. The meals are served on a regular schedule, and the train is ideal for traveling with kids. One thing I'd strongly recommend, however, is to bring along games and activities for the young ones to do while aboard the train. If you fail to do this, you're going to have two bored younsters with you, and I don't need to tell you how difficult that can be. Make sure to bring along some items or games with which to occupy their time. Thd redcaps in LA can be helpful. Not too sure about the red caps in ( I think ) Maricopa?

As for your last question: No, you aren't crazy to take two small kids along with you. The train can be great way to travel with kids.

I've seen many crazier things than two kids, I've seen Girl Scouts, people with five and six kids, two is definitely managable, they'll love the experience.

Speaking of crazy sights. I can recall seeing a church group on the Crescent with only 2 chaperones and about 15-20 kids, now that was fun..... <_< :lol:

Hi there,

I have traveled on several long distance trips with my son at one, two and three years of age (one son - three years of trips). You will do well in the rooms you have chosen, the deluxe room is usually what we take.

Your attendent can bring your meals to your room - they don't have a lot of choices for kids, mac n' cheese or chicken strips - but my little guy usually just eats off the regular menu anyway. I suggest you bring sippy cups for both and a few extra bibs too. There are no booster chairs or highchairs in the dining car so be prepared to sit in a booth w/o that convenience if you eat in the dining car.

Get a red cap to help you with your luggage if you need to - if they have baggage service in San Luis Obispo and Phoenix (Mariposa right?) stations then you can check your bags all the way through - you can call Amtrak and ask about that now so you know.

Pack light!!!

Bring some small toys and games along. I usually collect some "Happy Meal" toys ahead of time and stash them away and break em out during the trip - they are always a novelty to my son, as well as being small and I can toss em later.

Your 4 year old will have to sleep on the top bunk unless you decide to put both in the lower and you sleep up top. The lower bunk is roomy enough for 2 small kids.

Good luck! Let us know if you have any more questions. Your kids will LOVE the train!!!

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. If anyone has experienced air travel since 9/11, you know how stressful it is. Add two bored, squirming and possibly tantruming kids, carry-ons, car seats, etc. and, well, you get the picture - which is exactly why I'm looking forward to taking the train this time around.

Thanks you again - if anyone has any other tips or insights, please feel free to add them.

Brent

Brent, just wanted you to know i'll be travelling with my 4yo daughter and 26 month son (and hubby too) very soon from NY to FL. we got a deluxe sleeper, and it's our first time on a train. i'll definitely let you know how it went and any tips i can share when i get back (we return on 10/12).

I received some good advice here a little while ago about this, so go back a couple of pages and look for 1 or 2 posts from me, and read the replies. it will help you a bit.

again, i'll post a reply to you when i get back. Liz :)

I keep telling my Aunt who lives in Orlando that she needs to take the Sunset to LA with my cousin (cousin is 2 1/2) to visit her parents. You could go round trip for something like $200 in a standard (that's on board up grade with the 50% discount) plus rail fare. If you travel at the right time of year when bookings are usually low, that is a deal compared to flying to LA.

Hi Brent,

I have yet to travel with a 4 yr old or an 18 mo old but I have with with my daughter on the train when she was 6 and then this summer for her 8th Birthday.

Here are a few that might be helpful.

One thing I did before our trip is I bought things for Ashley to do that she didn't know about. Keeping her backpack a mystery helped. She was that much more excited to go through it and see what I got for her to do. Some of the things I picked out were coloring books, a book to read (in your case a few would be good, if your kids love reading), fuzzy picutures with markers (you can find these at Michaels or walmart, they are the black fuzzy pictures with bright markers), cards (go fish is good to pass the time, if your lucky they may have some Amtrak cards on board for a small fee), a favorite stuffed animal and blankey, a camera (your 4yr old might really like this) and blank paper.

Last year we even took blunt scissors and a glue stick.

Crayola makes this stuff called model magic. It's this foamy clay. It's light and NOT messy at all, it doesn't even stick to your hands. It's also non toxic. That might be a fun thing for both of your kids on the train.

This year my husband and I bought a portable dvd player. It's was a bit much, price wise, but well worth it. I took all the dvd's I like and cartoons for Ashley. One movie she really liked watching on the train was Thomas and the Magic Railroad. Watching a train movie on the train really tickled her.

They do have movies in the parlour car for kids but you may find they are not appropriate for the age.

Oh and you may want to bring snacks. They do have a concession area but prices can be a bit much for what you get and there is nothing like having your very own favorites, especially with an 18 month old. I took enough snacks for the both of us for the 2 days we were on the train. I believe I did 2 snacks each day. We took peanuts, crackers, those PB&J cracker deals where you put it together yourself (might be messy for the 18 month old but good for you 4 year old and chewy granola bars. I am sure your kids have their favorites.

At any rate, there's my 2 cents. I hope some of this information helps.

:D

Diane

Brent,

We just did the Sunset Limited from San Antonio to Orlando and back, in the family sleeper with our 4 year old and 21 month old daughters. It was a great alternative to flying. We have found that traveling with a child between the ages of 12 months to 2 1/2 is difficult regardless of the means. We liked Amtrak because the 21 month old did not have to be strapped into a car seat for hours which inevitably leads to screaming tantrums if you are not lucky enough to hit nap time.

The trip there was great and the kids loved the train. Our 4 year old especially liked the connect the dots coloring book I surprised her with. We also brought our portable dvd player, well worth it, which I bought off of Amazon.com for a great price. When the kids fell asleep, we even enjoyed watching a movie of our own.

We had a lot of other toys and snacks. They have a kids menu of 2 choices: chicken strips, corn, and potatoes or mac and cheese. Both were substandard so after a trial of each, we ordered them meals off the main menu. Because of the low activity level, we were not that hungry most of the time and found a lot of food left over - so, often, I would just give them part of what my husband and I ordered. I feel guilty wasting food.

The ride home was more difficult for our youngest. After a vacation of high activity in the outdoors , she was not content in our room and forced us to walk up and down the aisles and open the train doors; the alternative was a screaming tantrum.

We often visited the observation car for a change of scenery but the air conditioning malfunctioned and this was not available for part of the return trip.

It was convenient to be so close to the luggage rack in the family sleeper. We could reach our suitcases for more toys and clothes very easily.

Being prepared for delays and having the right mindset going into the trip can really reduce your stress level which the children sense. We were 5-6 hours late going and 5 hours late on our return. Expect it and focus on the positive. Many others complained but having a positive attitude goes a long way, especially with kids. The train going the opposite direction was over 15 hours late and still had a day to go. I was thankful we were not so delayed. The 5 hour delay home allowed us a full night's sleep without disruption (our scheduled arrival was 2:30 am). This allowed for us to be fully rested in facing the first day home with the kids.

We had a great trip and are looking forward to our next. Have a wonderful time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back