Traveling with Young Children

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Connie

My husband and I are thinking about taking a train from Miami to El Paso this winter with our two kids (7 & 2). We are kinda wondering if it's a good idea. We think our oldest will love it but do you think it will be two much for our two year old? Does anyone have any suggestions or tips if we do decide to make the trip? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

No, that'll be a wonderful family vacation!

There's one sleeper class that can accomodiate your family (4). It is called family room and it is located on lower level. There's two large and two small beds. Purchasing this room is included with 3 meals a day. There are several restrooms down the hall on lower leve.

Make sure to bring some toys along for the kids to preoccupy their time. Be sure to spend some time in Sighteer Lounge car.

I'm sure that other users will post more details for you to read.

Connie,

Welcome to the forum :) , traveling by train can be a fun and interesting experience for those of all ages. Since you will be going from Miami to El Paso you will first be taking the Silver Meteor #98 to Orlando then switch to the Sunset Limited #1 for the remainder of the journey. The Silver Meteor offers reserved Coach Class and First Class Viewliner Sleeping Car service. Coaches have two comfortable reclining seats on each side of the aisle, with plenty of legroom, foldout tray tables and adjustable footrests. All seats feature individual reading lights and overhead luggage racks. All coaches have two restrooms at one end of the car. Coach Class passengers have access to the Lounge Car were a selection on drinks, snacks, and light meals are available from a snack bar. You can relax at one of the tables or take the food back to your seat. Also if you are traveling in Coach you are welcome to enjoy a gourmet meal in the Dining Car. Prices range from $5-7 for breakfast, $7-10 for lunch, and $10-$20 for dinner. It operates just like a restaurant and trained chefs in the kitchen freshly prepare meals.

On the Silver Meteor you also have the option of booking a room in the Sleeping Car, however for the short ride up to Orlando this is not necessary. The Viewliner Sleeping Car consists of 12 Standard Bedrooms, 2 Deluxe Bedrooms, and 1 Accessible Bedroom. Standard Bedrooms offer two chairs located on either side of a big picture window. The chairs convert to the lower berth and the upper berth folds down from above. This room also has a vanity and toilet. The shower and changing room is located at the end of the car. The Deluxe Bedroom offers a sofa and armchair. At night, the sofa converts to the lower berth and the upper berth folds down from above. This room also includes an enclosed shower, sink and toilet. Two deluxe rooms can be combined into a suite that accommodates up to four adults. Every bedroom includes enclosed private bathroom facilities and a sliding partition that allows two adjoining rooms to become a suite. The Accessible Bedroom is a Viewliner Deluxe Bedroom that has been equipped for passengers with special mobility requirements. The sofa converts to the lower berth and the upper berth folds down from above. This room also includes an enclosed shower, sink, and toilet accessible by a wheelchair. Food service to the room is available to passengers upon request. One special feature about the Viewliner is the extra set of windows. Not only is there a wide window for viewing at eye level, but a second window above to allow extra light. An attendant is on-call through out the trip and will help you with your luggage and provide complimentary soft drinks and juice and sometimes a light snack or fruit. Sleeping Car passengers can also enjoy complementary meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) in the Dining Car.

Now moving on to the Sunset Limited. This train is equipped with bi-level Superliner cars, the largest passenger cars in the world! Many of the amenities are the same as on the Silver Meteor, but the interior layout of the train is somewhat different. Coach Class cars offer 60 seats on the upper-level in a 2-2 fashion and restroom and more seating for handicapped passengers can be found on the lower level. As before each seat has lots of legroom, foot rests, calf/leg rests, fold out tray table, reading light, and storage for any luggage you may have with you. The views from the upper-level really enhance the scenery. As a Coach Class passenger you will have access to the Sightseer Lounge. On the upper-level of the lounge there is floor to ceiling windows that even wrap around the roof and there is plenty of casual seating. On the lower level you will find an arrangement of tables and a snack bar where you can purchase drinks, snacks, and light meals. While traveling in Coach you can again make a visit to the dinner for all meals, but reservations for dinner are required and the lead Dining Car Attendant will come around in the afternoon to make them.

The Sleeping Cars have 14 Standard Bedrooms, 5 Deluxe Rooms, 1 Accessible Bedrooms, and a Family Bedroom. The Standard Bedrooms are located on both upper and lower levels of this bi-level car, and are designed for up to two adults. Next to a big picture window, the two reclining seats convert to a bed and the upper berth folds down from above. Standard rooms have upper and lower reading lights, heat and air controls, fold down table and standard American electrical outlets for shavers, hairdryers, etc. The shower and toilet facilities are located nearby. Deluxe first class accommodations are located on the upper level of this bi-level car. These private rooms offer a sofa and armchair that convert to a wide lower berth and comfortable upper berth. They also include a private sink and vanity accompanied by a fully enclosed shower and toilet. Two deluxe rooms can be combined into a suite that accommodates up to four adults. Deluxe rooms have upper and lower reading lights, heat and air controls, and standard American electrical outlets for shavers, hairdryers, etc. The Family Bedroom is in the lower level of this bi-level car and spans the entire width of the car. It has two picture windows and ample room for two adults and two small children. The sofa and two reclining seats convert to beds and the two upper berths fold down from above. Family rooms have upper and lower reading lights, heat and air controls, fold down table and standard American electrical outlets for shavers, hairdryers, etc. The shower and restrooms are located a few steps away. The Accessible Bedroom is in the lower level of this bi-level car and designed for passengers with special mobility requirements. This room occupies the entire width of the car, with space for wheelchair maneuverability. The lavatory area is located in the room and is separated by a privacy curtain. Food service in the room is available to passengers upon request. First-class Sleeping Car service includes all meals in the Dining Car. An attendant is available and on call 24-hours a day to help with luggage, sleeping room preparations, wake up calls and other needs that you may have during your trip. In the morning, the attendant can serve you a choice of tea, coffee, or juice along with a morning newspaper. Entertainment activities are open to all passengers. On most trains movies are shown every evening in the lounge car. During the summer month’s cartoons are shown daily.

As for traveling with children be sure have plenty of reading materials, games, stuffed animals, music (walkman, etc.), special snacks, and other items that you will need. Be sure to spend time in the Lounge and the first run of movies in the evening are usually G or PG and suitable for children. Expect the unexpected as trains are bound to get delayed, but the best thing to do is keep your cool and just enjoy the ride. I’m sure some other members will have some photos and other tips. :)

If your two-year-old sleeps well at night, then you can also consider traveling in coach. You'll be spending two overnights on the train, but it's been done before. You can always change your clothes in the rest rooms downstairs. The advantage to coach travel over sleepers is that you get to see out both sides, whereas sleepers typically give you only one side of the world (unless your neighbors have their room and window shades open too).

The other advantage to coach travel is that you will meet other travelers, possibly other families with kids your age. Since they are in a captive environment, kids who are close in age tend to bond together; this is beneficial particularly to your seven-year-old. That allows the parents to take turns watching the kids, and the parents who are not watching can rest for a while. The kids can share toys and games that others brought, and they have a peer to play travel-related games with.

Travel in coach is of course much cheaper than sleepers.

Coach or sleeper -- it's your choice, but I just wanted to give you both sides.

Well I personally would recommend the trip to you. The Sunset Limited is the train you would spend the bulk of your trip on. You have two options though, the Sunset Ltd originates in Orlando. Going north/west you can connect from train 98 the Silver Meteor, and the move to the Sunset there. however, south/eastbound there is no good connection to a train that returns to Miami. The only way to get back to Miami is to connect to the Palmetto at Jacksonville and take that to Miami. Be aware though that if you choose this option there is an eight hour layover in Jacksonville (however most days the Sunset is 2-6 hours late so it might not be so bad). I personally would recommend you drive to Orlando and catch the Sunset from there. The Sunset Ltd consists of bi-level Superliner equipment. I would recommend going First Class in a sleeping car (this will also include all of your meals in the dining car complimentary, as well as access to free beverages available in each sleeping car). For your purposes there are two recommended rooms, a Deluxe Bedroom or a Family Sleeper. The Sunset carries two Family Bedrooms and ten Deluxe Bedrooms (so naturally the Family room will likely be sold out before the Deluxe). The Family Bedroom is located on the Lower Level of the car and take up the width of the car. By day there is a long couch that streches the length of the room, and a window on each side of the room. By night there are four beds, two adult sized and two child sized (one adult and child on the bottom and same on the upper bunk), your attendant will make up the room into night configuration. Restrooms and showers are also located on the lower level just a few steps away from your room. The Deluxe room is a little bit smaller area wise, but has a private restroom/shower in the room. These rooms are located upstairs and take up a good portion of the widt of the car. The room has one window in it (plus one you can see across the hallway when the door is open) and two bunks. There is a sofa as well as an armchair in the room. The view is better in the deluxe room, but is not as comfortable with four people in the room. If you want to take a chance you can book a coach room and then upgrade to a sleeper once on board the train, where you will recieve a 20-50% discount, but there is no guarantee that a room will be available, and an even less likely chance that a deluxe or family room wil be available. If you decide to travel in coach, each car will hold 75 people, so you will hear, see, and be around other people all the time. The majority of seats are upstairs, but a limited number of seats are available downstairs, which is a little more private. Each coach has restrooms downstairs, as well as an area to store luggage. All meals in coach are purchased in addition to your coach fare. The Sunset also has a Sightseer Lounge which usually shows movies in the evening. The lounge has a snack bar on the lower level, and and observation area upstairs with wraparound windows. The trip will take you two days, with a 1:45 PM departure in Orlando, 3:15 PM arrival in El Paso, 3:45 departure in El Paso, and an 8:45 PM arrival in Orlando. It's a beautiful trip that I'm sure the kids will enjoy, and hopefully will be memorable.

Connie:

An alternative to using rail for the round trip would be the Amtrak Air/Rail program. Air/Rail allows you to book one-way by train and the other by air with a single fare. You can also upgrade your rail portion to a sleeper if desired (and, in my opinion, it is highly desired). Air/Rail uses United Airlines as the air partner and is booked through Amtrak’s tour agency, Amtrak Vacations, at 1-877-YES-RAIL (937-7245).

I think Air/Rail is a great program for a first-time, long-distance train experience. There is a “possibility” that your kids (or maybe even you) will not find Amtrak as enthralling a transportation option as some of us more train-happy believers do. Although train travel is as relaxing a way to get from here to there as you can find, not everyone finds the “leisurely” pace of Amtrak to be a plus (and a two year old may fall into that category). I offer that from painful, first-hand experience with a decidedly non-train loving family (“Dad, tell me again how taking two days to get somewhere is better than taking four hours.”).

With the return leg by air, you will be able to sample a long-distance train trip without having to take the same trip in reverse a few days or weeks later. If things work out well on the train, you can use Amtrak again with confidence. If not, you at least tried it once and can head home by air. If you plan to use sleeping accommodations on Amtrak, the Air/Rail option may save you money over Amtrak including sleeper both ways.

PRR60, that is good, sound, extremely realistic advice.

As to the possiblity of somebody riding the train and not liking as well as those of us on this board do, I also have another suggestion. Sometimes it might work for some people to take a very short 3 or 4 hour "test trip" somewhere on the train, just to get the feel of the thing and see if they would enjoy a longer experience.

For such a trip they would not have put out too much time or money just in case it was a bomb for them.

Too bad your family is not into it as much as you are. I always had it fairly easy, my parents and sister were always, at least "ok" about the train....and reasonably tolerant of my taking two days to get somewhere when it could be accomplished in four hours.

Thank you all so much for your replies - so much information. It's great. I didn't know about the Air/Rail program - that actually might not be a bad idea. The long layover in Jacksonville was kinda worring me. It would also give me more time to spend with my family in Ruidoso.

We are really getting excited about taking this trip. :D We asked our oldest if he wanted to go and he was all for it. His only disapointment was that we had to wait until December. :wacko: I think our youngest will be ok. We've taken him on three long (18 - 24hr) car trips and he did pretty good. And he was stuck in his car seat the whole time. So being able to get up, move around and have mom, dad & big brother to play with will be a big treat and we'll have the sleeper to escape to for his naps and such.

We are definately getting a sleeper - hopefully the family bedroom. We plan on booking as soon as I get the OK from my boss. We still have 8 months so hopefully they won't get sold out. Is the Sunset Limited usually full? Are there very many kids traveling?

I really think that we will all enjoy the trip. It's something that my husband and I have wanted to do for a long time. Who knows maybe we will become the newest railfans. :p

Connie, one thing which might help in regard to your two year old....I was 3 when I was first taken on a train and I became "addicted" to it then....so the two year old may do very well; it seems your 7 year old is already sold.....so good luck.

Connie,

Since you are traveling in December, you are probably still ok on booking the family sleeper. However if you are going to travel during the Christmas holiday period, then I wouldn't wait too much longer to book. Try to make your reservation by the end of May. Otherwise you could get shut out. If you are traveling in early December, then you've probably got another 2-3 months to make up your mind.

I personally would recommend the family room over a deluxe room. It gives you a little more room to spread out, plus everyone gets their own bed instead of needing to share. Additionally if the train is not full, you may find that you pretty much have the lower half of the car to yourselves. That means you don't have to worry about the kids getting a little loud, as long as your ears can handle it.

Most kids seem to love trains, so I don't think that you should have too many problems with them. As others have mentioned, just remember to bring along books, coloring books, toys, and other forms of amusements. I recommend, especially for the 7 year-old, pack one backpack for each child filled with their fun things. While you may end up carrying the two year-old's pack, your older child will feel important carrying his own things.

As for how many other children you might see, that's always a toss up. On some trains you see lots of kids, other not so many. It just depends on what train you are on and what time of the year you are traveling.

I have a few more questions that came up over the weekend. Even though we're not traveling until December we like to know what we're getting ourselves into.

I know everyone says that your belongings are pretty safe on the train but to be careful with electronics and such, but we were wondering if the attendent is in the car most of the time or only when he's doing something?

When is the best time to take a shower? AM, PM or in the middle of the day when everyone else is looking at the scenery? Is there enought room for me and my 2yr old? I can't very well send him in by himself and expect him to come out clean. :lol:

Is there parking at the terminal in Orlando? Does it cost anything? Is it safe? We have decided to drive to Orlando so we don't have that long layover in Jacksonville where we would have to drag the kids to the station at 1am then try to put them back to sleep in coach.

That's all I can remember right now, I'm sure there will be more later. Thanks again for all the help!

Connie,

Connie said:
I know everyone says that your belongings are pretty safe on the train but to be careful with electronics and such, but we were wondering if the attendant is in the car most of the time or only when he's doing something?
I've never heard of any problems with stuff in general being stolen. I certainly would recommend that you place any radios, cameras, and things like that out of site when you are not in the room. Additionally never, ever leave wallets and/or purses in the room if you are not in the room.

By and large the attendant does stay in the car through out the day. He does leave to get meals for handicapped and seniors in the car, who can't walk to the dining car. He also will leave to take his own meals.

However since the sleepers are always on one side of the diner, while the coaches are on the other side, there should not be any coach passengers wandering around in your sleeper. This cuts down dramatically on the number of people walking around and makes it easier for the attendant to keep track of who’s in the sleeper. I've logged over 30,000 miles on Amtrak and I've never had a problem yet.

Connie said:
When is the best time to take a shower?  AM, PM or in the middle of the day when everyone else is looking at the scenery?  Is there enough room for me and my 2yr old?  I can't very well send him in by himself and expect him to come out clean.   :lol:
Best time would be the afternoon. Most people take a shower in the morning or right before going to bed. Therefore the water is usually hottest in the afternoon. Just remember that the hot water heater isn't that large, so don't take to long of a shower, unless you like a cold shower.

As for your two year-old, assuming that you use the public shower, there should be more than enough room for the two of your. It might get a little tighter if you were to try that with the 7 year-old.

If by some chance you end up taking the deluxe bedroom, then no there won't be enough room for the two of you. Of course you can still go downstairs to the public shower.

Connie said:
Is there parking at the terminal in Orlando?  Does it cost anything?  Is it safe?  We have decided to drive to Orlando so we don't have that long layover in Jacksonville where we would have to drag the kids to the station at 1am then try to put them back to sleep in coach.
I'm not real sure about the parking situation in Orlando, although I don't think that there is too much available. Perhaps Battalion51 who also lives in Florida may know more about that.

Orlando has "Free Short Term Parking" according to Amtrak. There aren't a lot of spaces by the station, but you should be able to find a space. Battalion51, would be the best source as I've only been there once.

Well, it's me again. I've been so busy this year that I haven't had time to post, but things are finally settling down which is good because now that the time is growing near we are getting very excited. We took your advice AlanB and bought our tickets at the end of April - we got the family sleeper. We booked r/t from Orlando so we don't have the layover in Jacksonville.

I do have a couple more questions though. Is there a dress code for the dining rooms? Are you assigned dining times? Since the train departs on x-mas day, is there anything I should know about? I've rented a car in El Paso but I'm afraid that we will be delayed and I won't make it to the car rental place. I know that the train is scheduled to arrive at 3:15pm but what is the average time that it actually arrives? I know the trains run late alot.

That's about it for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions as the time gets closer.

:D

The dining car has no "Dress Code" such as one finds in certain fancy private clubs. Dress is casual. The dining times are arranged through your sleeping car staff member, and these are reservations. The train that travels via El Paso has quite become quite infamous for its lack of punctuality, but that isn't the fault of Amtrak. In all fairness, most other trains in the national system have much better timekeeping and punctuality than the Sunset. The Empire Builder has averaged 80 % or better on-time for the better part of the past several years, with a few exceptions.

Connie said:
I do have a couple more questions though.  Is there a dress code for the dining rooms?  Are you assigned dining times?  Since the train departs on x-mas day, is there anything I should know about?  I've rented a car in El Paso but I'm afraid that we will be delayed and I won't make it to the car rental place.  I know that the train is scheduled to arrive at 3:15pm but what is the average time that it actually arrives?  I know the trains run late alot.
Hi Connie,

To answer your questions, first with the dress code. No there isn't any official dress code on Amtrak Dining cars. I am one that likes to wear a pair of shorts and t-shirt when I am in my sleeper even in the winter because it's so much more comfortable. But I always change before going to the Diner. I usualy wear a pair of Levi's with a nicer t-shirt or usually a polo shirt tucked in with a belt, and tennis shoes. Don't wear anything more then what you would wear to your local family restaurant at home for dinner. People these days do not dress up like they used to 30 years ago for a trip to the dining car. You would feel uncomfortable wearing a dress or 3 piece suit when everyone else almost is in jeans.

As far as dining times go, usually the LSA (lead service attendent) will start in the sleepers and ask what time you would like dinner if there is more then 1 seating time. Usually dinner starts at 5:30 or 6, and the next seating time will be about 1 1/2 hours later then the last time. I was on the Sunset Limited from Jacksonville to New Orleans Thanksgiving night. I beleave the official count on board acording to the Conductor was 88 and 60 of those 88 were in sleppers. Because the train was empty on this night, there was no reservations made for dinner. It was announced that if you want dinner, come on down now since it was the first and last call.

As far as riding Christmas night, Amtrak does not change any of it's service on board because it's a holiday. In fact while on board you won't lnow the difference between Dec 25 or May 3 except for people saying "Merry Christmas". Thanksgiving night wasn't any different then any other day on this train.

Since you will be traveling on Christmas night, your train will make great time ! You will be the only operating train that night, because CSX (the host railroad) will not be running any of there freight trains. We left Jacksonville 2 hours and 15 min late Thanksgiving night and arrived into New Orleans only 5 minutes late in the morning. While Dec 26& 27may showvery little freight traffic between New Orleans and Texas, your train probably will arrive on time or very close to it. Your correct about this train "always" running late, and it's almost always the fault of freight train traffic. But since Christmas will halt all freight traffic, and the 26 and 27 will see much less then normal, you should make good time.

I'm also happy to see you get a sleeper for your family. This will make your trip so much more pleasureable. Many times I see Moms trying to heep there kids undercontrol or busy sitting in coach, and it doen't look very fun to me. I have an 8 year old girl, and she just LOVES traveling in a sleeper. Remember you can have the top bunks put down while keeping the sofa and chairs in there daytime positions. This is great for kids to jump up there and spread out and have there own space. I see you have a Family room which is a good choice. My wife and I (we only have 1 child) prefer to have 2 standard or economy bedrooms (if the price is within reason) We like it better, even more then a Deluxe room or a family room. I will take 1 room and use the upper bed to sit our bags on, while danielle and Kim take the other room.

I hope this helps you out! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Jamie

I am so glad to hear about the Freight trains not running on the 25th hopefully we will get in on-time or at least close to it. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep a "whatever happens, happens" attitude and we'll be fine.

I didn't think there would be much of a dress code but I didn't want to show up in sweats, which is probably what I will be wearing most of the time, and everyone else in slacks. We'll probalby do what you do and take some jeans or something to eat dinner in.

We thought about getting two rooms but thought it would be better with one due to their ages (7 & 2). Just hope they enjoy it. The oldest is very excited about the whole thing.

I just thought of another question. Most of what I've read says that there are no TV's in the sleepers but I read one post today that mentioned something about the tv in the room showed reruns of some sitcoms. Do some of the trains have TV's in the sleepers and some not? Or did I read it wrong? Not that I want to sit in the room and watch TV but if there was one available for after dark (and after the kids are asleep but the adults aren't) that would be good.

There are no TV on Superliners sleeper (double deck cars). There are some Viewliners sleepers (single deck usually found in eastern coast) have TV.

However, there is a movie or two running in one of the cars, but I'm not so sure about it.

Connie said:
I just thought of another question. Most of what I've read says that there are no TV's in the sleepers but I read one post today that mentioned something about the tv in the room showed reruns of some sitcoms. Do some of the trains have TV's in the sleepers and some not? Or did I read it wrong? Not that I want to sit in the room and watch TV but if there was one available for after dark (and after the kids are asleep but the adults aren't) that would be good.
Connie,

nope you didn't read it wrong. The Viewliner Sleeping cars are the only sleeping cars that have a small flat video screen in the rooms. Viewliner cars are only used on these trains: (off the top of my head) Lake shore Limited, Federal, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Silver Star, Silver Meteor and Crescent. They are the sleepers used when a single level car must be used due to overhead clearance. It comes down to any train that goes into New York City must be a single level train. You will be riding on the 2 level Superliner sleeper. There isn't any video screens in these rooms, but they do show movies in the lounge car at certain times of the day or night.

I guess I'll just have to bring a really good book to read after the kids go to bed. Which is fine with me. I haven't had that luxury in a long time. I'm usually getting everything ready for the next day.

What about space for bags? I only plan on bringing a minium of clothes in the sleeper but will my carry on bags fit under the couch/bed? Is there anywhere to hang clothes? I thought I read something about that, too.

Hope I'm not driving everyone crazy. I'm really not neurotic:blink: , just like to know ahead of time so I won't be scrambling to find space for bags or telling my boys that there are TV's in the sleepers only to find out once onboard that there isn't and everyone gets disappointed.

There is a very small closet with enough room to hang either a garment bag or perhaps a coat or two. As for carryon's, as long as they aren't what some people try to pass off as carryon's on an airplane, then they probably should fit under the seats.

If you didn't already, you might want to check out Amtrak's virtual tour of the family sleeper located here. It's down towards the bottom of the page and shows you a 360 degree view of the room in both daytime and nighttime configuration.

Connie said:
What about space for bags? I only plan on bringing a minium of clothes in the sleeper but will my carry on bags fit under the couch/bed?
Connie,

Your luggage will probably fit in the Family room pretty easily, but there is also a large area for luggage just down the hall from the room you'll be in, so if your luggage gets to be in the way while you're in the room, you can move it out of the way and get at it when necessary. I frequently do this and don't have too much trouble getting at the luggage and I've never had a problem of someone stealing anything from it.

Hello everyone! The time has finally come. One more day to go and I can't wait. I'm tying up all the loose ends at work this morning and then going home to finish packing. We decided that we didn't want to drive our van to Orlando and leave it there for 11 days so I we got tickets on the Silver Metor leaving at 7 in the morning. It's going to be an early X-mas morning for the kids.

We have coach seating for that part of the trip any suggestions on where's the best place to sit? My 2 yr old loves to stand in the seat and look over the back but I don't want him bothering anyone. What is the seating arrangement? Are there two seats on each side of the aisle? If so I guess I can put him in front of my husband and oldest son. I hoping he will sleep some of the way, but who knows if he will be able to with everyone around.

When should we be at the station? Is there alot of security that we have to go through? Can we check our bags straight throught to El Paso or will we have to recheck them in Orlando?

Wish us luck! I'll let you know how it goes when we get back. Thanks to everyone who has helped answer all my questions. Hope I didn't drive you too crazy.

Wishing everyone a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Connie

P.S. Happy belated birthday AlanB. Thanks for all your help!!!

Connie,

While I suppose that I could be wrong, but I don't think that the Meteor will be all that full on Christmas morning, at least until it gets to Orlando. So it probably won't be too big of a problem if the two-year-old is peeking over the seat back.

However if you want to play it safe, then ask the attendant for two rows on the same side of the aisle. Yes the seating is two by two, with the aisle in the middle. These are nicer, larger seats than you'll find in an airplane however.

Now I would recomend arriving at least 45 minutes before departure, since you want to check luggage. That takes some extra time, and they may cut off baggage checking around 5 to 10 minutes before departure. Depending on your needs and circumstances you may even wish to allow more than 45 minutes. You can check your bags straight through. Amtrak will transfer them at Orlando. Just remember to hold onto your overnight bags, as you will have no access to the checked bags during the trip.

There however is no major security concerns, no luggage searches, no metal detectors to worry about. Just make sure that you and your husband have photo id's with you, driver's licenses are fine.

Have a great trip! :)

Happy Holidays, too. :)

And thanks for the B-day wishes. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back