Trifecta of downgrades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darien-l

OBS Chief
I just returned from a trip DEN-EMY-PDX-WGL and back. On the way out, I experienced a "perfect storm" of downgrades from roomette to coach:

DEN-EMY: Downgraded to coach due to mechanical issues with the sleeper car, including a broken air conditioner.

EMY-PDX: Bustituted due to extremely late train.

PDX-WGL: Downgraded to coach due to a bad-ordered Portland sleeper.

On the CZ (DEN-EMY), the conductor said that everyone downgraded to coach will automatically receive a full refund of their accomodation charges. However, I was traveling on an AGR award, so I'm a bit confused about who I should call and how much compensation I should ask for. Should I call AGR or Amtrak Customer Service (or both), and what would be a reasonable points refund or voucher amount to ask for? Thanks.

I think you can get you AGR points back for what happened. However I'm not sure if you can double dip and call and get vouchers from Amtrak's Customer Service.

Sorry to hear that all that happened! Thats quite a distance to find yourself in coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this happen last year on an AGR "Loophole" trip from KCY-CBS, the EB PDX-CHI sleeper on #28 was bad ordered, we had to ride in coach. Upon reaching home I contacted AGR, received a rebate of difference between coach and sleeper points on this route. On the SWC#3 the toliets went out in our sleeper for the entire run so I called CR and they sent me a voucher for $100 even though it was an AGR trip. I get the impression it depends on which agent you get and that it's negotiable. I fyou dont get what you think is a fair offer/settlement on your rebate/voucher ask for a Supervisor or even call back as is often said by posters on this site! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really up to you as to whom you want to call and what you consider more valuable. Going the AGR route however should get you a refund of the point difference between the sleeper amount and the coach amount. Going the other way would without a doubt get you a voucher, the question is how much? It could be worth more than the points or less, at least in terms of using those points on a future trip.

If it's easy for you to earn points, then that might be a better argument for going in the voucher direction, even though there are no guarantees on what you'd get. If earning points is harder, then it may well be worth it to go with the known commodity, a refund of your points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back